ABL3

Discuss VST stuff here!
TranceTip

03 Mar 2019

Hi,

I started experimenting with Audiorealism's ABL3 in Reason 10.2.2d1.

I have two questions:

1. Where can I find the MIDI mapping for ABL3? I want to remote-control the ABL3 knobs via MIDI and need to know the controller numbers for each knob.
2. Using the internal sequencer of ABL3 works fine. But when playing notes via MIDI, I get quite a bit of clicking noises in ABL3. Is that a known problem? How can that be prevented?

eusti

03 Mar 2019

TranceTip wrote:
03 Mar 2019
Hi,

I have two questions:

1. Where can I find the MIDI mapping for ABL3? I want to remote-control the ABL3 knobs via MIDI and need to know the controller numbers for each knob.
2. Using the internal sequencer of ABL3 works fine. But when playing notes via MIDI, I get quite a bit of clicking noises in ABL3. Is that a known problem? How can that be prevented?
Hey! Can't help you with the MIDI mapping, but the external sequencer makes ABL3 click when notes are right after each other... Try to shorten them by hand... That works for me. I find the I get best results at about a bit under 200 ticks... It a known problem and I reported it several times, but it's unlikely to get fixed. :(

D.

joeyluck

03 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
03 Mar 2019
TranceTip wrote:
03 Mar 2019
Hi,

I have two questions:

Hey! Can't help you with the MIDI mapping, but the external sequencer makes ABL3 click when notes are right after each other... Try to shorten them by hand... That works for me. I find the I get best results at about a bit under 200 ticks... It a known problem and I reported it several times, but it's unlikely to get fixed. :(

D.
I can't share too much info, but I am a tester for both the VST and RE versions of ABL3. Rest assured that it is always being worked on and improved and Mike is very particular about the engine and it's accuracy... It's the reason why for the longest time it has held the first place spot on acidvoice as the most accurate 303 emulation and won other awards for best emulation, and it continues to get better...

Yes, the clicks when using an external sequencer is a known issue that I believe will be addressed at some point in an update. As eusti suggested, that is the way to fix it if working with an external sequencer.

That said, the built-in sequencer is the best way to work with it IMO. You have a very advanced and handy Random mode (where you have control over the key, notes, density of gates, slides, accents etc) as well as a grid mode and step record function. With the random mode, just choose some notes and start hitting 'next seed' until you find something you like...dial in the densities for parameters...it's really fun and makes discovering the perfect riff so easy.

You can then automate the pattern knob and save your patterns as well (very great when just building riffs and then choosing riffs for other songs). I never work in Reason's sequencer for ABL3 notes, because using the built-in sequencer is incredibly useful (and plays and behaves like the original; as-in spacing between notes).

If you do want to work in Reason's sequencer, aside from the suggestion of checking spacing between notes, you could instead work in ABL3 first and then send notes to track using a Player device. No clicks when using the internal sequencer or after exporting from the internal sequencer...and then you can take advantage of the flexible random mode and step record functions. Just my two cents :)

PS: I assume you are using the VST since you posted in the VST forum?

eusti

03 Mar 2019

joeyluck wrote:
03 Mar 2019

Yes, the clicks when using an external sequencer is a known issue that I believe will be addressed at some point in an update.
Well, that would be lovely. Just not how I understood the replies I got from the developer. :(

D.

TranceTip

07 Mar 2019

Well, I'm actually using the rack extension version of ABL3, not the VST version. Probably makes no difference at all regarding the clicks.

Anyway, I'm still looking for the MIDI mapping of ABL3. I couldn't find any documentation on this.

dezma

11 Mar 2019

joeyluck wrote:
03 Mar 2019
eusti wrote:
03 Mar 2019

D.
If you do want to work in Reason's sequencer, aside from the suggestion of checking spacing between notes, you could instead work in ABL3 first and then send notes to track using a Player device. No clicks when using the internal sequencer or after exporting from the internal sequencer...and then you can take advantage of the flexible random mode and step record functions. Just my two cents :)
How should that work? Tried to combine ABL3, add a player, disabled and then send notes to track but nothing gets exported

arqui

12 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
03 Mar 2019
joeyluck wrote:
03 Mar 2019

Yes, the clicks when using an external sequencer is a known issue that I believe will be addressed at some point in an update.
Well, that would be lovely. Just not how I understood the replies I got from the developer. :(

D.
the developer also replied that he is not going to fix it, because it is to be used with the internal sequencer, Now I say, so that it has CV and Gate input if they work badly?
I use Re version
regards
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Loque

12 Mar 2019

arqui wrote:
12 Mar 2019
eusti wrote:
03 Mar 2019

D.
the developer also replied that he is not going to fix it, because it is to be used with the internal sequencer, Now I say, so that it has CV and Gate input if they work badly?
I use Re version
regards
Sad...
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

12 Mar 2019

Looking forward to seeing ABL3 Vs Roland Cloud TB-303 threads.

eusti

12 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
12 Mar 2019
arqui wrote:
12 Mar 2019

I use Re version
regards
Sad...
I have to say I agree. I had mentioned that bug right at the start and was positive that it would be sorted out... I mean, if the device works with the Reason sequencer it should do so without clicks. My workflow is just not using internal sequencers much... Not saying that nobody should, but am pretty disappointed at the lack of interest of fixing this issue. And I know I can work around it. It just seems lazy and inconsiderate not to care enough to make the product function as it clearly should.

D.

Lost Dog

04 Sep 2021

eusti wrote:
12 Mar 2019
Loque wrote:
12 Mar 2019

Sad...
I have to say I agree. I had mentioned that bug right at the start and was positive that it would be sorted out... I mean, if the device works with the Reason sequencer it should do so without clicks. My workflow is just not using internal sequencers much... Not saying that nobody should, but am pretty disappointed at the lack of interest of fixing this issue. And I know I can work around it. It just seems lazy and inconsiderate not to care enough to make the product function as it clearly should.

D.
Would be great to hear any fresh news on this clicking, it's driving me insane as I keep forgetting about the click when I get time to have a bit of fun with ABL3, such a disappointment :(

Tiny Montgomery

04 Sep 2021

Midi export didnt work in the VST version in reason 11 last time I tried. You export the pattern as midi and Reason tells you it's a bad format or something. In Ableton I can send it it to desktop and drag it in no problems.

• Information