S1 and Reason Rewire issues...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
xylyx

22 Feb 2019

I was just trying to use some Reason instruments via rewire with the latest version of Studio One, opened a current Reason project to test how well they would work together. The project in Reason alone only hits 2 bars on the DSP meter but when played via rewire I am getting constant spikes and break ups - the plugin CPU display in S1 shows Reason is the cause and using 80+% of the DSP. Am I missing something, like a setting, that is causing this problem?

QVprod

22 Feb 2019

Rewire supposedly runs on only one core whereas Reason itself stand-alone will use multiple cores. Though I’d also make sure that low latency virtual instrument monitoring isn’t enabled in Studio One. That option when checked immediately brings my CPU meter to about 80% and my computer is brand new.

xylyx

22 Feb 2019

Thanks for the reply.

The song I'm testing has 3 Nostromo's and a couple of Players on each instance - I'm running an 17-8700 with 16gb, so it should be able to handle this.

I have tried all the audio settings options, including dropout protection and the low latency option in S1, as well as the multi CPU options in Reason and it still keeps hitting 100% with Reason rewired. I don't know if the forthcoming update is likely to improve this situation but it is currently unusable rewired :(

S1GNL

22 Feb 2019

xylyx wrote:
22 Feb 2019
Thanks for the reply.

The song I'm testing has 3 Nostromo's and a couple of Players on each instance - I'm running an 17-8700 with 16gb, so it should be able to handle this.

I have tried all the audio settings options, including dropout protection and the low latency option in S1, as well as the multi CPU options in Reason and it still keeps hitting 100% with Reason rewired. I don't know if the forthcoming update is likely to improve this situation but it is currently unusable rewired :(
Usually you have different audio drivers you can choose from. Surprisingly, the ASIO one isn’t always the best choice regarding CPU load. Did you try that?

xylyx

22 Feb 2019

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just tried the different audio drivers and none of them improve the situation, unfortunately.

xylyx

23 Feb 2019

Further testing confirms that rewire is leaving Reason running on one core, hence the CPU problems. That means that the performance update is unlikely to make any difference and it is rewire that needs changing. It also means trying to run Reason via rewire with any number of REs is an exercise in futility :(

QVprod

23 Feb 2019

Thats what I thought was happening, but I hadn't tested or seen a Propellerhead answer regarding it I couldn't confirm.

jam-s

23 Feb 2019

xylyx wrote:
23 Feb 2019
Further testing confirms that rewire is leaving Reason running on one core, hence the CPU problems. That means that the performance update is unlikely to make any difference and it is rewire that needs changing. It also means trying to run Reason via rewire with any number of REs is an exercise in futility :(
You could try to set other configuration-options for the multi-core usage in Rewire mode: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdwy2at4fgmbc ... e.pdf?dl=0

Or less cumbersome than editing the config you can try to set the Rewire core count by pressing the following, unsupported and esoteric keyboard shortcuts in Reason:

To increase: Ctrl + Shift + Alt + <numpad-plus>
To decrease: Ctrl + Shift + Alt + <numpad-minus>

xylyx

24 Feb 2019

Thanks for that, it has really helped. I used the keyboard shortcuts and it brought CPU usage down to 40% with 6 channels going into S1. I just need to figure out how to transfer this into the config file, so I am not having to do the shortcut every time I open the project. Will look at it more next weekend.

Thanks again.

• Information