UMPF Club Drums RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mojo

29 Jun 2018

bik44 wrote:
29 Jun 2018
EnochLight wrote:
29 Jun 2018

That's so weird... UMPF looks much, much better than Geist 2, IMHO. I had to squint just to see Geist's GUI/UX. I never thought I'd see the day where Rack Extensions look noticeably better than VST! :lol:
Oh, you're right. Additionally, this interface works badly. It seems to me that it is written in java. Do not waste time and do not install it. I dumped after two hours :)
It's just your opinion. For me geist is the best software I have, it's powerfull, easy to use ans so inspiring. It has nicely replaced redrum, kong and even dr octorex in my rack and I really don't care about umpf and the drum sequencer thanks to it.
Unfortunately it doesn' t work well in reason because it's multi timbral and you can only sequence the first engine's patterns in reason sequencer.

EnochLight

29 Jun 2018

mojo wrote:
29 Jun 2018
bik44 wrote:
29 Jun 2018
Oh, you're right. Additionally, this interface works badly. It seems to me that it is written in java. Do not waste time and do not install it. I dumped after two hours :)
It's just your opinion.
I can't vouch for bik44, but that's why my statement ended with IMHO. :)
EnochLight wrote:
29 Jun 2018
That's so weird... UMPF looks much, much better than Geist 2, IMHO. I had to squint just to see Geist's GUI/UX. I never thought I'd see the day where Rack Extensions look noticeably better than VST! :lol:
mojo wrote:
29 Jun 2018
For me geist is the best software I have, it's powerfull, easy to use ans so inspiring. It has nicely replaced redrum, kong and even dr octorex in my rack and I really don't care about umpf and the drum sequencer thanks to it.
Unfortunately it doesn' t work well in reason because it's multi timbral and you can only sequence the first engine's patterns in reason sequencer.
I just can't get around that horrible GUI/UX. In Reason's rack, I find UMPF, Kong, and even Redrum far easier to work with. But that's the great thing about Reason finally supporting VST - we have all these choices! Choice is good. We can now find things that work for each of us. :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mind2069

29 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Jun 2018
mojo wrote:
29 Jun 2018

It's just your opinion.
I can't vouch for bik44, but that's why my statement ended with IMHO. :)
EnochLight wrote:
29 Jun 2018
mojo wrote:
29 Jun 2018
For me geist is the best software I have, it's powerfull, easy to use ans so inspiring. It has nicely replaced redrum, kong and even dr octorex in my rack and I really don't care about umpf and the drum sequencer thanks to it.
I just can't get around that horrible GUI/UX. In Reason's rack, I find UMPF, Kong, and even Redrum far easier to work with. But that's the great thing about Reason finally supporting VST - we have all these choices! Choice is good. We can now find things that work for each of us. :thumbs_up:
To me UMPF is total success in terms of GUI/UX, I love it, just wish for once PH could have gone all the way and release a "complete" product like having break ins or more options in the effect section "reverb delay eq compression" ect and not as global effect, Processing a snare or kick or hihat is very different, at least break ins would fix this partially

Anyway superb GUI

Hydrosonic

30 Jun 2018

Its an ok device, not fully implemented as usual with PH, always leave something or a few things out. If the Sample Start thing was automatable II may have been VERY interested.

Price $99 nah, you gotta make a complete device to get that much out of me. It's so close to the price of upgrading Studio one pro v3 to v4, I know where my money will be going. Impact XT + Drum pattern sequencer, has got me covered for a drum Sampler.

