5" monitors without HISS.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
elMisse

30 Oct 2018

Are there any cheapish little 5" monitors without hiss?
I just hate it. And I work mostly at low volumelevels. :)

I had a pair of 3" Genelecs which were very quiet, but I a pair of 5" version of those would cost 1100€.

I've heard JBL, Tannoy, KRK, M-audio, Yamaha and they all had quite significant amount of background hissing going on. Tannoy was the absolute worst :D
I probably haven't listened to the latest versions though.

elMisse

10 Nov 2018

Well, I did get to try a pair of Adam audio A3X and I'm about to buy them now. Absolutely minimal hiss, and surprisingly just the right size for this small room. :thumbs_up:

splangie

10 Nov 2018

A little below cheapish at 129 a pair, I just ordered these yesterday -

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... s-with-usb

I like all the inputs, that will be convenient, but I am not expecting them to sound good just fair or so and I will need to add a sub.

splangie

10 Nov 2018

splangie wrote:
10 Nov 2018
A little below cheapish at 129 a pair, I just ordered these yesterday -

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... s-with-usb

I like all the inputs, that will be convenient, but I am not expecting them to sound good just fair or so and I will need to add a sub.
I'll let you know about the hiss.

splangie

14 Nov 2018

The Behringer 50USBs have very little hiss.

cognitive

02 Dec 2018

I have a pair of the JBL 305p MkIIs. The hiss is there, but I haven't found it problematic.

syncanonymous

19 Dec 2018

so you have hiss on a monitor with no audio feeding it...interesting
you sure it isn't your electrical supply
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

O1B

19 Dec 2018

More information is needed to compute OP's issue.
Hiss.

Routing: ITB/Guitar/Drum Machines/Synths? to? Pedals? to Mixer? to AMP? to Speakers?

I use Bose (Soundlink2, SLIII) and Focals 6 ins.
On the Bose. CRANKED. ITB straight in... no HISS.... BUT, via Pedals, Mixers, etc, then w/o Gain Staging... HISS.
Natural.

I've never gone 'straight' into the Focals (from any sound source) - but - after about 4 clicks on the volume control ... Hisss.

the image below is of the cm40s, but the 9/10 o'clock position on the left about all the volume I need (0 volume is 6/7o'clock)
At 3-4 clicks, Im at proper Room level Volume at Unity.
Minimal natural Hiss.
So... Again, Natural.

In any case, I believe 'we're monitoring the AMP' - not the speaker - so you should be able to 'see the noise' before it hits the speakers.

I think OP's problem is being mis-diagnosed.
A little more info, and OP may start to LOVE their speakers.

My cheap lil Bose Soundlink 2s sound Great - properly gain staged. So the Big Name Speakers in OP are probably just fine.

Retika

11 Feb 2019

More data is expected to figure Operation's issue.

Murmur.

Steering: ITB/Guitar/Drum Machines/Synths? to? Pedals? to Blender? to AMP? to Speakers?

I use Bose (Soundlink2, SLIII) and Focals 6 ins.

On the Bose. Wrenched. ITB straight in... no HISS... Be that as it may, by means of Pedals, Blenders, and so forth, at that point w/o Addition Organizing... Murmur.

Regular.

I've never gone 'straight' into the Focals (from any solid source) - yet - after around 4 ticks on the volume control ... Hisss.

demt

11 Feb 2019

surely its the amp that hiss not the speakers
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

elMisse

18 Feb 2019

Ah, discussion still going on here!

My problem here was quality differences between the (probably PSU's) in active monitors amplifiers.
Just try to get budget Tannoys or previous gen 30x JBL's to be quiet, even when no input and gain at 0. :)

Everything is of course relative, and that is why I specified my preferences like I did. Composing work in quiet environment and mostly with pretty low volumes. Of course it would not be a problem for all of us! :D

Anyway, I've been really satisfied with my pair of Adams.

• Information