New VST plugin SAM-SPL 64 - Help Wanted

Discuss VST stuff here!
pongasoft
RE Developer

05 Jan 2019

Hello everyone

I just released a demo/debug build of my new VST plugin called SAM-SPL 64. This plugin will be free and open source. When I worked on the RE CVA-7 I got a lot of feedback from this forum which really helped in making it (what I believe) is a great plugin.

This is the current set of features of the plugin:

This VST2/3 (and AudioUnit) plugin lets you easily split a sample in up to 64 slices.
  • Use the pads in the plugin or a MIDI keyboard (slices automatically mapped to notes)
  • 2 play modes: hold or trigger
  • Play a single slice at a time or multiple (polyphonic)
  • Each slice can be set to loop and/or play in reverse
  • Edit the sample (Trim, Cut, Crop, Normalize (0dB, -3dB, -6dB), Resample)
  • Continuous smooth zoom all the way to the sample level
  • Show zero crossing
  • Load a sample from the file system or directly sample an input (built-in sampler)
  • Export the sample as a file (wav / aiff supported)
If you are able to help test the plugin and provide feedback that would be really appreciated.

The plugin can be downloaded (for macOS ONLY) at this URL https://github.com/pongasoft/vst-sam-spl-64/releases

Note that it is a Debug build with all logging enabled (if you start your DAW from the command line (for example /Applications/Reason\ 9/Reason.app/Contents/MacOS/Reason) you can see all the logging information...).

Here is what the plugin look like right now:

Yan

Loque

05 Jan 2019

Cool. Well done!
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2019

I don't have a Mac but here are a few comments.
Make +3 +6 dB edit as well. Consider having both soft/hard clip options when you push above full volume.
Make pads play one or several slices and allow overlapping so pad one can play slice 1-3 pad two plays slice 2.
If slice 2 is set to reverse allow pad one to choose reverse mode, ie play slice 1,3 forward but slice 2 in reverse, or play slices 1-3 in reverse.
Read Rex2 markers.
Save as Rex2 (issue with PH licensing?)
Allow markers to be manually added/deleted and moved. Should also work if markers are from a Rex2.
Have a VST insert per slice and per whole sample, allow resampling with the VST printed.
Have two pitch modes, old school, sample length changes and modern, time stretch, so sample length stays the same.
Have adsr and mseg envelopes for volume, that also can be resampled.
EQ per slice and for the whole sample, having low/hi cut with resonance, two selectable shelf/parametric, and one DJ filter knob a resonance.
Selectable pad starting note.
Pad link like in Kong.
Pad mute like in Kong.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

pongasoft
RE Developer

06 Jan 2019

I also just added a Win10 build https://github.com/pongasoft/vst-sam-sp ... tag/v0.9.0

choose pongasoft_sam_spl_64-win_64bits-0.9.0_Debug.zip

Yan

pongasoft
RE Developer

06 Jan 2019

Boombastix wrote:
05 Jan 2019
I don't have a Mac but here are a few comments.
Make +3 +6 dB edit as well. Consider having both soft/hard clip options when you push above full volume.
Make pads play one or several slices and allow overlapping so pad one can play slice 1-3 pad two plays slice 2.
If slice 2 is set to reverse allow pad one to choose reverse mode, ie play slice 1,3 forward but slice 2 in reverse, or play slices 1-3 in reverse.
Read Rex2 markers.
Save as Rex2 (issue with PH licensing?)
Allow markers to be manually added/deleted and moved. Should also work if markers are from a Rex2.
Have a VST insert per slice and per whole sample, allow resampling with the VST printed.
Have two pitch modes, old school, sample length changes and modern, time stretch, so sample length stays the same.
Have adsr and mseg envelopes for volume, that also can be resampled.
EQ per slice and for the whole sample, having low/hi cut with resonance, two selectable shelf/parametric, and one DJ filter knob a resonance.
Selectable pad starting note.
Pad link like in Kong.
Pad mute like in Kong.
Thank you for the feedback.