And just something slightly ooff topic, I bet they will soon make a TB303 style Sequencer Player, and then a Bass synth. At least thats looking like a path they might take.

miscend

01 Jul 2018

Are there any NI Battery users who find this device to be useful?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2018

Is Umpf essentially just Kong with a different set of samples and a couple of extra effects? Or is there a lot more to it? Just wondering. (I do know that you get a bunch of extra drum sequencer patches which, by the way, I think should have been included with the standalone sequencer. But that’s just me. ).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

two shoes

16 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
16 Aug 2018
Is Umpf essentially just Kong with a different set of samples and a couple of extra effects? Or is there a lot more to it? Just wondering. (I do know that you get a bunch of extra drum sequencer patches which, by the way, I think should have been included with the standalone sequencer. But that’s just me. ).
It's not Kong with a different set of samples because it's a different type of device - it's just another option for drums to go along with Redrum and Kong. It's not a drum synth like Kong or have a built in step sequencer like Redrum, but it does have some other options that neither of the older devices do. I suspect one goal for it's design was to complement the new drum sequencer player (which is great btw). They present it in the marketing materials as being designed for club/edm/big room type stuff, but you can load any samples you want into it and I've found some of the included kits to be great for the downtempo/ambient/generative stuff I'm more interested in. Personally I think it's a great little drum sample player with a good ui and some well implemented features. Yes, the non-sale price tag is stupid (like all of Pheads recent devices) but I'm sure it will eventually go on sale for 45-50% off like everything else in the shop. I used my rewards credits to get it for $50 a few weeks ago and it's only grown on me since then.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2018

two shoes wrote:
16 Aug 2018
MrFigg wrote:
16 Aug 2018
It's not Kong with a different set of samples because it's a different type of device - it's just another option for drums to go along with Redrum and Kong. It's not a drum synth like Kong or have a built in step sequencer like Redrum, but it does have some other options that neither of the older devices do. I suspect one goal for it's design was to complement the new drum sequencer player (which is great btw). They present it in the marketing materials as being designed for club/edm/big room type stuff, but you can load any samples you want into it and I've found some of the included kits to be great for the downtempo/ambient/generative stuff I'm more interested in. Personally I think it's a great little drum sample player with a good ui and some well implemented features. Yes, the non-sale price tag is stupid (like all of Pheads recent devices) but I'm sure it will eventually go on sale for 45-50% off like everything else in the shop. I used my rewards credits to get it for $50 a few weeks ago and it's only grown on me since then.
That’s great. Excellent description. Thankyou. Very much appreciated. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

KirkMarkarian

17 Aug 2018

So, I just purchased the UMPF RE.

This is another surprise that I didn't think would do what I had hoped it would do, but it actually does it quite well!

I was looking for an RE that would give me the ability to loop my random bits of audio, give them glitch (chop) effects, and allow for me to get all Max/MSP with 'em. This RE basically provides me with the audio playback device that I needed to do such a thing, and it's all up front.

I've pointed out the 2020 Beat Machine and Cconfin in a few other posts, and this allows me to get there. Couple this with the Kompulsion drum sequencer, and some of the other granular devices, and now it seems like I have a very adjustable, yet controllable, version of these Max/MSP apps.

And holy crap, that compressor - I took a bass drum drum sample that I made in Orangator back in 1999 (old Windows synth), and it's like getting punched in the gut. I can put in my chord loops and UMPF does some beautiful things to them, gating and chopping. The reverb and delay are beautiful, and I can just level them out very easily. Volume and timbral adjustment to the maxxx!

Wish I thought of how to use this sooner, because it really makes sense. Very handy, can't wait to see what happens when I start adjusting the rest of the glitch stuff outside of the UMPF, on separate channels. Nice RE, just had to look at it with a different set of glasses.

tiker01

17 Aug 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote:
17 Aug 2018
So, I just purchased the UMPF RE.

This is another surprise that I didn't think would do what I had hoped it would do, but it actually does it quite well!

I was looking for an RE that would give me the ability to loop my random bits of audio, give them glitch (chop) effects, and allow for me to get all Max/MSP with 'em. This RE basically provides me with the audio playback device that I needed to do such a thing, and it's all up front.

I've pointed out the 2020 Beat Machine and Cconfin in a few other posts, and this allows me to get there. Couple this with the Kompulsion drum sequencer, and some of the other granular devices, and now it seems like I have a very adjustable, yet controllable, version of these Max/MSP apps.

And holy crap, that compressor - I took a bass drum drum sample that I made in Orangator back in 1999 (old Windows synth), and it's like getting punched in the gut. I can put in my chord loops and UMPF does some beautiful things to them, gating and chopping. The reverb and delay are beautiful, and I can just level them out very easily. Volume and timbral adjustment to the maxxx!

