TRS timing clock? Reaktor system midi structure

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Re8et
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2019

The purpose of this thread is try to understand how timing clock works inside a DAW, for to get a way to output the midi timing
clock indipendently from the system.

I went into reaktor clock module to see where the timing clock came from, and it seems to get it from the system info.

The same system info Dclk output is present inside other modules that then output the midi signals.
I do not know if I can in some way swap that system module and replace it with something else, like an external cv signal, that could be then more
likely be unlinked from system info, even if it is a oscillator running in free mode, that might still get other functions from the same system info (audio rate, etc)

I'll be getting more on this when I'd get back with more trials and errors, if anyone has some idea how to get there, or not, that would be interesting.

Also if you have a retrokit minimidi, or a kork sq-1 with midi to TRS stereo analog jack, or any kind of midi to TRS jack converter, you can analyze the midi signal in its audio shape, through an oscilloscope.
I analyzed the sq-1 and a Reason clock signal translated into audio and the looped back into midi again, and clock informations were all there... this may sounds out of thread, but imagine receiving a complete midi signal in audio form, and the sending a complete one in audio... this might be one way to get to the goal, or might be overcomplicating things, I do not know yet. :puf_bigsmile:
Reaktor util clock.JPG
Reaktor util clock.JPG (65.22 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Reaktor midi out structure.JPG
Reaktor midi out structure.JPG (45.4 KiB) Viewed 861 times

rcbuse
RE Developer

05 Feb 2019

Typically inside audio systems you have a play position. This can be a sample number or song position in ticks (192 ticks per quarter note) kind of thing. Other information is typically available to perform the math you need, like, sample rate, time signature, loop marker info....

From your request I'm not really sure what you are trying to do though... Why don't you want to sue the provided clock in Reaktor ?

emilng

07 Feb 2019

sounds like you're looking to do what http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/usamo.html does?
mostly modular experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/maztik8r

Re8et
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2019

rcbuse wrote:
05 Feb 2019
Typically inside audio systems you have a play position. This can be a sample number or song position in ticks (192 ticks per quarter note) kind of thing. Other information is typically available to perform the math you need, like, sample rate, time signature, loop marker info....

From your request I'm not really sure what you are trying to do though... Why don't you want to sue the provided clock in Reaktor ?
because I want to generate a timing clock from any kind of trigger, like an LFO to drive external gears, to be able to use all my 8 audio output from my Ultralite, as stereo TRS midi DIN5 so I could get as many clocks out as my interface support, drive external gears indipendently from one another.

I find Expert sleepr Sync is somewhat working, in conjuction with Follower or voice, somewhat, as the timing clock is lost in a mess of other messages.
expert sleeper sync.JPG
expert sleeper sync.JPG (469.95 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Re8et
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2019

emilng wrote:
07 Feb 2019
sounds like you're looking to do what http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/usamo.html does?
This would be cool, but I already got Silent Way and it's not working for me, I got a DC coupled interface, still I'm not sure it was intended to work indipendently from the system clock; it's a very interesting device that anyway Its software still needs a midi input from the daw to work, and then another problem surface when disabling the virtual midi from the daw, which can not be done inside reason.
Attachments
usamo.JPG
usamo.JPG (108.44 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Last edited by Re8et on 12 Feb 2019, edited 2 times in total.

rcbuse
RE Developer

12 Feb 2019

I'm not sure this is possible . A 'clock' in a modular system or reason CV is just a pulse/trigger, off-on-off or 010 repeated at a certain frequency.
MIDI Clock is repeated digital message with the value 0xF8, which on the wire would be 11111000 @ 31250 baud
There are numerous technical challenges to what you are trying to do.

Re8et
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2019

It seems I have finally got a usable timing clock signal from the Dc output of my UL, but the whole setup method
is nothing short of "almost complete randomness".
expert timing ok.JPG
expert timing ok.JPG (488.28 KiB) Viewed 799 times

rcbuse
RE Developer

12 Feb 2019

Thats about what I would expect with putting random pulses onto a midi bus.

rcbuse
RE Developer

12 Feb 2019

You should probably look into something like Innerclock Systems Sync-Gen II Pro if you want to use audio/CV to drive a bunch of midi clocks.

Re8et
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2019

rcbuse wrote:
12 Feb 2019
Thats about what I would expect with putting random pulses onto a midi bus.
That's awesome! I'd never thinked of that!!! :puf_bigsmile: :puf_bigsmile: :puf_bigsmile:
Random midi bus.JPG
Random midi bus.JPG (421.92 KiB) Viewed 785 times

Anyway, the SW sync does not work without midi transport, enabling it, it get out a quite clean audio-midi signal - quite - but very fun tighted with multiple clocks on the PSQ!

• Information