Just a better Matrix?...

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
plaamook

08 Mar 2019

Perhaps I've missed something but i hoped by now there would be a Re that was basically just a better Matrix.
There are loads of drum sequencers that are 8-16 track jobs and they do everything you'd want a sequencer to do. Random, curve, on/off grid, patch loading, etc. But what they DON'T do is play the whole 5 octaves that a matrix does. Which is pretty crucial to how I work. Being able to slice the hell out of shit, load into an NNXT, and sequence the lot. But I can't see more than an octave at a time, get off the feckin grid, or save patches without work arounds.
I just did a lap of the props shop but it seems to be all variations on the same thing. Anyone with any possible ideas here, help a brother out eh?

Thanks
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

artotaku

08 Mar 2019

plaamook wrote:
08 Mar 2019
Perhaps I've missed something but i hoped by now there would be a Re that was basically just a better Matrix.
There are loads of drum sequencers that are 8-16 track jobs and they do everything you'd want a sequencer to do. Random, curve, on/off grid, patch loading, etc. But what they DON'T do is play the whole 5 octaves that a matrix does. Which is pretty crucial to how I work. Being able to slice the hell out of shit, load into an NNXT, and sequence the lot. But I can't see more than an octave at a time, get off the feckin grid, or save patches without work arounds.
I just did a lap of the props shop but it seems to be all variations on the same thing. Anyone with any possible ideas here, help a brother out eh?

Thanks
Ofc it is not exactly the same UI wise but the Kompulsion player has one page where you can set the Octave for each note step. Doesn´t this allow you to play a broad octave range?

mjxl

08 Mar 2019

Yep, Kompulsion does 5 octaves.

Also 16 sequencers in one, it was a no brain purchase for me.

plaamook

08 Mar 2019

artotaku wrote:
08 Mar 2019
plaamook wrote:
08 Mar 2019

Thanks
Ofc it is not exactly the same UI wise but the Kompulsion player has one page where you can set the Octave for each note step. Doesn´t this allow you to play a broad octave range?
It should but free running off the grid is gonna be essential for me for £70. Looks like it’s snapped only, no?

Or here.

artotaku

08 Mar 2019

plaamook wrote:
08 Mar 2019
artotaku wrote:
08 Mar 2019

It should but free running off the grid is gonna be essential for me for £70. Looks like it’s snapped only, no?
There is a tab/page in Kompulsion where you can add a delay to each step so it is off the quantized grid. I think there has been another thread about this if it is also possible to "prealign" a step, so I´m not sure right now if this is possible.

Thats the thread about it:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7510564&p=427838&hi ... ay#p427838

buddard
RE Developer

08 Mar 2019

plaamook wrote:
08 Mar 2019

Thanks
Our Step Note Recorder covers the full MIDI note range, i e more than 11 octaves.
You either step record notes into it using your MIDI controller (or Reason's onscreen keyboard), or you can draw notes directly in the display.

What it's missing is randomization and multiple patterns. The former can be worked around by recording randomized notes from a Matrix, and the latter can be worked around using our free Select CV Switch.

In addition it has per-step repeats and trigger conditions (probability and recurrence), two curve channels, tons of CV inputs including external clock...

plaamook

08 Mar 2019

artotaku wrote:
08 Mar 2019
plaamook wrote:
08 Mar 2019

There is a tab/page in Kompulsion where you can add a delay to each step so it is off the quantized grid. I think there has been another thread about this if it is also possible to "prealign" a step, so I´m not sure right now if this is possible.

Thats the thread about it:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7510564&p=427838&hi ... ay#p427838
No I'm looking to be able to roll the speed of the thing like automating the tempo but only of the matrix.

Or here.

plaamook

08 Mar 2019

Anyway, I think we've exhausted this.
Thanks for your input everyone. I'll check out the options n see what I get.
In the mean time, I'll keep hoping for a simple forward/backward Matrix with free run capabilities.

Or here.

buddard
RE Developer

08 Mar 2019

plaamook wrote:
08 Mar 2019
Anyway, I think we've exhausted this.
Thanks for your input everyone. I'll check out the options n see what I get.
In the mean time, I'll keep hoping for a simple forward/backward Matrix with free run capabilities.
Step Note Recorder can run independent of tempo if you connect a free running clock signal (for example a square LFO from Pulsar) into its Clock CV input. Every pulse it receives will advance the sequence one step. It also runs forwards/backwards/pendulum/random etc.

plaamook

08 Mar 2019

Ah cheers. I'll check it out.

Or here.

challism

11 Mar 2019

Step Note Recorder, as Buddard pointed out, is a good choice. It is amazing. It does everything the Matrix does and so, so, so much more. Dare I use the cliche.... Matrix on steroids?

Kompulsion is also an amazing sequencer. Does what Matrix does and also, so much more.

Both are great. I have them both and don't ever use the Matrix anymore. I'm not sure what else you would want in a sequencer when your just asking for a more advanced Matrix. You have two great choices available now. Give them a try.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Melody303

11 Mar 2019

challism wrote:
11 Mar 2019
Step Note Recorder, as Buddard pointed out, is a good choice. It is amazing. It does everything the Matrix does and so, so, so much more. Dare I use the cliche.... Matrix on steroids?

Kompulsion is also an amazing sequencer. Does what Matrix does and also, so much more.

Both are great. I have them both and don't ever use the Matrix anymore. I'm not sure what else you would want in a sequencer when your just asking for a more advanced Matrix. You have two great choices available now. Give them a try.
I have both Step & Korde (not Kompulsion, but I'm fine with it) and love them too, but there are still features I dream of.
To simplify it to one lane, it'd be the probability of alterations per note (any one or more of the following: altering its octave, its length (tied/staccato), its number of retriggers, its velocity). Without that simplification, it'd be one lane for each of those potential alterations.

Also, come to think of it, you know how pattern devices in the rack generally feature an 'alter' button that rearranges the sequence entirely? It could be nifty to have a knob that sets the probability of a temporary alteration to the whole pattern like that for each run through the sequence.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

• Information