More fun with Lava Lamps and Plasma Globes?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
RobC

11 Mar 2019

I do have 1 lava lamp, and the best thing about it is that it can help keep me focused. It's an excellent little device to have a better mood.

Right now, I was thinking about having two (one to the left, and another to the right), with a Plasma Globe in the center. Though I just read, a plasma globe can mess with WIFI.

I never liked just working with a light on, or in the dark with the screen glowing.

So yeah, work environment indeed matters a lot, too.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2019

I've got two of these babies...
Attachments
Solar-250-projection.jpg
Solar-250-projection.jpg (315.37 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
Opti_Solar405.jpg
Opti_Solar405.jpg (135.54 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jagwah

11 Mar 2019

RobC wrote:
11 Mar 2019
I do have 1 lava lamp, and the best thing about it is that it can help keep me focused. It's an excellent little device to have a better mood.
With the lights off and my lava lamp on, there is a great mood created in my room, it's unmistakable.

MrFigg wrote:
11 Mar 2019
Wow nice bit of kit!!

I have a glass and dye kit from Liquid Light Labs (https://liquidlightlab.bigcartel.com) which allows visuals like you see in the image. I need a good projector though, and then it can be projected on to a wall or house. I'm interested in recording a close up like the image and playing around with it in a synchronised way (the plates can be moved or tapped to a beat for instance), and an old school overhead projector should apparently work well for this.

Australian customs opened up every one of my bottles of dye and tested them :o

GreenWorld2_19x13.jpg
GreenWorld2_19x13.jpg (221.2 KiB) Viewed 1835 times

Yours looks crazy powerful, must be a lot of fun!

RobC

11 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
11 Mar 2019
I gotta start small. xD I want to get a projector, but I might use it for XXL Reason projection.

RobC

11 Mar 2019

Jagwah wrote:
11 Mar 2019

With the lights off and my lava lamp on, there is a great mood created in my room, it's unmistakable.
I have a yellow one in blue water, which makes a blend between green, and orange at the bottom. Love this kind of stuff. I also liked candles, but they go away too fast.

A plasma globe would add a bit of extra voodoo. Though it's said to interfere with radio frequency.

SoulState

11 Mar 2019

Just googled the Solar-250-projection and Opti_Solar405. Ooo they're not cheap.
Think i'll make do with my wee Mathmos for now ;)
Attachments
Mathmos projector.jpg
Mathmos projector.jpg (102.75 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
:reason:

RobC

11 Mar 2019

SoulState wrote:
11 Mar 2019
Anything works that gives you a bit of one thousand and one nights feeling.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2019

RobC wrote:
11 Mar 2019
SoulState wrote:
11 Mar 2019
Anything works that gives you a bit of one thousand and one nights feeling.
To be honest it’s two Solar 250s I’ve got. Bought them ‘89/ ‘90. Got a spinning prism attachment which is also pretty cool.
There was a thing you could get called Splodascope or something which was a device which shot air into an oil wheel. There was also a thing which had colored crystals which changed in pulses. I’ve got a couple of different oil wheels and a bunch of cartridges. Optifanatics often have 2nd hand stuff so maybe worth checking them out if you’re interested. Don’t actually know if they’re still in business.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2019

Jagwah wrote:
11 Mar 2019

I have a glass and dye kit from Liquid Light Labs (https://liquidlightlab.bigcartel.com) which allows visuals like you see in the image. I need a good projector though, and then it can be projected on to a wall or house. I'm interested in recording a close up like the image and playing around with it in a synchronised way (the plates can be moved or tapped to a beat for instance), and an old school overhead projector should apparently work well for this.

Australian customs opened up every one of my bottles of dye and tested them :o

GreenWorld2_19x13.jpg

Yours looks crazy powerful, must be a lot of fun!
Wow!!! Old school analogue style. Niiiiiiiice!!!
For pulses read the comment above about the Splodascope :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

SoulState

11 Mar 2019

Cheers, I'll check out all of these...
...cause I do love a bit of that bathe-your-room-in-a-myriad-of-ever-changing-light and colour-psychedelic-60's-loveliness-thang.

