Facebook, Instagram and Messenger. Next is Whatsapp.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2398
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 04 Mar 2019

A few mouse clicks and everything is gone. Facebook, Instagram and Messenger. Next up is Whatsapp.

Been there, done that. Facebook is evil.

On my own domain is where I live.
Marco Raaphorst

Music & soundware https://melodiefabriek.com.
Check out my new ReFill Rockmen: https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rockmen ... available/

Ostermilk
Posts: 1513
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Mar 2019

...and the slinky link award goes to...

YAY, Marco :D

User avatar
moneykube
Posts: 1828
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Mar 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Mar 2019
.Facebook is evil.
my own domain is where I live.
:exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
yup

User avatar
SoulState
Posts: 281
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Mar 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Mar 2019

Been there, done that. Facebook is evil.

:shock:
Agreed!
:reason:

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 5398
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 04 Mar 2019

You are late....Welcome to the party...
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1077
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 04 Mar 2019

Instagram, Messenger, Whatsapp: they all belong to Facebook.

Facebook bought Instagram for $1B
Facebook bought Whatsapp for $19B (not a typo)

Even if you don't have OR never had a Facebook account you may still have a 'shadow profile' on the platform.

DuckDuckGo 'Facebook shadow profiles'. Even if this is evil I am fascinated by the technology.

We are in the belly of the beast.

Enjoy life :puf_smile:

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2398
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 04 Mar 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
04 Mar 2019
Instagram, Messenger, Whatsapp: they all belong to Facebook.

Facebook bought Instagram for $1B
Facebook bought Whatsapp for $19B (not a typo)

Even if you don't have OR never had a Facebook account you may still have a 'shadow profile' on the platform.

DuckDuckGo 'Facebook shadow profiles'. Even if this is evil I am fascinated by the technology.

We are in the belly of the beast.

Enjoy life :puf_smile:
thanks! found some stuff to read. yes fascinating indeed. also when the people continue using it.
Marco Raaphorst

Music & soundware https://melodiefabriek.com.
Check out my new ReFill Rockmen: https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rockmen ... available/

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 428
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 04 Mar 2019

I deleted FB like 5 years ago, though I still got a "fan page" there I seldom update, and never got Instagram! I'm keeping WhatsApp though.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1077
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 04 Mar 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Mar 2019
bxbrkrz wrote:
04 Mar 2019
Instagram, Messenger, Whatsapp: they all belong to Facebook.

Facebook bought Instagram for $1B
Facebook bought Whatsapp for $19B (not a typo)

Even if you don't have OR never had a Facebook account you may still have a 'shadow profile' on the platform.

DuckDuckGo 'Facebook shadow profiles'. Even if this is evil I am fascinated by the technology.

We are in the belly of the beast.

Enjoy life :puf_smile:
thanks! found some stuff to read. yes fascinating indeed. also when the people continue using it.
Study: Cell phone-related pedestrian injuries soar
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... e/2824515/





From the Horse's mouth. They know exactly what they are doing.

User avatar
WeLoveYouToo
Posts: 136
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Location: portland, or

Post 06 Mar 2019

yeah. i maintain a facebook profile and edit it with false information and cookies etc since otherwise i will have a shadow profile with accurate information... better to defeat the system from within etc...

User avatar
Karim
Posts: 798
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Italy

Post 06 Mar 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Mar 2019
I deleted FB like 5 years ago, though I still got a "fan page" there I seldom update, and never got Instagram! I'm keeping WhatsApp though.
??? is still possible to have a fan page ??? also if you have not an account facebook?
Because I'm looking for this but I have my record label's fan page and my artist page.
If I delete the account I'll loose everything! :puf_unhappy:

Can you explain?
Karim Le Mec : Dj / Producer / Label Owner ( :reason: Vers 10.2 on  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.karimlemec.it/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://www.facebook.com/karimlemec
https://www.mixcloud.com/lemecdj/

User avatar
minilog
Posts: 193
Joined: 07 Aug 2018
Location: California

Post 06 Mar 2019

I go through phases of deactivation when I get tired of everybody's bullshit. Living in your own little world is one thing but keeping up with (musical) current events including music groups is another aspect that I'd rather not write off completely.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 428
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 06 Mar 2019

Karim wrote:
06 Mar 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Mar 2019
I deleted FB like 5 years ago, though I still got a "fan page" there I seldom update, and never got Instagram! I'm keeping WhatsApp though.
??? is still possible to have a fan page ??? also if you have not an account facebook?
Because I'm looking for this but I have my record label's fan page and my artist page.
If I delete the account I'll loose everything! :puf_unhappy:

Can you explain?
Create dummy account with no info or friends. Give it admin privileges to the fan page. Delete main profile. Use the dummy for updating the page.

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 930
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 06 Mar 2019

Yeah I don't get whats app. It's a free way of texting people etc. What's the problem? How are people using it if they need to delete it?

User avatar
ScuzzyEye
Posts: 1300
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Mar 2019

plaamook wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Yeah I don't get whats app. It's a free way of texting people etc. What's the problem? How are people using it if they need to delete it?
WhatsApp uses your phone number for authentication, something you can't easily discard like a tracking cookie. It also collects your address book to find your friends numbers. These details are then combined with everything else Facebook knows about you, and who you know. Then Facebook associates these details with either your real profile, or your shadow profile (if you don't have an account). That collection of information about you is then sold to advertisers who track you around the web with targeted ads.

