Saving each lanes as WAV

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Molotovbeatz

10 Feb 2019

Hello :reason: gang,

Just a simple question, is there a way to save every lane separately as WAV file? I mean I could mute every lane and only unmute a single lane to save it as a WAV but that would be time consuming. Any advice how can I save all lanes in WAV separately in one go?

Thank you.

Loque

10 Feb 2019

File menu -> Bounce Mix Channels.
Reason12, Win10

Molotovbeatz

10 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
10 Feb 2019
I understand that I would find it somewhere in a file or? A location where I could check?

Loque

10 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Loque wrote:
10 Feb 2019
I understand that I would find it somewhere in a file or? A location where I could check?
In the menu? File-menu?
http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason10/M ... Manual.pdf

Page 520...
Reason12, Win10

Molotovbeatz

10 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
10 Feb 2019

In the menu? File-menu?

Page 520...
Thank man. I will study the document at work tomorrow. Will be a lot of reading but I guess will be worth it instead of asking some stupid questions :P sorry

Loque

10 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Loque wrote:
10 Feb 2019

In the menu? File-menu?

Page 520...
Thank man. I will study the document at work tomorrow. Will be a lot of reading but I guess will be worth it instead of asking some stupid questions :P sorry
NP. There you will find everything you are looking for and i do not need to explain every detail.
Reason12, Win10

Karim
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
Molotovbeatz wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Thank man. I will study the document at work tomorrow. Will be a lot of reading but I guess will be worth it instead of asking some stupid questions [emoji14] sorry
NP. There you will find everything you are looking for and i do not need to explain every detail.
He asked for exporting separate lanes, not mixer channels. You can have 10 lanes but they not corresponds necessarly to 10 mixer channels. You need to bounce in place in some cases

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Loque

10 Feb 2019

Karim wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Loque wrote: NP. There you will find everything you are looking for and i do not need to explain every detail.
He asked for exporting separate lanes, not mixer channels. You can have 10 lanes but they not corresponds necessarly to 10 mixer channels. You need to bounce in place in some cases

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
True. You can directly bounce to a file. Never tried with multiple lines.
Reason12, Win10

Molotovbeatz

11 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
10 Feb 2019

True. You can directly bounce to a file. Never tried with multiple lines.
For example I have a KONG DRUM mixer channel with 9 lanes.

Also a question because I couldn't find the answer in the document: What happenes to the bounce mixer channel if I don't select the MASTER SECTION? And what does it mean if we select the Master Section?

What I want to achieve is to save each lane separately or each mixer channel on the sequencer to separate Wav file already mastered with all the compression from the Master section. If I understand correctly the option "Master section" in the bounce window have to be selected?

Loque

11 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
11 Feb 2019
Also a question because I couldn't find the answer in the document: What happenes to the bounce mixer channel if I don't select the MASTER SECTION? And what does it mean if we select the Master Section?
If you select the MASTER output, everything that you "hear" will be rendered. Otherwise only the channel and it's fx is rendered, so no send fx or master fx.

Molotovbeatz wrote:
11 Feb 2019
What I want to achieve is to save each lane separately or each mixer channel on the sequencer to separate Wav file already mastered with all the compression from the Master section. If I understand correctly the option "Master section" in the bounce window have to be selected?
Yes, but it bounces the Mixer-Channels to a file and not the note-lanes. You can try it to bounce in place, maybe it works - never tried.

It is a good practice to have all your drum stuff on a separate Mix Chanel for further control. To achieve this, you can send a Kong-Channel to a dedicated Output on the backside of Kong, which you than can route to a dedicated SSL Mix Channel. It is a bit cumbersome, tricky and has some drawbacks. To go around this, i just use samplers or multiple Kongs/Redrums for my drum-needs, but this is a bit cumbersome if you want to play all your drums at once on the midi-controller.