Wish I thought of how to use this sooner, because it really makes sense. Very handy, can't wait to see what happens when I start adjusting the rest of the glitch stuff outside of the UMPF, on separate channels. Nice RE, just had to look at it with a different set of glasses.
Do not forget to get the free Drum Sequencer if you do not own it just yet!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

KirkMarkarian

17 Aug 2018

Only a few requests that I can see as making this just over the top because this is WAY more than just a drum sample playback RE:

1) The ability to use the CV inputs or built-in LFOs to trigger sample start times, it's just not an option currently

2) Have the Chop, Delay, Reverb, and Compressor be available on the separate channel outputs. The workaround is just to have the main outputs on their own separate channel and mix to taste

3) Include elements of the Grain RE in the sample engine, mainly the "Long Grains" portion, for some time-stretching and blurring. The reason would be to utilize this RE as a rhythmic drone-maker if that was put in place
Last edited by KirkMarkarian on 17 Aug 2018, edited 1 time in total.

KirkMarkarian

17 Aug 2018

tiker01 wrote:
17 Aug 2018
Do not forget to get the free Drum Sequencer if you do not own it just yet!
Have both the drum sequencer since it was introduced for free, and also Kompulsion, Propulsion, and Korde.

ab459

24 Jan 2019

KirkMarkarian wrote:
17 Aug 2018
1) The ability to use the CV inputs or built-in LFOs to trigger sample start times, it's just not an option currently
+1
Frankly was disappointed a bit due to lack of this ability.
That seems strange, since all other sample parameters are ready for mod inside matrix. But why not start of sample ? The most interesting destination.

ab459

24 Jan 2019

Did check trial, hm, moreover, sample start even not visible thru combinator. Pass.

priior

27 Jan 2019

KirkMarkarian wrote:
17 Aug 2018
Only a few requests that I can see as making this just over the top because this is WAY more than just a drum sample playback RE:

2) Have the Chop, Delay, Reverb, and Compressor be available on the separate channel outputs. The workaround is just to have the main outputs on their own separate channel and mix to taste

3) Include elements of the Grain RE in the sample engine, mainly the "Long Grains" portion, for some time-stretching and blurring. The reason would be to utilize this RE as a rhythmic drone-maker if that was put in place
4) Have a parallel out for each channel so we can feed it into a sidechain. (unless someone figured out an easy way to send out the kick signal without messing the internal routing?)

Resonator

27 Jan 2019

When the hell are they gonna fix the remote mapping?

Fraxis

25 Feb 2019

Does anyone know if it's easy to edit an Umpf kit patch with some kind of file editor please? I want to make a load of custom kits out of my favourite channels in multiple kits, but really don't want to only swap out the sample each time or have to replicate around 20 parameters by manually adjusting them in the destination Umpf whilst referring to another Umpf with the sound in to see what each parameter is set to.

Why the Props don't allow individual drums to be loaded like the do in Kong is a mystery to me! Really dumb UX. What I'd like to do is open up a kit patch in an editor, lift a chunk of code from it and paste it into another kit patch document, ideal adjusting the channel parameter along the way. So if I took the data for a tom in channel 6 in one Umpf I could paste it over the channel 2 in another kit and correct any code that was identifying it as coming from channel 2. A bit like you would alter the instrument file for a Nektar Panorama to add new REs. Or is the code pretty much unfathomable when you look at it?

jam-s

25 Feb 2019

I have not checked it, but I suppose the patches are saved as .repatch files (same as all REs do). Those are just XML files that can be edited with a text editor.

EnochLight

25 Feb 2019

Fraxis wrote:
25 Feb 2019
Does anyone know if it's easy to edit an Umpf kit patch with some kind of file editor please?
Sure - if you use Reason's own built-in sample editor (click the "Edit Sample" button in the corresponding sample). Otherwise you have to sample the sample (or export each one) and edit it in any external editor you want, and then re-import the sample.

