What is the quickest way to record samples into NN-XT?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
mashers

02 Mar 2019

I'm about to embark on a sampling mission. Specifically, I want to record several octaves of notes from a Volca Keys into an NN-XT. I realise I can record samples directly into the NN-XT, but then I have to set the key zone for each one. Is there a quicker way of doing this? Like a "record on input" type thing which will automatically trim the sample, and step to the next key zone after recording each one? Or do I just have to suck it up and do it manually? If the latter, I think it would actually be quicker to record all the notes in Audacity, slice it up and import them into the NN-XT, rather than trying to use sample start/end parameters to get the samples to trigger correctly.

Namyo85

02 Mar 2019

Yes, you'll have to do it manually. Best thing to do, record the samples in Audacity like you say, trim / tweak them as desired then drag them all into an NN-XT. I'm sure you'll already be aware but I'll say it anyway... you have access to different functions when right clicking on the NN-XT that can automatically put the samples in the right places, automapping etc... and if they don't get it right you can always set key zones / root notes manually.

mashers

02 Mar 2019

Thanks Namyo. Actually I didn't know any of that about automatically placing samples and automapping. This is the first time I've built an NN-XT patch so I'm learning as I go. Thanks again :)

RandomSkratch

02 Mar 2019

If you're serious about sampling your own stuff check out Sample Robot. It's designed for this type of stuff.

Or for free there was this program called Synth Catcher by ArcDev Noise Industries if you can track it down.

drloop

03 Mar 2019

I love the simplicity when it comes to sampling in Reason.
Sure there are more serious options regarding sampling but as a quick and creative tool NN-XT does the trick.
I use sampling very much as I did when I had hardware samplers.
Example how easy it is to sample, sorry it is in swedish but I think you get it.

Or if I would like to multisample a synth, I just record the keys in a track and transform it to a rex file getting rough start an end of each sampling. And then I import it to NN-XT and make sure NN-XT use root key. By doing this I get the samples layed out on the keyboard. Very nice and simple.

mashers

03 Mar 2019

RandomSkratch wrote:
02 Mar 2019
If you're serious about sampling your own stuff check out Sample Robot. It's designed for this type of stuff.

Or for free there was this program called Synth Catcher by ArcDev Noise Industries if you can track it down.
Oooh this looks good. Thanks, I'll check it out!
drloop wrote:
03 Mar 2019
I love the simplicity when it comes to sampling in Reason.
Sure there are more serious options regarding sampling but as a quick and creative tool NN-XT does the trick.
Actually now I've seen that Reason has its own wave editor built in and you can get to it quickly by pressing "Edit" while recording a sample into NN-XT, it's looking like it's easier than I thought to do it this way.
drloop wrote:
03 Mar 2019
Or if I would like to multisample a synth, I just record the keys in a track and transform it to a rex file getting rough start an end of each sampling. And then I import it to NN-XT and make sure NN-XT use root key. By doing this I get the samples layed out on the keyboard. Very nice and simple.
I did consider this, but I can't remember how to make Rex files any more. If I'd failed to do it with Audacity I would have downloaded Recycle from my props account and tried it out.

drloop

03 Mar 2019

You can make rex files in Reason, BOUNCE TO REX. No need for other software

mashers

03 Mar 2019

drloop wrote:
03 Mar 2019
You can make rex files in Reason, BOUNCE TO REX. No need for other software
Thanks, I had no idea! I’ll have a look at that in the morning.

• Information