MrFigg wrote:
11 Mar 2019

To be honest it’s two Solar 250s I’ve got. Bought them ‘89/ ‘90.
Ahaa 1990 eh! I'm guessing you had some sort of Rave club thing going at the time ya? ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2019

SoulState wrote:
11 Mar 2019
Cheers, I'll check out all of these...
...cause I do love a bit of that bathe-your-room-in-a-myriad-of-ever-changing-light and colour-psychedelic-60's-loveliness-thang.

MrFigg wrote:
11 Mar 2019

To be honest it’s two Solar 250s I’ve got. Bought them ‘89/ ‘90.
Ahaa 1990 eh! I'm guessing you had some sort of Rave club thing going at the time ya? ;)
Ha ha. :). Or something like it 😉
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2019

Jagwah...if you do get a decent projector then try projecting on to snow or apple blossom. Awesome!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

RobC

11 Mar 2019

If there's anything else ~ mostly into more physical visuals, I'm interested.
Gotta say, a fish tank would be cool, too.

plaamook

11 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
11 Mar 2019
Wow, youre keen!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

11 Mar 2019

RobC wrote:
11 Mar 2019
If there's anything else ~ mostly into more physical visuals, I'm interested.
Gotta say, a fish tank would be cool, too.
Funny you say that. I use vids that become part of my AV rig. Footage of stuff I film underwater. Movement of kelp, light playing on the surface from below. It's great stuff but I try to steer clear of fish...
I make my own screen savers with em so I can listen to bounces, do my stupid chinese exorciese, and critique things. Probably my fav past time.
Next to actually diving anyway.

Or here.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2019

plaamook wrote:
11 Mar 2019
MrFigg wrote:
11 Mar 2019
Wow, youre keen!
These were essential hardware during the 2nd summer of love man. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2019

plaamook wrote:
11 Mar 2019

I make my own screen savers with em so I can listen to bounces, do my stupid chinese exorciese, and critique things. Probably my fav past time.
What do you do for stupid Chinese exercises? I’m a Tai Chi instructor. Nearly 25 years now. 24 style Nei Kung every day :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

11 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
11 Mar 2019
plaamook wrote:
11 Mar 2019

Wow, youre keen!
These were essential hardware during the 2nd summer of love man. :).
I missed that. I was on a kind of extended vision quest out in a desert.
Which is funny cause I got back to the world and missed it all but still got really inot rave music but with totally different associations

Or here.

plaamook

11 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
11 Mar 2019
plaamook wrote:
11 Mar 2019

What do you do for stupid Chinese exercises? I’m a Tai Chi instructor. Nearly 25 years now. 24 style Nei Kung every day :).
Hah!
I did years of tai chi and Aikido but stopped rather than getting into teahing. Long story. I just do chi kung now. Though I'm not sure what style I'd call it any more as it's morphed. I've combined elements of the chinese, japanese, and now Tibetan (which is strange stuff). Love it but I can't ever convince anyone of it's benifits. I don't hang out with anyone else that does anything like that any more and people just tell me I must have good genes. Maybe they're right.
So it goes.

Or here.

