Keyboard tracking as modulation source ?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
dusan.cani

05 Mar 2019

Hi all,

Let's say I have some parameter on the device which couldn't be modulated by "keyboard tracking" modulation source natively. So I wrap the device with combi and in the programmer I select the particular parameter. But in the list of the modulation sources are only combi controllers, performance controllers and CV inputs.

So how I would assign the "keyboard tracking" to modify my desired parameter ? Is there some device which sends out CV signal values based on MIDI notes ? I believe there is some simple solution perhaps with some stock device.

Thanks !

dusan.cani

05 Mar 2019

OK, I found the solution, it's easy :mrgreen:

Just grab some device which can provide "MIDI note" as modulation source and CV output as destination. For example, Thor. Include it in the combi and connect the CV output of Thor into CV input of Combi.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2019

Yes, you could use Thor or Europa for this. Use their mod matrix to send keyboard tracking to a CV out, then route that into the CV input of the Combinator.

You might also be able to do this using an RPG-8 device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loque

05 Mar 2019

You can do this in polyphonie with CVPT and e.g. Mopol or just Distributor.
Reason12, Win10

dusan.cani

05 Mar 2019

:Haha, we wrote the same answer at the same time Timmy Crowne :lol: ...thanks.

Just small tip on the top of that:

Very handy device is the "Janitor CV Shaper" utility (it's free). It allows you to manipulate CV signals straight from the front panel, no back panel switching needed for modulation amount, etc. It's good device for adjusting the basics of the CV signals, very simple, straightforward device.

In this case I use "Scale" knob for keyboard tracking modulation amount and "Offset" knob for initial value of modulated parameter (for example initial value for the Cutoff on the external filter device).

selig
RE Developer

05 Mar 2019

Note that all solutions using CV will be monophonic, limiting you to playing only one note at a time.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information