Rob Papen Arps

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dustmoses

08 Feb 2019

I'm thinking about buying one of the RP rewards synths (Quad, Vecto, Predator) or Go2 largely for a new arpeggiator (they have arp CV out.)

What are the similarities and differences with the arpeggios, and which do you prefer?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

dustmoses wrote:
08 Feb 2019
I'm thinking about buying one of the RP rewards synths (Quad, Vecto, Predator) or Go2 largely for a new arpeggiator (they have arp CV out.)

What are the similarities and differences with the arpeggios, and which do you prefer?
If you’ve already got some Rob Papen products then take a look at their eXplorer 5 VST bundle. Great price and includes all the synths you just mentioned plus a load of other stuff for a fraction of the cost of all the REs.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

two shoes

08 Feb 2019

if you're choosing between the synths you mentioned and you don't mind twiddling i'd go for Predator - it can cover most of the sonic ground those others will and then some (using CV in place of X/Y or Vector modulation functionality) - i know it's been around for eons but it's still one of the most versatile synths out there imo. if you are the type that likes getting a usable sound quickly then maybe GO2 - i trialed it and didn't really find anything wrong with it, it just didn't really do anything that i don't already have multiple other options for. also in the RE version Predator is technically a "one page/panel" synth too.

two shoes

08 Feb 2019

Speaking of rewards didn't they say they were going to change out the stuff in the rewards shop frequently? It's basically been the same stuff in there since they launched it...

SynthRatings

09 Feb 2019

Come on guys, he's clearly asking about the arpeggiator only.

Quad and Vecto have identical arps, in fact they have lots of seemingly identical components.
Vecto doesn't feature unison in its synth engine though, so you get no arp unison mode there obviously.

Predator on the other hand is widely known for its arpeggiator.
You get per-step tuning, velocity, and "free" settings compared to just velocity on the other two.
Plus tie and slide controls which for those 303 lines, also missing from the others.

Go2 is one I haven`t spent a lot of time with but it seems to have the same arp features and Predator, but in a nicer interface and with some per-step chord settings that Predator lacks. So overall, I would say it wins in the arp department :puf_smile:
I publish ratings of VST and RE instruments on a dedicated YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/SynthRatings

challism

09 Feb 2019

I don't use arps that much. I can't imagine that the RP Arps are better than the Dual Arps player, though. Are they? It seems like the Dual Arp player would have way more options than any built in synth arps.

And if you have the Dual Arps, and the answer is that they are better (I honestly dont know if they are better), I would suggest getting the synth that has the most bang for the buck, which would probably be Predator, since an arp's primary job is pretty well covered by Dual Arps.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

zoidkirb

09 Feb 2019

challism wrote:
09 Feb 2019
I don't use arps that much. I can't imagine that the RP Arps are better than the Dual Arps player, though. Are they? It seems like the Dual Arp player would have way more options than any built in synth arps.

And if you have the Dual Arps, and the answer is that they are better (I honestly dont know if they are better), I would suggest getting the synth that has the most bang for the buck, which would probably be Predator, since an arp's primary job is pretty well covered by Dual Arps.
afaik, with dual arpeggio you cant write your own notes directly in like you can with something like the predator arp - youre reliant on what notes you play via midi or by notes you write in reasons sequencer.

SynthRatings

10 Feb 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
09 Feb 2019
challism wrote:
09 Feb 2019

afaik, with dual arpeggio you cant write your own notes directly in like you can with something like the predator arp - youre reliant on what notes you play via midi or by notes you write in reasons sequencer.
That's right. And with Dual Arps you can't control other parameters than velocity or program selective slides, so it doesn't cover every base.
I publish ratings of VST and RE instruments on a dedicated YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/SynthRatings

challism

10 Feb 2019

SynthRatings wrote:
10 Feb 2019
zoidkirb wrote:
09 Feb 2019

That's right. And with Dual Arps you can't control other parameters than velocity or program selective slides, so it doesn't cover every base.
Gotcha. Alright, so that's cool that RP Arps bring more to the table. Sounds like Predator or Go2 might be the best choice for OP, then.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Emian

11 Feb 2019

I'd also suggest PredatorRE or Go2 out of all RP synths.

But i also suggest taking a look at Korde, still one of my favourite rack extensions ever. Beside note and gate data, velocity, length you can also send out 2 extra CV values per note, a very cool feature !

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FEVER met Tapatalk

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

dustmoses

11 Feb 2019

Looks like predator (not huge into Go2 demo. I already trialed the rest.) Thanks.

Anyone got a list of other RE with arp out?

• Information