I think you get the point. Understand the difference between mix channels, note lanes and all the routing capabilities to get what you want. Your mix downs may get even more complicated as soon as you have parallel channels, buses and other fancy routing like side-chaining and more.
Reason12, Win10

Molotovbeatz

11 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
11 Feb 2019

If you select the MASTER output, everything that you "hear" will be rendered. Otherwise only the channel and it's fx is rendered, so no send fx or master fx.
I am confused now, what is the difference between selecting Master output for it to be rendered on the Bouncing option and Exporting the whole Song as a wav file in the RE menu? Different method of exporting a song but same result? is that what I understand?
Loque wrote:
11 Feb 2019
Yes, but it bounces the Mixer-Channels to a file and not the note-lanes. You can try it to bounce in place, maybe it works - never tried.
Yeah I know what you talk about, I am not talking about having the note-lanes saved. I am talking about exporting the lanes in the Sequencer into a Wav file (not the loop, but the entire sequence)
Loque wrote:
11 Feb 2019
It is a good practice to have all your drum stuff on a separate Mix Chanel for further control. To achieve this, you can send a Kong-Channel to a dedicated Output on the backside of Kong, which you than can route to a dedicated SSL Mix Channel. It is a bit cumbersome, tricky and has some drawbacks. To go around this, i just use samplers or multiple Kongs/Redrums for my drum-needs, but this is a bit cumbersome if you want to play all your drums at once on the midi-controller.
I already separated my drums from KONG separately on each mixing channel, I assigned all 16 pads to 16 differents mixing channel in the Mixer.

I am still confused about the option "Master Section" in "Bounce Mixer channel" . If I don't select this, the bounced individual mixer channels will be rendered without Mastering Comp?

Below an exemple of my sequencer from an old project with different lanes on 1 mixer channel

newlane.jpg
newlane.jpg (79 KiB) Viewed 3889 times

PhillipOrdonez

11 Feb 2019

If you select matter section it will bounce the whole master output into a single file as when you export the song normally.

None of the effects in the mastering chain will be applied to your individual mixer channels because they are supposed to affect the whole master output (the channels combined). Why would anyone want to export individual channels with the mastering processing applied individually? If you want that processing on each channel for whatever reason, just put the processing on each channel? But why? No, just bpunce your individual channels and then do the mastering to them together on a new project file.

Edit: typos

Loque

11 Feb 2019

Ok, i think you do not have a a clip over the whole song in your note lanes, which makes bounce in place a problem, if you want to have it in a whole. I wanted some assistance here too in the past...Since this actually not possible, you need to go via "File menu -> bounce mixer channels" and select your loop or the whole song.

And you are right, if you just bounce the track/mixchannel/notelane and not the master, you will not have the master compressor. But this does not really makes sense for creating stems to have the master compressor included, because you gonna master the stems later, right? And the problem with the master channel is, that it contains everything that is audible, so if you want to have each track including all mastering stuff, you need to solo the channels. But even in this case, the results would probably would sound different - just think of the master fx/compressor/... that interact in a whole or on each channel... And soloing may have the drawback as i mentioned before, like with side chaining and such stuff...

Maybe you are a bit on the wrong track here with what you want to achieve. And for later mastering you should not use master fx like compressor, limiter, maximizer or whatever.

Sit back, and think about what you really want to have in your stems and what they should represent. Than lets discuss again, how to get to this point.
Reason12, Win10

Molotovbeatz

11 Feb 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Feb 2019

None of the effects in the mastering chain will be applied to your individual mixer channels because they are supposed to affect the whole master output (the channels combined). Why would anyone want to export individual channels with the mastering processing applied individually? If you want that processing on each channel for whatever reason, just put the processing on each channel? But why? No, just bpunce your individual channels and then do the mastering to them together on a new project file.
Loque wrote:
11 Feb 2019
And you are right, if you just bounce the track/mixchannel/notelane and not the master, you will not have the master compressor. But this does not really makes sense for creating stems to have the master compressor included, because you gonna master the stems later, right? And the problem with the master channel is, that it contains everything that is audible, so if you want to have each track including all mastering stuff, you need to solo the channels. But even in this case, the results would probably would sound different - just think of the master fx/compressor/... that interact in a whole or on each channel... And soloing may have the drawback as i mentioned before, like with side chaining and such stuff...
The idea was to send all tracks already mastered to a friend so that he could only adjust the levels of each one of them when he will record his vocal in his studio.
Loque wrote:
11 Feb 2019
Maybe you are a bit on the wrong track here with what you want to achieve. And for later mastering you should not use master fx like compressor, limiter, maximizer or whatever.
Sit back, and think about what you really want to have in your stems and what they should represent. Than lets discuss again, how to get to this point.
I don't really want complicated things, I just want to have all tracks separate but mastered having included the advance mastering on Ryan's video for High Pass sidechaining. I understand that if I bounce the mixer/lanes individually + the Master Section, they will not sound the same as if I would export the whole song as a single wav file? But the Master chain mixer affects everything in the mixer channels right?