Free is the worst. You have to ask why are they providing a service for free? What are they getting from it? If you aren't the consumer buying something, you're the product being sold.

User avatar
MarkTarlton
Posts: 458
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Post 06 Mar 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
06 Mar 2019
plaamook wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Yeah I don't get whats app. It's a free way of texting people etc. What's the problem? How are people using it if they need to delete it?
WhatsApp uses your phone number for authentication, something you can't easily discard like a tracking cookie. It also collects your address book to find your friends numbers. These details are then combined with everything else Facebook knows about you, and who you know. Then Facebook associates these details with either your real profile, or your shadow profile (if you don't have an account). That collection of information about you is then sold to advertisers who track you around the web with targeted ads.

Free is the worst. You have to ask why are they providing a service for free? What are they getting from it? If you aren't the consumer buying something, you're the product being sold.
I feel ya on that! even reasontalk feels this way, you have to learn how to navigate through all the noise :)

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 930
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 06 Mar 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Free is the worst. You have to ask why are they providing a service for free? What are they getting from it? If you aren't the consumer buying something, you're the product being sold.
Oh yeah, for sure. I just throught there was some other reason he deleted whatsaap. Misunderstanding maybe.

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2398
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 06 Mar 2019

free is possible. look at open source. a perfect app for DM is Signal
Marco Raaphorst

Music & soundware https://melodiefabriek.com.
Check out my new ReFill Rockmen: https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rockmen ... available/

User avatar
ScuzzyEye
Posts: 1300
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Mar 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
06 Mar 2019
free is possible. look at open source. a perfect app for DM is Signal
Open Source is Free as is Freedom, not free as in beer. Redhat's Enterprise Linux was not free of cost, but you received the source to it when purchased. Most large Open Source project have enterprise solutions where you may purchase support. It's a philosophy not a pricing structure.

Signal is far from perfect though. They have never demonstrated that the client they distribute is actually built from the available source code. In fact, they behave differently when it comes to finding contacts. They are definitely doing something more with collecting your address book. Because as soon as you install Signal, other people who have your number are notified that you have joined.

retreed
Posts: 72
Joined: 18 Sep 2018

Post 07 Mar 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Signal is far from perfect though. They have never demonstrated that the client they distribute is actually built from the available source code. In fact, they behave differently when it comes to finding contacts. They are definitely doing something more with collecting your address book. Because as soon as you install Signal, other people who have your number are notified that you have joined.
I left Whatsapp when Facebook bought it a few years ago. Alternatives like Signal, Threema or others are a little more to trust, but use the same procedure. I ended up using XMPP clients, e.g. Conversations on Android, chatSecure on iOS, Gajim on Linux/Windows. I like the concept of decentralized servers and not having the bondage to a certain client.

It takes a little effort to set it up as it does not have the easiness of scanning your address book and send it to a company that crosschecks for potential people in their data base. I noticed people are harder to convince without this convenience feature like that. I ended up with some people sending me e-mails or SMS now instead. That's the worst that can happen when leaving Whatsapp (aside missing some super VERY important group chats :)).

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2398
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 07 Mar 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
06 Mar 2019
free is possible. look at open source. a perfect app for DM is Signal
Open Source is Free as is Freedom, not free as in beer. Redhat's Enterprise Linux was not free of cost, but you received the source to it when purchased. Most large Open Source project have enterprise solutions where you may purchase support. It's a philosophy not a pricing structure.
TCP/IP is open source and free. Were we the product on internet from the start?

I believe that when people say "when something is free, you are the product" is not true in many cases. Isn't TCP/IP a good example, Wikipedia, Archive.org or most services which are donation based? Wikipedia uses 0 trackers. It is truly free imo.
ScuzzyEye wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
06 Mar 2019
free is possible. look at open source. a perfect app for DM is Signal
Signal is far from perfect though. They have never demonstrated that the client they distribute is actually built from the available source code. In fact, they behave differently when it comes to finding contacts. They are definitely doing something more with collecting your address book. Because as soon as you install Signal, other people who have your number are notified that you have joined.
Yes, Signal knows your number. It can match that to other people using your number. My telcom can do the same. I get phone calls from marketeers because I have a company. Yes this is a problem but I cannot think of a better solution at the moment than Signal. Maybe not having a phone at all.

I don't want to be to paranoid about it. My personal trust in Facebook is very low, so that's why I choose this better alternative. I am still on Twitter. Still like it. Mastodon is nice but still not happening.

Keep a heathy balance is key I guess. Nothing is perfect.
Marco Raaphorst

Music & soundware https://melodiefabriek.com.
Check out my new ReFill Rockmen: https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rockmen ... available/

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1210
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 24 Mar 2019

How about Reddit and Discord?

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1077
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 24 Mar 2019

Facebook stored up to 600 million user account passwords without encryption and viewable as plain text to tens of thousands of company employees, according to a report Thursday by cybersecurity journalist Brian Krebs.

Facebook confirmed the report in a blog post. Facebook shares were down less than 1 percent Thursday. The Irish Data Protection Commission, which administers the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation, or GDPR, also said Thursday that Facebook had reached out over the issue: “We are currently seeking further information,” the commission said in a statement.

The 600 million users represents a significant portion of Facebook’s user base of 2.7 billion people. The company said Thursday it planned to start notifying those affected so they could change their passwords.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/21/faceboo ... words.html

How many websites/services you log in using your Facebook account for convenience? :ugeek:

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests