[request granted] Reason Rack as a VST

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Funkspace

31 May 2018

Just throwing this out there....

What if Propellerhead were to take the rack ecosystem along with its devices and made that in and of itself a VST? -essentially selling a version of Reason (minus the reason DAW) for use on any DAW? The VST would itself be a the flippable Rack even supporting 3rd party Rack Extensions because it would be the guts of Reason in VST form...
mind blown?

jayhosking

31 May 2018

I'd be really into that. I'd be equally (or even more) into them improving the sequencer page and its related tools, because Reason is a mostly great all-in-one solution.

CephaloPod

31 May 2018

This is what I've always wanted Reason to be.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

Oquasec

31 May 2018

So like a fl studio vst but reason vst.
Nice. Now if they keep the wires then yes
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 May 2018

I would prefer this to Rewire.

Sylnox

31 May 2018

I agree, this would be really cool. Much better than Rewire for me since I don't have any interest in using Reason's sequencer and mixer, just its devices.

ltbrunt00

13 Jun 2018

I would pay hard cold cash for reason RE's, Refills and native reason devices to be used like Native Instruments Komplete in other DAWS.

In all fairness to the Props this should require you to own the full version of Reason and then charge an additional cost for this functionality.

Before people go they should provide this functionality for a small fee all of these features cost engineering work, development, testing & maintenance. Ultimately the DAW market is not like MS office where a good portion of the world are all using the same productivity sweet. in the DAW ecosystem all of these applications are fighting for users and money I would happily pay a fair price for killer tools and features. You buy what you can afford at the end of the day. I want the new Studio one 4 update but have to wait until I have the extra money to get it.

I like a good deal as much as anyone but to use Reason like Native instruments Komplete in other DAWs should cost a pretty penny like $99 to $200 dollars. Which is cheaper than Komplete Ultimate or Omnisphere with Trillian, Keyscapes & RMX. Pricing would be $399 for reason then another $99 for Reason as VST functionality.

Scratch all this and just update the Sequencer adding new workflow improvements then call it a day.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

dandandaaan

12 Jul 2018

Funny, I was just about to post a topic about this!

I have a very strong (perhaps optimistic) suspicion that we are going to see this at some point soon.

Looking at the Europa VST, a lot of work has very clearly gone into the port to make it feel "Reason"-y. The fact that you can switch to the back panel (though it of course doesn't currently do anything), load external samples, zoom/scale the interface (which you can't even do in Reason yet)... I'm not sure they would go to the effort of doing that just for one device, or even just a couple.

At the risk of adding to an argument that is already taking place in many other threads here: whether you like it or not (plenty of people do and more power to them!), the sequencer/workflow of Reason is very idiosyncratic and lacks a lot of features that are "standard" for modern DAWs. Where it really excels is the power and flexibility of the rack system.

Hot take/prediction - Grain VST sometime this year, some kind of Reason VST Rack alongside Reason 11 next year. Discuss!
singer/songwriter with electronic tendencies

http://pointsmusic.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/points_music

Logic / Ableton Live / Reason Rack / Nord Stage 2 / Moog Grandmother / Eurorack / Guitars, drums, toys

jimmyklane

12 Jul 2018

dandandaaan wrote:
12 Jul 2018

I have a very strong (perhaps optimistic) suspicion that we are going to see this at some point soon.

Looking at the Europa VST, a lot of work has very clearly gone into the port to make it feel "Reason"-y. The fact that you can switch to the back panel (though it of course doesn't currently do anything), load external samples, zoom/scale the interface (which you can't even do in Reason yet)... I'm not sure they would go to the effort of doing that just for one device, or even just a couple.

At the risk of adding to an argument that is already taking place in many other threads here: whether you like it or not (plenty of people do and more power to them!), the sequencer/workflow of Reason is very idiosyncratic and lacks a lot of features that are "standard" for modern DAWs. Where it really excels is the power and flexibility of the rack system.

