White Album remix

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Marco Raaphorst

09 Nov 2018

this sounds good:

not polished like that mastering-limiter-shit-with-way-too-much-low-end you hear too much lately.
this has dynamics. sometimes loud and aggressive guitars. this is edgy.
those songs are superb.
Beatles are closer to classical music than the blues.
Beatles don't stay in one key, they modulate.
and innovate.

best band ever. period. the norm.

I love. edgy British.

Veech

09 Nov 2018

I just got my super duper set today, going to break it out tonight and enjoy. I've heard great things about the remix which is encouraging, I didn't care for the Pepper remix.

Catblack

09 Nov 2018

I didn't care for the pepper mix either. All the mixdown of the original tapes added a warmth that the remaster shone too bright a light on.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

motuscott

09 Nov 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Nov 2018
best band ever. period. the norm.
Have heard some raw tracks in my interweb wanderings and yes I agree, they and G Martin defined the era.
Yes kids I'm old
Old as fuck.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

09 Nov 2018

Let us not forget Geoff Emerick
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Marco Raaphorst

10 Nov 2018

And Ken Scott

EnochLight

10 Nov 2018

Who are these "Beatles" people? What plugins did they use? Never heard of them.

TrollFace.jpg
TrollFace.jpg (31.92 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Dabbler

10 Nov 2018

oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

Ahornberg

10 Nov 2018

about 35 years ago I listened to this album over and over again :clap:

Veech

10 Nov 2018

Listened to the whole WA remix last night, some songs twice, and a few Esher tracks.

Imo this is the definitive version. The remix is mostly faithful to the original stereo mix however the clarity and definition in the individual tracks is revelatory. I disagree with a few of the mix decisions - where's the tambourine towards the end of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"? - but I can fix those when I do my personal preference remix using extracted L/C/R isos and individual tracks ripped from the surround mix. The one I can't fix is "Wild Honey pie" which has so much warble on it that it makes me queasy.

But overall they did a fine job of cleaning up the mud in a lot of the WA tracks. It's a keeper.

Catblack

10 Nov 2018

Veech wrote:
10 Nov 2018
Listened to the whole WA remix last night, some songs twice, and a few Esher tracks.

Imo this is the definitive version. The remix is mostly faithful to the original stereo mix however the clarity and definition in the individual tracks is revelatory. I disagree with a few of the mix decisions - where's the tambourine towards the end of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"? - but I can fix those when I do my personal preference remix using extracted L/C/R isos and individual tracks ripped from the surround mix. The one I can't fix is "Wild Honey pie" which has so much warble on it that it makes me queasy.

But overall they did a fine job of cleaning up the mud in a lot of the WA tracks. It's a keeper.
I was just listening to the 2018 "wild honey pie" when I read your comment. Yeah, I hear that weird warble too.

There's one of the tracks off the remastered Pepper... day in the life maybe? where there's like a repeating drum hit that's way more buried in the original and it's downright annoying in the remaster.

Ok, I'm a few more tracks in, and my working theory about this White album and Pepper remaster is that they adjusted the transients a little bit to be sharper than they would have been when they recorded them. I mean they sound great, cleaner, but the attacks on everything come in too quick. I should probably read through 10,000 messages on the steve hoffman forums to see what the consensus is there. But it kind of makes me want to hear this remaster on like a cheap stereo from sears with those crapper paper cones.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Ostermilk

10 Nov 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Nov 2018

I love. edgy British.
...grrrrr, then. :mrgreen:

rimasjb

19 Feb 2019

generally a good re-master but in particular thought the remix on "Everybody's Got Something to Hide..." was odd - one of the more striking (and successful) features of that song as it appeared originally on vinyl were the sharp chord stabs - like horn stabs - while they're singing c'mon c'mon...c'mon c'mon. Those striking guitar chord "horn stabs" are now almost disappeared from the mix when before they were mixed front and center. To me, it's a loss. Did anyone else notice this or is it just my ears gone whacky?

That being said, this remix is a reminder of just how good the band was both at driving the beat and at creating harmonically sophisticated arrangements seemingly effortlessly. They were tremendous talents and here one can sense they know it and feel it and let it all show, seemingly without effort. On this album, in particular, McCartney has reason to be proud of what might be called hall of fame bass performances - propulsive, melodic, outlining the complex harmonic material with impeccable note choices. One cannot imagine any bassist in any genre killing it the way he did here. It's fashionable from time to time to deprecate what the Beatles accomplished: in the long run, they will not lack for recognition - all people have to do is listen...

challism

10 Mar 2019

I haven't listed to this yet. Thanks for posting, will listen as soon as I have a chance. I absolutely love the Beatles. Although they were before my time (broke up before I was born), they are my favorite band. Followed by Pink Floyd and U2.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (325.21 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

challism

12 Mar 2019

Just had a listen. I think most of the tracks sound great. Notably: Blackbird, Piggies, Guitar Weeps, Bungalow Bill, Rocky Racoon, Mother Nature's Son, Revolution 1, Honey Pie.

A few issues I heard:

"Glass Onion"'s vocals are buried deep in the back of the mix. Sounds terrible. I prefer the original on that one, for sure.
Some weird warbling modulation on Lennon's voice in "Happiness"
"Dont Pass Me By"'s vocals are buried too. Not as bad as Onion, but it doesn't sound as good as the original.
"I Will" I don't remember the horse shoe/coconut shell claps, but it's too loud and sounds bad to me. Very distracting.
"Yer Blues" vocals sound muffled/buried, too.
"Helter SKelter" sounds worse, too. Backup vocals are louder than lead vocals.

I think overall the instruments sound a lot better, but a lot of the vocals are buried in the mix now. Maybe it's my speakers or something.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information