My wishlist for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
boingy

11 Feb 2019

My wishlist for Reason 11

These suggestions are from a Reason 9.5 viewpoint.

1. Record multiple MIDI takes in a loop. This could be as simple as adding an "auto-alt" button to switch to a new note lane each time around the loop or it could work exactly like the audio recording with a comping view for MIDI. Select and combine your best takes. I know the common workaround with the EMI but it's a bit fiddly and more than a bit geeky.

2. MIDI Transposition. Add a scalar (diatonic) option to keep those chords under control.

3. MIDI Step record. Handy for roughing out a chord sequence.

4. Sequencer view. Add the ability to annotate song sections (verse, chorus etc) and also list the chord progressions. My current workaround is to add an EMI with two note lanes. The lanes are full of empty clips with labels. One lane says, "intro, verse 1, bridge, chorus" etc and the other says stuff like "D, G, A, G...". I thought Block mode would help with the sections thing but it is way too confusing.

5. Give us a way to add lyrics to the sequencer view. I don't need a karaoke, syllable-accurate thing, just somewhere to put the words along the timeline. How about a text lane or a text "instrument"? Failing that, how about a built-in version of VST Notepad? Just a freeform text box where you can keep lyrics and notes about the song.

6. A simple "view MIDI clip on a staff" option. Once again, I don't need a full-on music score editing thing, just the ability to see the notes on a staff to help with composition. I currently run with MuseScore in the background for this purpose but the work flow is a pain. Failing that, how about the option to see note names on the events in the piano roll view?

7. Rack view. Add the ability to hide devices completely and to fully collapse mix channels. At present you have to see the collapsed mix channel and the collapsed instrument inside it. If nothing else can I at least hide the hardware interface and master section? I hardly ever need to go near them so they just take up precious space.

8. Add support for VST MIDI plug-ins. I'd like to record the MIDI output from VST plug-ins. This is about the only reason I ever jump back into Cakewalk-land at present.

9. Add the capability for Reason to be a ReWire host or find a way to make Reason VSTs work in ReWire slave mode. VSTs have killed my ReWire usage.

10. Don't punish people who are trialling REs by making them click the "Log In" button each time they start Reason on a fully authorised PC. It's only a small annoyance but, you know, just gimme an "autologin" tick box and have done with it!

11. Offer a free upgrade from 9.5 to 11 for the first person to offer exactly 11 suggestions for version 11....

I'll probably think of something else in a minute...

Molotovbeatz

11 Feb 2019

Hi boingy, there is a section called Reason Feature Requests just right above, you might wanna add this thread there or at least ask the moderators to move it in there. If you want the devs to read your thoughts, I believe there would be the right place to express all wishes and feature ideas.

jam-s

11 Feb 2019

Actually, if you want the props to really read the suggestions you should mail them.

boingy

11 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
11 Feb 2019
Hi boingy, there is a section called Reason Feature Requests just right above, you might wanna add this thread there or at least ask the moderators to move it in there. If you want the devs to read your thoughts, I believe there would be the right place to express all wishes and feature ideas.
I actually looked for such a section and failed to find it. Now that you've pointed it out it's magically visible to me (cough cough).

Mods, yes, please move it to the correct place.

dezma

21 Feb 2019

1. A working find missing samples function.. I mean it runs for hours finding nothing what's the point. Absolute garbage
2. Playing loops in sync. Ableton does it since ages.
3. Competitive VST performance
4. Being able to automate complex synths without workarounds (avenger needs to be in combinator to automate)
5. Midi VST
6. Audio drag n drop to VST

Have reported 6 & 4 several times without even decent feedback so did not upgrade to R10 (first time since R4)

• Information