Buy Trash2 or use DIY rack extension combos?

Discuss VST stuff here!
RustyShakleforde

29 Jan 2019

Hello,

Ive fancied Trash 2 for a while. Its in a bundle just now and im thinking about buying it. Im going to demo it just now.

I skipped it last time it was on sale and after reading the manual of it (skimming) i tried my hand at just making my own multiband distortions in reason rack. Used a splitter and various RE fx (etch red, beatcrush 12bit, distort chain, mr overdrive). I noticed i was getting a bit of latency when bouncing sounds.. but they sounded good.

Any input on DIY rack multibanding vs Trash 2 would be much appreciated..

Are there any massive downsides to making your own?

EDIT: id be spending 99 on the bundle, would i be better spending the money on some more re's to use in my own multiband creations? I do use bitwig too, so woould be nice to have a vst, but then similar DIY multiband solutions are available there too.. hmm

Thanks in advance,

All the best

Loque

29 Jan 2019

I don't see a "vs" between DIY and Trash2. They work well together and add to each other.

Trash2 in general has cool features and good quality. But somehow its workflow and tiny GUI prevents me from using it more often.

I payed only 29 and thats a acceptable price for me. A few weeks ago it was on a bundle with Iris or something for 49, which was a good price as well. Dunno which bundle you have. I never would pay 99 for it, because you can get good/better alternatives today, which may cost a few bucks more.
Reason12, Win10

RustyShakleforde

29 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
29 Jan 2019
I don't see a "vs" between DIY and Trash2. They work well together and add to each other.

Trash2 in general has cool features and good quality. But somehow its workflow and tiny GUI prevents me from using it more often.

I payed only 29 and thats a acceptable price for me. A few weeks ago it was on a bundle with Iris or something for 49, which was a good price as well. Dunno which bundle you have. I never would pay 99 for it, because you can get good/better alternatives today, which may cost a few bucks more.
Thanks for the advice. I see where you are coming from. im demoing it now as we speak. I see how you can add a lot to sounds quickly, compared to wiring everything up yourself. And it does sound really good.

Yea, i held off that 49 deal with the izotope iris synth, kicking myself now. To be honest im not too fussed about the other stuff in the bundle, its on pluginboutique. But thought as i get a bunch of stuff it takes the edge off the price haha.

I agree the GUI is pretty ugly to work in.

Do you have any take on latency etc if building your own multiband stuff in reason? Ive read around the forum, have been looking into delay comp etc, but still trying to get my head around it. Do you have a brief take on it as a practical option?

Im running a laptop by 3xs, i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz overclocked. 64GB Ram. Handles things fine to a point, but recently when making multiband combis and racks im getting delay when bouncing while not touching half cpu..

Thanks again

Loque

30 Jan 2019

I don't make that much with multiband stuff, so wiring is not an issue for me and there is always latency at some point.

I can recommend the multiband stuff from Kilohearts.

In most cases a LPF, HPF and EQ before my amp is enough, which i mix in from a parallel channel.
Reason12, Win10

plaamook

04 Feb 2019

Get Trash2, power through the crap GUI and workflow, then make the heavens shake.
Trash is so nuts I'm kinda thinking I've wasted a lot of money on almost everything else I've bought. You can go so deep into shit with Trash.

As for multiband RE's, check out Tritone Waveshaper multiband distortion. Good algorhythms and easy easy easy.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

dvdrtldg

05 Feb 2019

plaamook wrote:
04 Feb 2019
Get Trash2, power through the crap GUI and workflow, then make the heavens shake.
Trash is so nuts I'm kinda thinking I've wasted a lot of money on almost everything else I've bought. You can go so deep into shit with Trash.
Agree. Trash2 is the business, calling it "next level" doesn't even begin to tell the story. The GUI makes sense once you get used to it, it's fine. An all-time top 5 plugin

Loque

07 Feb 2019

Iris2 and Trash2 are on sale again. Both for 50, each for 28.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/deals/show?sale_id=4882
Reason12, Win10

RustyShakleforde

09 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
07 Feb 2019
Hey

Thanks for the imput guys.

Yea Loque, I seen that. Had some credit on pb so got it for £20. Happy with that. It's a great plug in. As per your original response I'll continue to use all my tools, make some combis etc, but it's nice to have it. Didn't bother with iris. Got enough synths

Thanks again guys

Loque

09 Feb 2019

RustyShakleforde wrote:
09 Feb 2019
Loque wrote:
07 Feb 2019
Hey

Thanks for the imput guys.

Yea Loque, I seen that. Had some credit on pb so got it for £20. Happy with that. It's a great plug in. As per your original response I'll continue to use all my tools, make some combis etc, but it's nice to have it. Didn't bother with iris. Got enough synths

Thanks again guys
Your welcome.

For me only Iris2 was interesting. Its a nice one, can do some interesting stuff for a bit more than 20 bucks. But it also its limitations. I could have start crying when i realized i could not modulate the sample start....sigh...And a few other things...sigh...But hey, just a bit more than 20 for a bit spectral stuff :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

• Information