Reason 10.2 and external hardware issue

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fotizimo

15 Oct 2018

I am trying to get to the bottom of an issue I have not been able to resolve for some time, and I thought I would see if the minds around here might be able to hep.

I have Reason 10.2 running on a Win10 (1809) Surface Pro 4, an Arturia Keystep USB MIDI controller, Roland System-1m, IK Multimedia Uno synth. All of these are connected by USB and not any physical MIDI cables. I am also running the Roland Cloud System-1 VST, as well as the IK Multimedia Uno VST. Both of these VSTs are supposed to utilize the corresponding hardware as control surfaces.

When I load a blank song in Reason and add either VST, I seem to be able to send MIDI messages from the Keystep, through Reason, and to the hardware, which I have a corresponding audio track to receive audio.

The Uno synth has a standalone editor which doesn't need a host to use, and which works for sending and receiving MIDI to/from the Uno synth. I can open the Roland System-1 VST in savihost, and can setup in the MIDI input from both the Keystep, and the CTRL segment of the System-1 as inputs, and the System-1 CTRL as MIDI output, and the VST works at receiving control messages from the hardware back into the VST.

Neither VST seems to allow me to use the hardware devices as control surfaces while in reason. When I add the VSTs for either device, I can send MIDI messages from Keystep and Reason to the hardware devices, but cannot receive MIDI control messages back into the VSTs. In the Roland System-1 VST for the MIDI in section, it always shows the various System-1 devices (System-1, System-1 Ctrl) as disabled and doesn't seem to receive. The Uno editor VST always shows "waiting for Uno" message, and doesn't show any changes made on the hardware. System-1 hardware is setup as a control surface in the Reason settings, and shows a green check mark, but there are no options for Uno as a control surface.

So I am not a Reason MIDI expert, but had this previously working some time ago (haven't played with Reason and my hardware in some time, so can only say it was last seen working around the time v10 came out. I am wondering if anyone else has had these kinds of configuration problems and has suggestions to resolve?
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Luki80

11 Feb 2019

Hi fotizimo,

You'd well described what I'm struggling with.

I have Uno synth, and while Reason 10.2 is using Uno Synth Midi cconnection I can't use VST editor for it.
It shows me the same "waiting for Uno" message.

I use Windows 7.

fotizimo

11 Feb 2019

Luki80 wrote:
11 Feb 2019
Hi fotizimo,

You'd well described what I'm struggling with.

I have Uno synth, and while Reason 10.2 is using Uno Synth Midi cconnection I can't use VST editor for it.
It shows me the same "waiting for Uno" message.

I use Windows 7.
Hey there, so it turns out that Reason is not properly equipped to deal with MIDI messages being received by hardware, so the idea of using the Uno synth within Reason is a one-way trip of signals going to the Uno, but nothing returning.

I do find the Uno a bit finicky even when using the PC app and the Uno device together, in that the Waiting for Uno message does happen from time to time.

So unless someone know a method of getting MIDI back into Reason, I think the answer to this problem is that the Uno must be used to receive MIDI, and then record the audio stream back into a distinct track.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

devilfish

14 Feb 2019

Same with the Moog Sub37 VST..

Reason can‘t do Midi very well.. it‘s a shame!

seqoi

15 Feb 2019

fotizimo wrote:
15 Oct 2018

Neither VST seems to allow me to use the hardware devices as control surfaces while in reason. When I add the VSTs for either device, I can send MIDI messages from Keystep and Reason to the hardware devices, but cannot receive MIDI control messages back into the VSTs. In the Roland System-1 VST for the MIDI in section, it always shows the various System-1 devices (System-1, System-1 Ctrl) as disabled and doesn't seem to receive.
I think your problem (and problem of guy with Moog) is is that you are using or trying to use ports enabled in both applications (your Reason and your editor be it VST or standalone) . If you are using ASIO driver with Reason it was always like that in any program.

That's a limitation and a rule. You can not use one port in more then one application. I mean if you use some device MIDI port (be it actual or virtual by USB) in Reason - you can not use it in VST itself or standalone itself because it's already occupied in Reason settings.

Try to disable Uno port in Reason midi settings/preferences. And then try to load uno VST and enable them there. Tweak Uno and tell me what's happening.

I have a lot of hardware connected to reason, however i have different setup and proper midi patchbay ( i also use few of these https://www.thomann.de/intl/kenton_midi_thru_5.htm) . And i don't have uno but concept should be same.

Tell us did it helped.

• Information