And related to this discussion so it's better then to apply all those advanced mastering tricks on the final song? Which I already did, I just want those tracks to be separated now for level control only. That is at least the idea on what I want to do. So bouncing everything into individual wav files as flat without master comp is a double job because I already applied Mastering process into my current projects with my sequencer and the Mixers channels.

I am kinda new to all of this, maybe the process I follow is not the correct one and I would like to learn how it should be done properly. I wont mind experimenting with the bounced wav files, I just don't know really where to start. No experience here with proper mastering in Reason.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Feb 2019

Mastering is I done to the final song/album; it is the very last step.

You don't want to apply any "mastering" to your individual t channels. Send him the tracks so he can "level" them and then what will happen? Well he do the mixdown or will he send the individual tracks so you mix them, or somebody else will?

Once you got a final mix, you either bounce that (mixdown) to a single stereo file and then master that, or you apply that on the same mixing project (less common, more resource hungry, less focused on the task).

Loque

11 Feb 2019

I guess the intention is to have your singer control over the track levels for better adjustment to place its voice. If this is the case, it is not so important, that each track is "perfect" like in a mastering stage. Just make a few buses (drums, synths, bass or so) and send them to him. He should not care about levels and vocal leveling, compressing, processing and stuff. It is your job or the job of the mixer/mastering dude.
Reason12, Win10

Molotovbeatz

11 Feb 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Feb 2019
Mastering is I done to the final song/album; it is the very last step.

You don't want to apply any "mastering" to your individual t channels. Send him the tracks so he can "level" them and then what will happen? Well he do the mixdown or will he send the individual tracks so you mix them, or somebody else will?

Once you got a final mix, you either bounce that (mixdown) to a single stereo file and then master that, or you apply that on the same mixing project (less common, more resource hungry, less focused on the task).
Loque wrote:
11 Feb 2019
I guess the intention is to have your singer control over the track levels for better adjustment to place its voice. If this is the case, it is not so important, that each track is "perfect" like in a mastering stage. Just make a few buses (drums, synths, bass or so) and send them to him. He should not care about levels and vocal leveling, compressing, processing and stuff. It is your job or the job of the mixer/mastering dude.
I think I get it now. Unless I am mastering the final song myself I should just send flat files if I want to send them to someone and then they can master it in their studios.

Thank you guys for the help and understanding.

wtthrill

01 Sep 2020

Molotovbeatz wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Hello :reason: gang,

Just a simple question, is there a way to save every lane separately as WAV file? I mean I could mute every lane and only unmute a single lane to save it as a WAV but that would be time consuming. Any advice how can I save all lanes in WAV separately in one go?

Thank you.
So the way I just figured out how to do this without the annoying unmute thing you mentioned is to select the all the data in the individual note lane and select bounce in place. You still have to go through each note lane and do this, but at least it cancels the step of having to mute and unmute everything.
reason screen shot.png
reason screen shot.png (8.16 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
Will McDougal
Musician-Teacher-Arranger-Composer
www.willangelmusic.com

selig
RE Developer

01 Sep 2020

As a side note, exporting individual tracks with mastering will not equal the same thing you hear. This is because when all tracks go through one compressor, as in mastering, it sounds very different from each track going through that same compressor. Firstly, that compressor may not even do anything with the lower levels of each individual track as opposed to the mix level of all tracks combined. Secondly, the interaction in the compressor of all tracks being compressed together will not happen on the individual tracks.

This is a common issue when exporting tracks or stems and expecting them to recreate the original mix when combined again - any mastering or mix level dynamics will behave very differently on individual tracks than it will on the entire mix. This in fact is the reason we often do BOTH: compress individually AND compress sub-mixes and the entire mix. Each has it's function, and the result is different in both cases. This is also true with any saturation effects too, where saturating each track sounds different than saturating the mix, such as with tape saturation plugins etc.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information