*EDIT: oh wait, my bad. You're talking about actually editing the *.repatch file.
Fraxis wrote:
25 Feb 2019
Why the Props don't allow individual drums to be loaded like the do in Kong is a mystery to me! Really dumb UX.
HUH? You can easily drag and drop any individual sample you want to any of UMPF's individual sample slots...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Fraxis

25 Feb 2019

jam-s wrote:
25 Feb 2019
I have not checked it, but I suppose the patches are saved as .repatch files (same as all REs do). Those are just XML files that can be edited with a text editor.
Great, thanks!

Fraxis

25 Feb 2019

Fraxis wrote:
25 Feb 2019
Why the Props don't allow individual drums to be loaded like the do in Kong is a mystery to me! Really dumb UX.
HUH? You can easily drag and drop any individual sample you want to any of UMPF's individual sample slots...
[/quote]

I’m not talking about just loading samples - I’m also talking about all the associated envelope, root note, sample start, Eq and insert effect (x 3) data too. About 20 parameters to change per channel to get an exact sound match.

EnochLight

25 Feb 2019

Fraxis wrote:
25 Feb 2019
Fraxis wrote:
25 Feb 2019

I’m not talking about just loading samples - I’m also talking about all the associated envelope, root note, sample start, Eq and insert effect (x 3) data too. About 20 parameters to change per channel to get an exact sound match.
Your quote is broken. That said, yeah - the NN-Nano module inside Kong is a lot more powerful and versatile, as is Nurse Rex. Kong is definitely superior for deep down dirty editing and patch building. The UMPF series is more akin to quick & simple, IMHO. They both have their uses.

Chizmata

22 Jan 2020

does anybody actually have the slightest clue how exactly the chopping effect works internally? i read the manual and dabbled around but i cant find any consistency in its behaviour, it feels more like the fx are controlled by a hidden random function than my adjustments.

edit: when i adjust send to 100% and turn off both clean and comp, then set all probabilities to zero, it correctly plays the exact notes from the sequencer. it also behaves correctly for the pitch effect. but when i turn on reverse, it simply does not play some notes. say i have 8 steps and sound on 4 and 7. Setting the reverse effect to 100% will always leave the 4 silent and play the 7 in reverse (the 16th all setting is active). and the repeat effect… i dont even understand whats that supposed to do. it surely doesnt repeat sound flam style and also not on the next 16th. in the above example, setting it to 100% results in no sound at all.

i'm confused, can anyone help? thx!
Last edited by Chizmata on 22 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

VIVIsect

22 Jan 2020

Chizmata wrote:
22 Jan 2020
does anybody actually have the slightest clue how exactly the chopping effect works internally? i read the manual and dabbled around but i cant find any consistency in its behaviour, it feels more like the fx are controlled by a hidden random function than my adjustments.

edit: when i adjust send to 100% and turn off both clean and comp, then set all probabilities to zero, it correctly plays the exact notes from the sequencer. it also behaves correctly for the pitch effect. but when i turn on reverse, it simply does not play some notes. say i have 8 steps and sound on 4 and 7. Setting the reverse effect to 100% will always leave the 4 silent and play the 8 in reverse (the 16th all setting is active). and the repeat effect… i dont even understand whats that supposed to do. it surely doesnt repeat sound flam style and also not on the next 16th. in the above example, setting it to 100% results in no sound at all.

i'm confused, can anyone help? thx!
Honestly I think the chop function is bugged. If I load a factory patch that has the chop function enabled, it seems to behave as expected, but if I change any values (especially the "repeat" function) then it barely triggers at all most of the time. I can crank the chop and repeat vales all the way up and sometimes it never triggers at all. Was wondering if anybody else was experiencing the same.

client6

15 Sep 2020

priior wrote:
27 Jan 2019
KirkMarkarian wrote:
17 Aug 2018
4) Have a parallel out for each channel so we can feed it into a sidechain. (unless someone figured out an easy way to send out the kick signal without messing the internal routing?)
Has anyone figured out a workaround to sidechain with the kick's gate out or another method without breaking the routing?

Thanks!

• Information