Headphone pre-amp for hardware synthesiser

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
mashers

09 Feb 2019

Hi all,

I've got a Microbrute and I want to build a little workstation for it with everything I need, so I can just plug in and jam with headphones. I have a little reverb unit and it's important to have that in the effects chain, as it transforms the sound of the 'brute. I've already got patch leads going from the 'brute's line out to the reverb unit's input. Now I need a little pre-amp to which to connect the output of the reverb so I can plug headphones in.

The problem I'm having is that the output of the 'brute and the reverb unit is all mono, and all of the preamps I can find are stereo. So, can I just use a Y cable like this one to double the output to stereo? Or is there a little (cheap) preamp I could use with a mono input?

Thanks in advance! :)

mashers

10 Feb 2019

In the end I ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003UIBQEI/ ... yCbQFQMQK0

Fingers crossed it does what I think it does ;)

mashers

10 Feb 2019

WTF, why is a direct link to Amazon redirecting to that stupid VigLink thing? I don't want it suggesting other deals. I just want to link to the product I actually bought.

Rason

10 Feb 2019

Hi not sure exactly but the output from the synth and the reverb should be stereo although its single one. Those cables are not for mono to stereo conversion? How could that be even achieved? Doubled mono is probably silence, or still mono, depends on setting.

sent using Tapatalk

mashers

14 Feb 2019

Well the little preamp I ordered arrived today and it worked perfectly! I can jam on my Microbrute through my outboard reverb on headphones!
Rason wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Hi not sure exactly but the output from the synth and the reverb should be stereo although its single one. Those cables are not for mono to stereo conversion? How could that be even achieved? Doubled mono is probably silence, or still mono, depends on setting.
I was thinking that if I could take the single mono signal and then split it to two mono signals that could allow me to use an amp with a stereo input. Similar to how you can split a headphone output to two headphone outputs. But it wasn't necessary in the end anyway as I found a little amp with a mono input.

• Information