Reason Drum Kits RE in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gullum

09 Feb 2019

jjkjjk wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Can I trigger these with my Nord Drum 3p?
the Nord Drum 3p has midi out so I don't see why not.

Ostermilk

09 Feb 2019

guitfnky wrote:
08 Feb 2019

yeah, I’m sure that’s all in the manual, but I think it’s a demonstration that they’re putting some thought into these, rather than just throwing a bunch of samples into a new skin and selling it. that accusation seems to get tossed around way too frequently, lately.
Yes, the thought that went into this actually mostly occured during the recording of the samples, way back in the day. The interface just ties the sample set together to make a nice interactive, self-contained module.

I love the original samples from the ReFill, this RE for £35 is a no brainer. Sometimes during the arrangement phase having a single Gb devoted to getting the drum parts down is far more productive than getting nuances out of a bigger drumpler such as Superior Drummer, Addictive drums and the like.

Sure you can make it 'machine-gun' like a goodun if you are not careful, but with judicious use some of those excellent and unique sounding snares, toms and kicks you can get plenty done in a short space of time.

Bought after a single trial after realising how well it brought the sample set (which I already loved) together. My favourite IDT so far I think.

PinkSlime

09 Feb 2019

Would be really nice to do something similar with percussion samples too. Also to allow usage of own samples (like a built in NNXT with extra fx modules).

This package as well as the UMPFs have pieces of the functionality we would like all in one: Layers like kong with own modules for fx, ADSR editing like umpf, transients-saturation-EQ-comp like in reason drumkits, some external outs in between for possible extra inserts, master section with delay-reverb-bus comp-tape. All with modules you can change/activate or not. Would make a very nice and complete drum sampler architecture :ugeek:

guitfnky

09 Feb 2019

PinkSlime wrote:
09 Feb 2019
Would be really nice to do something similar with percussion samples too. Also to allow usage of own samples (like a built in NNXT with extra fx modules).

This package as well as the UMPFs have pieces of the functionality we would like all in one: Layers like kong with own modules for fx, ADSR editing like umpf, transients-saturation-EQ-comp like in reason drumkits, some external outs in between for possible extra inserts, master section with delay-reverb-bus comp-tape. All with modules you can change/activate or not. Would make a very nice and complete drum sampler architecture :ugeek:
if you're not opposed to using VSTs, one of the Addictive Drums expansions is specifically for percussion. there are a ton of different percussion instruments, and as always with XLN stuff, they sound incredible.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

QVprod

09 Feb 2019

PinkSlime wrote:
09 Feb 2019

Basically an updated Kong.

jam-s

09 Feb 2019

QVprod wrote:
09 Feb 2019
PinkSlime wrote:
09 Feb 2019

Yup the Props should just update Kong to "King of the Kongs" or something with al the features the have been requested over and over again while they port it over to the RE-SDK stack. (I'm assuming all native devices will be ported to the RE-SDK in the long run and after this is done we might get the high resolution update).

QVprod

09 Feb 2019

jam-s wrote:
09 Feb 2019
QVprod wrote:
09 Feb 2019

Yup the Props should just update Kong to "King of the Kongs" or something with al the features the have been requested over and over again while they port it over to the RE-SDK stack. (I'm assuming all native devices will be ported to the RE-SDK in the long run and after this is done we might get the high resolution update).
I would definitely go for a Kong update. It was my favorite drum sampler until I started using Battery.

SoulState

09 Feb 2019

Magnus wrote:
08 Feb 2019
SoulState wrote:
08 Feb 2019

Oh, can answer this one...There's loads LOADS more midi files!
I've just done a proper comparison and it looks like it's the same MIDI content as the RDK, but split out into component files. i.e. 105 Buffalo Gals.mid in RDK contains 3 loops and 3 fills all in a single MIDI file. That one file has been split out in the RE so it's now over 6 different files thus we have 105 Buffalo Gals 1(to 3).mid files and 105 Buffalo Gals Fill 1 (to 3).mid files but inside is still the same programmed data as before.

Regardless, this new RE is still a nicer way to interact with the samples than the ReFill version; but it does look like it has zero new content besides nice new graphics and built-in FX! :)
Oh right, I've been duped :P
Kinda makes it easier to work with though, having the midi split up into individual files instead of one looooong piece of midi data in the sequencer :shock:
:reason:

mooseharris

10 Feb 2019

Wasn't in a position to pay full price, so thanks for the discount code.

I had to have a look, especially for £37.41. Excellent sounds, dead easy to use, I like the interface as I can mix drums in the Re and save space in the main mixer, or I can send the individual drums' stereo signals to the mixer for more EQ and control.

Individual input triggers on the back, which is also very nice.
djs wrote:
08 Feb 2019
This is great news. So recording midi directly from a Roland electronic drum set will be compatible with Reason?
The best bit, which possible answers the above, it will receive the correct input including velocity if you send from the usual touch pads on many midi controllers. I've just tried off the pad section of the Roland A-800PRO.

Better, it's exactly mapped to my Roland V-Drums, so I can sit at the kit and play about as badly as I normally do, then quantise my various inaccurate inputs back into time. I have a slightly expanded Roland TD-4 with all mesh pads and an extra cymbal, so I have exactly the same pads as the Re has instruments. I've been after something like this for ages.

antic604

10 Feb 2019

I had no idea I could get this at -60%!!! :o Purchased :)

superpop

11 Feb 2019

After bass and drums kits all I want is a Reason Brass Kit. :puf_smile:

diminished
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2019

Soul School and Disco School as a RE :thumbs_up:
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2019

Man!!! I loooooooove this!!! Up until now I've been totally and completely crap at playing and programming drums. This RE...THIS RE!!!!!!! Groovin' with the best of them. Did I already say it? I loooooooove this RE. Best ever.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

SoulState

11 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
11 Feb 2019
Man!!! I loooooooove this!!! Up until now I've been totally and completely crap at playing and programming drums. This RE...THIS RE!!!!!!! Groovin' with the best of them. Did I already say it? I loooooooove this RE. Best ever.
I hear ya!
This :re: makes getting a good drum track down a breeze. I usually rely on loops for that, nothing wrong with loops but it's good to mix it up sometimes. Yeah could do it with the old RDK I suppose but I rarely did - finding it way too clunky and thus anti-creative.
Last edited by SoulState on 11 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

sublunar

11 Feb 2019

HOT DAMN. This was sorely needed. I've been waiting for this for so long..

I actually PM'd Matthias a few months ago suggesting pretty much this exactly. Maybe that didn't have anything to do with this.. but maybe it did. lol

Of course I have since bought Superior Drummer 3.. But I might just go ahead and get this anyway because I don't like having to use VSTs and deal with the installation/space taken up on my laptop's drives for SD3. This would at least allow me/us to get ideas down without having to leave the Reason ecosystem. Of course my main production machine will still run SD3, but it's always nice to have options..

Thanks for the discount!

Wobbleburger

11 Feb 2019

Well, as of now, I have both RDK and AD2 - They're both great but I love that RDK is inside of an RE. Saves me the VST trouble AND more I love the CV outs for sidechaining. The audio outs really, really puts it miles above AD2.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

guitfnky

11 Feb 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
11 Feb 2019
Well, as of now, I have both RDK and AD2 - They're both great but I love that RDK is inside of an RE. Saves me the VST trouble AND more I love the CV outs for sidechaining. The audio outs really, really puts it miles above AD2.
you can send AD outs to tracks too, using the VST outs on the back. it’s not quite as straightforward as the ones on RDK, but it’s more flexible, because you can choose whether you still also want to route through the AD mixer/effects.

BradfordMoeller

12 Feb 2019

Currently trying this out, having a really strange time a/b'ing this with EZDrummer haha, totally different in so many ways. It's exciting and will probably buy it even if I hardly use it, just because I've wanted something like this since RE's existed. Thanks PH <3
:reason:)))

Faastwalker

12 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
08 Feb 2019
chimp_spanner wrote:
08 Feb 2019
How do I access the promo for being an existing RDK owner? But yeah overall I like this! The only thing I'd really like is for the kick drum to be on B and C. Don't know if that can be changed in an update or something?
Just enter the code RDKSAVE at checkout and you’ll get the discount.
Cool. I'm tempted to buy this with the discount. Little interest in acoustic drums. But at the discount price I can experiment with this :D

guitfnky

12 Feb 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
12 Feb 2019
Little interest in acoustic drums.
can someone translate this into English? all I see is gibberish. :lol:

VariableX

12 Feb 2019

Jumped on it, first thing i've bought in ages 😀

KirkMarkarian

12 Feb 2019

It's a really nice set of drums, and with a little work, you can go from ordinary to amazing. I was easily able to create early 50s - 70s drum tones like bossa nova styles from other countries besides the US. Very loudly, as well. Crisp and articulate while maintaining a booming, heavy sound. A lot of it really stems from choosing drums and then really messing with their settings. I can get tight funky kits, or straight-up acoustic guitar electric pop rocks whatever.

I would say this is a plug 'n play RE, but it's really much more than that. Coming from a sound-design/engineering background, my viewpoint is probably skewed towards the DIY method. And you get it here. With separate CVs, separate channel outs. And for less than $40 if you use the discount.

For one, you get a bunch of great drum samples. I did not have these samples, and now that I do, with the options that are built-in? Holy crap-a-mole! Secondly, with a little bit of tinkering, you'll get really unique sounding drums that'll fit most "musical" styles? With mic positions? With drastic pitch alteration? With microphone bleed and the ability to determine the rooms effect on the drums and their tonal resonance next to each other? C'mon, this is pretty great! If somebody can't make something good or great with this?

I've got no problem with Addictive Drums or whatever else one might be using, use whatever! These are great, no complaints here, and they're a native RE. Wowee, man!

Wobbleburger

12 Feb 2019

guitfnky wrote:
11 Feb 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
11 Feb 2019
you can send AD outs to tracks too, using the VST outs on the back. it’s not quite as straightforward as the ones on RDK, but it’s more flexible, because you can choose whether you still also want to route through the AD mixer/effects.
Interesting - I'll have to try that - I didn't realize it could do that.

One thing that bugs me is that Drum Sequencer has to be custom set to get the hi hats on the right channel. By default, it's normally a kick and then 8 difference snare sounds on AD2
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

Pingafuego

13 Feb 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
12 Feb 2019
guitfnky wrote:
11 Feb 2019

One thing that bugs me is that Drum Sequencer has to be custom set to get the hi hats on the right channel. By default, it's normally a kick and then 8 difference snare sounds on AD2
Is there a preset to use drum sequencer with RDK or AD/Ez Drummer?

BradfordMoeller

14 Feb 2019

Pingafuego wrote:
13 Feb 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
12 Feb 2019

Is there a preset to use drum sequencer with RDK or AD/Ez Drummer?
It's not too difficult to set up, but you'll need at least 2 instances of drum sequencer to make it worthwhile imo, and in the case of EZ Drummer, it has a really powerful set of tools to work with/ mold it's internal/ expandable MIDI library, so it's more often a more enjoyable/ productive experience working within EZD as much as possible when starting a song. Not sure what AD's MIDI offerings are like, though.
:reason:)))

• Information