Hot take/prediction - Grain VST sometime this year, some kind of Reason VST Rack alongside Reason 11 next year. Discuss!
It would be an odd business maneuver. We’ve got SOME plugins that also can act like a DAW already. Maschine, MPC desktop, etc....but if any VST plugin would just be BEGGING to be a full DAW, it would be Reason. I certainly don’t see Reason like Maschine, where it NEEDED to be a plugin because it was just too far away from being a DAW. Reason is actually very close to being a DAW with only workflow differences and not function limitations. I can see the flagship content becoming VSTs, but even that annoys me (which I’ve pontificated upon at length in the other thread!). While I can see PH doing as you sugesst, I don’t believe it to be the very best move. I think the best move is to make it a competitive DAW and go hard after users of Live and Logic.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

chimp_spanner

12 Jul 2018

dandandaaan wrote:
12 Jul 2018

Grain VST I can see! Rack as a VST...well this was something I used to fantasise about before Reason *got* VST. Now I'm not too bothered. I know there are things missing from the sequencer but honestly I can't even put a price on global undo and clip based automation (with easy to set default/static values) in terms of the time it's saved me, and conversely the time it's wasted in DAWs that don't have it. I'd much rather Reason's sequencer got the love it needs/deserves!

Crumbfort

20 Feb 2019

So, I know this has been brought up before, but I figured I'd start a thread here.

I think it would be beyond brilliant if the Reason Rack was made available in the VST format, along the lines of Softube Modular and the upcoming update to VCV rack. This would completely blow my mind. The ability to create awesome effects chains/instruments/etc and use them with multiple instances on multiple tracks with all the CV awesomeness of Reason.... Individual instances for better and clearer organization, savable presets, etc...

I'm rambling a bit here, I know! :puf_bigsmile: I would buy all the REs forever and ever if this came into existence.

Anyone else been daydreaming about something like this?
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Loque

20 Feb 2019

Since they now can make VSTs, there were a lot of speculation, if we will see a Combinator as a VST soon...
Reason12, Win10

Crumbfort

20 Feb 2019

Gah, that would be INCREDIBLE! I would shell out a lot of money for a combinator VST. Hoo man.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

devilfish

28 Feb 2019

Load Reason Rack Extensions in Cubase with a VST Combinator Plugin ? DOPE !!

Crumbfort

10 Apr 2019

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7511663

(Recently created thread discussing this same topic in the RE section)

Oquasec

11 Apr 2019

Since reason doesn't use vsts in rewire mode I would expect it to have a vst version too.
FL Studio is a vst. Why not Reason?
Producer/Programmer.

Heigen5

11 Apr 2019

How about the copy protection if Reason would become a VST? Anyway, in a business wise this could be a success.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Apr 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
11 Apr 2019
How about the copy protection if Reason would become a VST? Anyway, in a business wise this could be a success.
It would be amazing if they did come up with this!

As for copy protection, wouldn't it work with the authorizer and codemeter or something? Like many other vsts that won't run properly (audio gaps) if not authorised? (Demo mode)

Heigen5

11 Apr 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Apr 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
11 Apr 2019
It would be amazing if they did come up with this!

As for copy protection, wouldn't it work with the authorizer and codemeter or something? Like many other vsts that won't run properly (audio gaps) if not authorised? (Demo mode)
Yeah, does anyone using software has no internet? Even though I like that I have a dongle, it feels good to not have to rely on the net.

ScuzzyEye

11 Apr 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
11 Apr 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Apr 2019
Yeah, does anyone using software has no internet? Even though I like that I have a dongle, it feels good to not have to rely on the net.
Just like iLok, the Codemeter DRM supports both a dongle, and computer authentication. So it wouldn't be any different than VSTs requiring some sort of iLok activation.

Jmax

11 Apr 2019

Reason as a VST will never happen. That just encourages others to use a different DAW, terrible business move.

Oquasec

11 Apr 2019

But FL Studio's a vst...
Producer/Programmer.

PeterP

13 Apr 2019

Jmax wrote:
11 Apr 2019
Reason as a VST will never happen. That just encourages others to use a different DAW, terrible business move.
Or maybe it makes all Ableton, Cubase and Logic users buy a copy of Reason and it's an excellent business move?

Native Instruments have their own sort of DAW in Maschine, imagine if Komplete was only available for that instead of all DAWs. Do you think NI would make more money?

Also, ReWire exists. Propellerheads came up with it. They want you to be able to use Reason together with other DAWs. It's just very inconvenient to do it currently.

xylyx

13 Apr 2019

Jmax wrote:
11 Apr 2019
I would happily pay for a Combinator VST that allowed you to use all the Reason devices in another DAW. I would also be more likely to buy a few of the other Rack Extensions knowing I could use them in any DAW.

Heigen5

13 Apr 2019

It would be as easy as making a VST version of Reason available for all those who also own A Reason. ilok thing would also be covered then.

• Information