Akai MPC Touch dropped to $399 USD!!!! (was $800)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

26 Feb 2019

So, this just happened. Apparently you can score the Akai MPC Touch new for just $399 USD. Anyone got one of these? It's almost 4 years old at this point, so i'm wondering if they're clearing out inventory and cancelling the series...

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i ... QZiWTBq-3o

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

26 Feb 2019

*UPDATE*

Just spoke to my Sweetwater rep - apparently Akai is indeed discontinuing this line, so they're being cleared out. That $399 USD price is probably the lowest you'll see them, and when AMS sells out they won't get any more. Even Sweetwater can't match that price (the lowest they could go was $450 USD + tax).

I dunno - not sure if I'm sold yet (even for $399). Maybe if I sell my M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro, I might consider it though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

cognitive

26 Feb 2019

$399 is a great price, especially when you consider it comes with the $200 MPC software AND whatever additional expansions and other goodies they throw your way.

I have an MPC Live, which is almost the same experience in a lot of ways, and there's a LOT going on here.

Oh, and you can run the MPC software as a VST inside of Reason. I tried it and it works like a charm.

EnochLight

26 Feb 2019

cognitive wrote:
26 Feb 2019
$399 is a great price, especially when you consider it comes with the $200 MPC software AND whatever additional expansions and other goodies they throw your way.

I have an MPC Live, which is almost the same experience in a lot of ways, and there's a LOT going on here.

Oh, and you can run the MPC software as a VST inside of Reason. I tried it and it works like a charm.
So I’m understanding it right, in that the MPC Touch is essentially a dumb MIDI controller that really just controls the MPC Software on your computer - correct? I mean, it also has a built-in touch screen, audio interface, and pads, but all audio is essentially generated by the MPC Software and runs as a VST?

I’m pretty tempted by this. I’d probably go with Sweetwater though for $450 since it comes with a 2 year warranty.

cognitive

28 Feb 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Feb 2019
cognitive wrote:
26 Feb 2019

So I’m understanding it right, in that the MPC Touch is essentially a dumb MIDI controller that really just controls the MPC Software on your computer - correct? I mean, it also has a built-in touch screen, audio interface, and pads, but all audio is essentially generated by the MPC Software and runs as a VST?

I’m pretty tempted by this. I’d probably go with Sweetwater though for $450 since it comes with a 2 year warranty.
I think I saw that American Musical Supply offers a free additional year's warranty on top of whatever the manufacturer's warranty covers. That said, I don't think I have ever purchased from them, so I don't know how they are as a vendor. I have purchased from Sweetwater on several occasions with no issues other than their practice of sales people "checking in" periodically, once you're on their list. Kind of annoying.

And yeah, the MPC Touch is a kind of dumb(ish) controller, but very well suited to the MPC workflow with their 2.4 software. In practice, once you're up to speed with the hardware interface, you can do most all of your work without touching your computer because the experience is pretty much identical to the MPC Live in standalone. At least this is my understanding, as I own the Live but have never used the Touch.

EnochLight

28 Feb 2019

cognitive wrote:
28 Feb 2019
I think I saw that American Musical Supply offers a free additional year's warranty on top of whatever the manufacturer's warranty covers. That said, I don't think I have ever purchased from them, so I don't know how they are as a vendor. I have purchased from Sweetwater on several occasions with no issues other than their practice of sales people "checking in" periodically, once you're on their list. Kind of annoying.

And yeah, the MPC Touch is a kind of dumb(ish) controller, but very well suited to the MPC workflow with their 2.4 software. In practice, once you're up to speed with the hardware interface, you can do most all of your work without touching your computer because the experience is pretty much identical to the MPC Live in standalone. At least this is my understanding, as I own the Live but have never used the Touch.
I just ordered one today from Sweetwater (it's where I usually do all of my hardware shopping, so a $50 upcharge is worth it to me). Should be here tomorrow. I've spent a fair amount of time watching MPC Touch videos these past days and think I'll give it a try. The cool thing about Sweetwater is if I don't like it, I can send it back for a full refund within 30 days and even pay zero for shipping. Not sure about AMS, and I'm not willing to try them for this particular experiment.

I should know within 2-3 weeks whether or not I'll be keeping it. In my almost 3 decades of making music, I've never owned nor worked with an Akai MPC, nor anything like it. I've always had traditional keyboard samplers and workstations prior to going DAW. But I've always had an affinity for the genre of music that can be created with it, so I suppose I should give it a proper try. :lol:

EnochLight

14 Mar 2019

Just a heads up - Sweetwater is sold out of the MPC Touch and it’s discontinued so they’ll get no more. Looks like American Music Supply still has some for $399 - a great deal for this thing.

• Information