SoulState

11 Mar 2019

plaamook wrote:
11 Mar 2019
MrFigg wrote:
11 Mar 2019

Hah!
I did years of tai chi and Aikido but stopped rather than getting into teahing. Long story. I just do chi kung now. Though I'm not sure what style I'd call it any more as it's morphed. I've combined elements of the chinese, japanese, and now Tibetan (which is strange stuff). Love it but I can't ever convince anyone of it's benifits. I don't hang out with anyone else that does anything like that any more and people just tell me I must have good genes. Maybe they're right.
So it goes.
Guys, Can I join your club pwease?
I did a 6 week Tai Chi course only 15 years ago...forgotten everything I learned except that I liked it :mrgreen:

Wish I knew what style it was. Love to learn it properly. Either that or Yoga.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2019

SoulState wrote:
11 Mar 2019
plaamook wrote:
11 Mar 2019

Hah!
So it goes.
I did a 6 week Tai Chi course only 15 years ago...forgotten everything I learned except that I liked it :mrgreen:

Since moving out to the sticks in Sweden from Glasgow I’ve been continuing practicing Tai Chi daily as well as the 24 internal strength exercises. The only thing I miss is having someone to practice push hands and martial applications with. My kids are still pretty young so I’ve got them doing a hard Kung Fu form. My oldest is learning tai chi pushing hands and my youngest I’m teaching Sabre form. Trying to get students is hard. People (not referring to you) don’t realize that it’s not something you can learn in 6 weeks. It really takes a long time. I’ve been training for 25 years and every time I do my form I see something new and everything starts again :).
The only advice I’d give you is seek out a good teacher. If they’re only teaching movement for health I’d look further. I don’t know though maybe that’s all you want. If it was me I’d be looking for a teacher who you could learn all five aspects. Hand form, weapons (spear, Sabre and sword), martial applications, push hands and internal strength (Nei Kung). Where are you situated? I can maybe help you find a class which would suit. Let me know. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

SoulState

11 Mar 2019

How did this post go from trippy Lava lamps to Tai Chi? :D

Glaswegian eh! I'm just along the road - Edinburgh.

You mean it's gonna take more than a few weekend night classes to be like David Carradine? :o

The 6 week thing I did was just a wee intro really.
I remember the instructor getting us to gently push your partner from one end of the hall to the other while holding your breath, to see how far you could go without taking another breath.
He also spoke about relaxing your muscles when doing something strenuous instead of tensing them. The analogy he gave was "new born babies - without any effort - being able to hold on to and dangle from washing lines" for ages.
And loads of intricate complex movements to practice.

Yeah, If you've got some good contacts in Edin or near, let me know I'll check 'em out.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2019

SoulState wrote:
11 Mar 2019

Glaswegian eh! I'm just along the road - Edinburgh.

You mean it's gonna take more than a few weekend night classes to be like David Carradine? :o

The 6 week thing I did was just a wee intro really.
I remember the instructor getting us to gently push your partner from one end of the hall to the other while holding your breath, to see how far you could go without taking another breath.
He also spoke about relaxing your muscles when doing something strenuous instead of tensing them. The analogy he gave was "new born babies - without any effort - being able to hold on to and dangle from washing lines" for ages.
And loads of intricate complex movements to practice.

Yeah, If you've got some good contacts in Edin or near, let me know I'll check 'em out.
If you’re in Edinburgh you’ve got it good man. Google Five Winds. Ian Cameron. He is the man to go to. He learned Tai Chi in the 70s from Cheng Tin Hung in Hong Kong. Seriously...do it. You won’t get a better teacher. I am actually jealous :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

11 Mar 2019

MrFigg wrote:
11 Mar 2019
SoulState wrote:
11 Mar 2019

The only thing I miss is having someone to practice push hands and martial applications with.
Same. Push hands is great. I wish I could find an informal group of people that just want to get together to play push hands.
When I lived in the desert in USA I was working on a building crew w a load of my Aikido friends. We used to play push hands all through lunch, then hit the Dojo after work. Good days.

Id have thought you'd get your kids playing push hands. Its like a game you can get stuck into. I play with my daughter. She's 10.

Or here.

plaamook

11 Mar 2019

SoulState wrote:
11 Mar 2019
Well, mucking around with that sort of thing can get pretty trippy I guess. And the form (slow motion part of tai chi) is kinda like a lava lamp?

It was my fault actually but I was more talking about my underwater vids.

Or here.

• Information