Make Rack Bigger

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Popnfrsh24

10 Feb 2019

Hey everybody,

So I'm still in the trial version of Reason 10, and one of the gripes about the older version was that the rack mixer is so small on my screen. I got the demo of Reason 10 in hopes they would have fixed that issue by now. From a quick google search....it looks like this hasn't been fixed? Am I correct?

Have you guys found ways to get around this so that it looks bigger on your screen? Besides changing resolution?

Thanks

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Saviour, the SSL mixing console?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Popnfrsh24

10 Feb 2019

not sure what point you're trying to make....basically you're emphasizing you do all your stuff via the SSL mixing console? But, you still have to deal with a tiny Rack view??

jam-s

10 Feb 2019

If your screen resolution does not match your eye vision you might want to think about glasses or another screen.

moneykube

10 Feb 2019

I make it smaller... I like to suffer
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

superpop

10 Feb 2019

Popnfrsh24 wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Hey everybody,

So I'm still in the trial version of Reason 10, and one of the gripes about the older version was that the rack mixer is so small on my screen. I got the demo of Reason 10 in hopes they would have fixed that issue by now. From a quick google search....it looks like this hasn't been fixed? Am I correct?

Have you guys found ways to get around this so that it looks bigger on your screen? Besides changing resolution?

Thanks
I'm too like to have that option. Bigger rack, bigger REs, bigger sequencer, bigger browser...

fieldframe
RE Developer

10 Feb 2019

Probably fair to say this is one of the top concerns in the Reason user community right now, and it’s likely a high priority for Propellerhead. We know the immediate priority is the audio engine rewrite for 10.3, and I would wager that a UI rewrite is the next step.

The problem, as best I can see, is that the code used to render the rack is twenty years old and needs to be rewritten to take advantage of modern GPUs. A new rack renderer will make a bunch of stuff possible, from zooming, to hiDPI support, to smooth scrolling. It’ll be great if this is one of the marquee features in Reason 11.

Popnfrsh24

11 Feb 2019

fieldframe wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Probably fair to say this is one of the top concerns in the Reason user community right now, and it’s likely a high priority for Propellerhead. We know the immediate priority is the audio engine rewrite for 10.3, and I would wager that a UI rewrite is the next step.

The problem, as best I can see, is that the code used to render the rack is twenty years old and needs to be rewritten to take advantage of modern GPUs. A new rack renderer will make a bunch of stuff possible, from zooming, to hiDPI support, to smooth scrolling. It’ll be great if this is one of the marquee features in Reason 11.
Ah interesting...that makes sense now.

Do you guys have an inkling on when reason 11 will come out? I like reason a lot and want to buy it, but it's a hard sell with the two main issues I have found with it. Does it just make sense to wait until Reason 11? Is there talk about when 11 will be released?

I'm assuming Reason does offer an upgrade discount to go from 10 to 11...any idea on how much that has cost in the past?

Thanks,

Joey

diminished
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2019

10.3 will come out first and even with that there is radio silence right now. So, no talk about v11 yet.
An upgrade from full version to another is usually USD $129, no matter how many iterations you skip :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

antic604

11 Feb 2019

fieldframe wrote:
10 Feb 2019
As much as I share your enthusiasm (and I pray you're right), there's NOTHING that points to Props actively working on that... Hope I'm wrong :)
Popnfrsh24 wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Besides changing resolution?
Yeah, that's the only way for now.

If you're on Windows, you can also increase Windows' scaling factor (it's in one of the right-click menus on the desktop) to get the same result, but - usually - dropping resolution works better.

diminished
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2019

Popnfrsh24 wrote:
10 Feb 2019
not sure what point you're trying to make....basically you're emphasizing you do all your stuff via the SSL mixing console? But, you still have to deal with a tiny Rack view??
Didn't want to troll, sorry, and I can only speak for myself, but the old mixer is not needed any longer for my workflow at all, except when I want to open old project files. The rack size is okay for me, @ FullHD resolution. I believe our 4k brothers and sisters have a different opinion.

Ermitage

11 Feb 2019

4k? I've stopped using it because of the resolution and I'm only on 1440p.

Popnfrsh24

11 Feb 2019

Has anybody used some sort of program to just increase the size of something upon the middle mouse button click? My old mouse use to have that and thought it was a clever idea...basically whenever you click the middle button a square pops up with everything zoomed in so it's like you're looking through a magnifying glass. Seems like this could be useful for reason.

Does anybody do this now?

Molotovbeatz

11 Feb 2019

diminished wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Saviour, the SSL mixing console?
Yeah hahaha, even on a 2k display the SSL mixer is still a pain to look at.

poreyday

23 Jun 2020

Windows button and + for zooming in - for zooming out.

For Mac it's command + or -

Make sure you have enabled accessibility

fullforce

25 Jun 2020

This makes me think of Weird Science.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

NDKay

25 Jun 2020

fullforce wrote:
25 Jun 2020
...this makes me think of L-I-S-A

---------------

We have confirmation here on RT that RS is working on that matter ! No.... no releasedate or anything near or something, but they "werk" it !
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

Billy+

25 Jun 2020

Popnfrsh24 wrote:
10 Feb 2019

What resolution are you running?

BRIGGS

25 Jun 2020

try squinting

r11s

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2020

Some folks want the SSL to be bigger, some want it to be smaller (so they can fit more channels on screen). Since there appears to be no "one size fits all" there's going to have to be at least two options (like the Pro Tools mixer): a wide (current) view and a narrow view.

I don't know how I've managed to avoid having this issue - I've used Reason since 2003 or so and it looks the same today on my iMac retina display as it did on my G3 CRT (or if it's changed, it's not enough for me to notice).

I have no real issue with the SSL for my work flow, other than wanting a dark mode option. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

plaamook

26 Jun 2020

NDKay wrote:
25 Jun 2020
fullforce wrote:
25 Jun 2020
...this makes me think of L-I-S-A

---------------

We have confirmation here on RT that RS is working on that matter ! No.... no releasedate or anything near or something, but they "werk" it !
I guess she’s into malakas, eh Dino?
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

NDKay

27 Jun 2020

plaamook wrote:
26 Jun 2020

I guess she’s into malakas, eh Dino?
:wtf:

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

fiddlestickz

01 Mar 2021

please for the love of everything when is Reason going to be able to resize things..??? this is getting stupid now it's been years people have been asking for this, why can't this most basic need be sorted out..? It forces me to use Ableton more and more.

brand

01 Mar 2021

Maybe this is obvious, but here's what I do as a work-around:

I use an iMAC. I hold <CONTROL>, and use the mouse "wheel" (or surface on the Magic Mouse) to zoom the entire screen in Reason. The annoying thing about this is that I do not have the entire screen, but just the zoomed part. Hitting the mouse cursor on the edges of the display will move the viewable portion. The zoom can really help, whether it's an RE, the SSL, or the sequencer. Then, hold <CONTROL> again, and snap the wheel back down until it stops to return to normal size.
Perfect? Far from it, but it works. Example: Start playing the track when zoomed, and the general built-in movement of the seq will look funny, because the screen is zoomed. So it has to be un-zoomed. A more elegant native solution would be great... Probably there's been a ton of ideas raised here. I think some kind of thing where we can pop an RE out to full screen, work on it, and easily pop it back might be good.

For the SSL, this would be harder I think. For example, pop out a channel, and have it sort of folded across the screen. But this probably wouldn't work well as the mixing process is more interdependent on all the channels. But for detailed work soloed, that might be good as an option. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience with other DAWS. But I think there are always aspects of different programs which handle some processes better or worse than others.

For Windows, I think the similar zooming move will work, but I have not tested it out as I don't have Reason on Windows.

stratatonic

01 Mar 2021

brand wrote:
01 Mar 2021
Maybe this is obvious, but here's what I do as a work-around:

I use an iMAC. I hold <CONTROL>, and use the mouse "wheel" (or surface on the Magic Mouse) to zoom the entire screen in Reason. The annoying thing about this is that I do not have the entire screen, but just the zoomed part. Hitting the mouse cursor on the edges of the display will move the viewable portion. The zoom can really help, whether it's an RE, the SSL, or the sequencer. Then, hold <CONTROL> again, and snap the wheel back down until it stops to return to normal size.
Perfect? Far from it, but it works.
You could also press OPTION/CMD and press the "+" key.
That will zoom you in centered to where you have your cursor. You can zoom in even more from the initial key press.
Zoom out to where you started: OPTION/CMD and "-"

• Information