* I have now posted a windows version so feel free to give it a try
* -3dB and -6dB are not "remove 3dB (resp 6dB)" but are normalize to -3dB (resp. -6dB) => traditional normalize (what is called 0dB in my plugin) bring the max to 0dB. -3dB (resp -6dB) brings the max to -3dB (resp -6dB). The plugin does not have any background or anything, but that would be added in the "normalize" section
* the reason why I created this plugin in the first place was to quickly load a sample and split it at regular interval (slices) because I could not find an easy way to do it in Reason: what I would do was drag/drop a sample in the sequencer, double click on it which opens it with 100s of slices at each transient... delete all of them.. select pen tool to add slices at regular interval, then bounce to rex, then open in rex. If I realized that adding slices every 1/16th was too much or too little, do over... very painful. The plugin lets you quickly select from 1 to 64 slices and get them mapped instantly to pads and/or keyboard. I am not trying to reimplement Rex.
* I do not understand the sentence "Have a VST insert per slice and per whole sample, allow resampling with the VST printed". what do you mean exactly?
* I probably will have to add some form of stretching because the sample loaded may not be of the same tempo and there should be a way to adjust it. Unclear how to implement old school or modern school stretching algo (if you anybody has pointers I am open)
* Having a Selectable pad starting note is on my todo list already

Yan

jam-s

06 Jan 2019

You could take inspiration for stretching algorithms from mixxx.org a really good open source traktor/virtual DJ clone.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2019

I meant, let's say, slice 2 is the snare in a drum loop. Being able to insert a VST to only affect the snare hit, maybe with a bit crusher, then the loop can be played back normally except slice 2 that has the but crush effect on it.

I know the clip to Rex isn't perfect but putting the Rex loop into Kong and being able to play overlapping slices is still close to perfect. My comments were made in the light, how to make a tool that is better than Kong Rex player and Serrato sample.

The only reason would be to release a "free" Serrato sample type player, or being able to make Rex files that can be used in Kong. Anyhow, that was my thinking, you may have a different idea.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

pongasoft
RE Developer

10 Feb 2019

Hello everyone

I just posted a new (demo/debug) build

In the list of changes since previous build:

* split sampling into its own tab

Sampling tab:
* now has a meter to see the input signal and a gain knob to adjust it
* lets you select sampling duration and sampling trigger (when sampling starts)

Edit tab:
* you can now drag/drop a file in the waveform view to load it
* display the slice boundaries
* double click selects a slice
* snap at slice boundary when selecting (alt click to disable)
* shift click to extend the selection
* "z" key (on the keyboard) to zoom to selection and back (I think this does not work on Windows but would like confirmation if you are under Windows)

Play tab:
* added root key selection
* added slice selection (up/down arrows next to slice number)

You can download it (for Mac or PC) at https://github.com/pongasoft/vst-sam-sp ... tag/v0.9.1

Feedback more than welcome.

Thanks
Yan

terra32h

13 Feb 2019

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I'm on Windows 10 Home ( 64 bits), Reason 10.2.2d1. AMD FX-8300 Eight-Core Processor 3.30GHz. 8.00 GB RAM.

It says 'There were errors when inspecting some plugins' and in Manage Plugins it says 'SAM-SPL 64 - could not be loaded'. Yes, I did rename the file to 'SAM-SPL 64.dll'.

I hope it can be fixed. This plugin looks really interesting.

Does it have mp3 support? That would be a life saver.

pongasoft
RE Developer

14 Feb 2019

terra32h wrote:
13 Feb 2019
Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I'm on Windows 10 Home ( 64 bits), Reason 10.2.2d1. AMD FX-8300 Eight-Core Processor 3.30GHz. 8.00 GB RAM.

It says 'There were errors when inspecting some plugins' and in Manage Plugins it says 'SAM-SPL 64 - could not be loaded'. Yes, I did rename the file to 'SAM-SPL 64.dll'.

I hope it can be fixed. This plugin looks really interesting.

Does it have mp3 support? That would be a life saver.
Thank you for reporting the issue. I recently realized that on Windows, there is no logging output so I cannot ask you to check a log file for more clues. I will release a new build shortly which will enable logging and hopefully that will help narrow down the issues.

Do you have any other DAWs you could try it with? I have been testing with Maschine 2 on Windows 10 without any issue.

In regards to mp3 support, at this stage the plugin does not support it but based on demand I could be looking into it (the library I use to load a file does not support it so I would need to use another third party library for this which makes it harder).

Yan

pongasoft
RE Developer

14 Feb 2019

I have uploaded a new version of the windows build with a validator.exe tool included and you can download it here (direct link https://github.com/pongasoft/vst-sam-sp ... _Debug.zip)

After you download it, unzip to a location of your choosing and start a command prompt.

Navigate to the unzipped folder

Code: Select all

cd <path to unzipped folder>

(note that you can drag and drop the folder icon to the command prompt window to get the path)

Issue the command

validator.exe "SAM-SPL 64.vst3"
This should produce a lot of output and run tests and should end with something like this:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Result: 39 tests passed, 0 tests failed
-------------------------------------------------------------
2019-02-14 09:48:11.585 (   2.168s) [                ]samplesplitterprocessor:90       0| SampleSplitterProcessor::terminate()
2019-02-14 09:48:11.589 (   2.172s) [                ]samplesplitterprocessor:46       0| ~SampleSplitterProcessor()
2019-02-14 09:48:11.593 (   2.175s) [                ]samplesplittercontrolle:26       0| ~SampleSplitterController()
Here is a screenshot:
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 09.53.25.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 09.53.25.png (281.15 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
Can you please let me know if running this validator works or fail for you?

Thanks
Yan

terra32h

14 Feb 2019

''Thank you for reporting the issue. I recently realized that on Windows, there is no logging output so I cannot ask you to check a log file for more clues. I will release a new build shortly which will enable logging and hopefully that will help narrow down the issues.

Do you have any other DAWs you could try it with? I have been testing with Maschine 2 on Windows 10 without any issue.

In regards to mp3 support, at this stage the plugin does not support it but based on demand I could be looking into it (the library I use to load a file does not support it so I would need to use another third party library for this which makes it harder).

Yan''

Thank you for your answer. I don't have any other DAW installed at the moment. I could try it over the weekend. I'll let you know if it works. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread though to see if there's news from you or other forum members.

terra32h

14 Feb 2019

Result: 39 tests passed, 0 tests failed.

pongasoft
RE Developer

14 Feb 2019

terra32h wrote:
14 Feb 2019
The good news is that clearly the plugin gets loaded and run properly when loaded via the validator...

I guess the next step is to do another build on my side with logging enabled for Windows to see if we can get more info from the output... I will keep you updated when I have made the changes.

Yan

pongasoft
RE Developer

16 Feb 2019

terra32h wrote:
14 Feb 2019
Ok I just did a new build which you can download from here https://github.com/pongasoft/vst-sam-sp ... _Debug.zip

Make sure you copy the new file in the proper folder and rename it appropriately. Also make sure in Reason you re-enable the plugin otherwise I don't think it will try to reload it.

The only change in this build is to generate a log file which should be in the folder C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Local\Temp. Note that AppData may be a hidden folder and <YourUserName> is your user name. The log file is named sam_spl64_x_y_z.log (x y and z will vary and are numbers)

I am not sure if this will help, but it is still fails, can you look for this log file and send it to me?

Thank you
Yan

terra32h

19 Feb 2019

Interestingly, this one is working. I just replaced the 'SAM-SPL 64' file from the previous build with the one from the latest build in my VST folder and there was no error this time. It now shows up in the Reason Instruments list under Pongasoft and it loads perfectly.

pongasoft
RE Developer

20 Feb 2019

terra32h wrote:
19 Feb 2019
Interestingly, this one is working. I just replaced the 'SAM-SPL 64' file from the previous build with the one from the latest build in my VST folder and there was no error this time. It now shows up in the Reason Instruments list under Pongasoft and it loads perfectly.
That's good news. I am not entirely sure what happened exactly but glad to hear it is working.

I have uncovered an issue with non standard characters in the path for Windows when you open a sample. I will fix it in a later release.

Yan

pongasoft
RE Developer

27 May 2019

Just wanted to close the loop on this thread and thank everybody who tried the plugin in early beta release.

Here is the link to the official first release announcement.

Thanks
Yan

• Information