Location of standard RE patches

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
boingy

11 Mar 2019

Simple question: Most REs come with a bunch of "factory" patches which you find in the "Rack Extensions" section of the browser. They are typically ".repatch" files but might be combinators etc.

Where are they stored on a Windows PC?

I've found the RE locations in the "...\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions\" bit, containing a DLL or two and also a ".DATA" file. Are the patches in the ".DATA" file or are they somewhere else?

I'm on a quest to reorganise stuff.

ScuzzyEye

11 Mar 2019

boingy wrote:
11 Mar 2019
I've found the RE locations in the "...\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions\" bit, containing a DLL or two and also a ".DATA" file. Are the patches in the ".DATA" file or are they somewhere else?
Yes, the patches are packed into the .data file, but so are the graphics, and GUI code. Also Reason doesn't actually browse into the .data file when you go looking for patches. The RE's directory is considered the root of the RE browser. The .dll and the .data files should be considered inseparable.

If you want to move where the REs are installed, there are several threads about that topic if you look around.

boingy

11 Mar 2019

Thanks. I have no intention to move the REs. I was hoping to be able to move all my patches and refills for a particular device into the "root" of the factory patches directory for that device so the browser would automatically show all the available patches. I sort of achieve the same thing by having a "faves" folder per device but that soon gets a bit klunky.

Of course, what I'd really really like is for Reason to be able to scan a whole bunch of locations and refills, catalogue everything by device and then show me every relevant patch/setting in the browser window for whatever device I am using.

• Information