Blamsoft VK-2 appreciation thread

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
kinkujin

08 Feb 2019

I read on here all that I could about this synth. It became unbearable and I took the plunge and bought it (rent to own - fabulous, probably wouldn't be able to get it otherwise).

My jaw was practically on the floor playing it from the first patch. It actually surprised me how good it sounded. This is the best synth (in the retro / emulation category I'd say) that I own. Just fabulous.

Now will come the test though. Once I get through the excitement of the sound, it will be seeing how my computer will handle it. I have an aging Mac Pro from 2008. Yes, I know, time to upgrade. Surprisingly handled it well with just that synth going with one instance.

You all still using it? :-)

EdGrip

08 Feb 2019

Gosh yes.

aeox
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

Congratulations you have one of the best soft synths ever made. And yes, I use it every day!

Now, if they could only change the texture of the GUI to match the back smooth texture.. that'd be great :D

ltbrunt00

08 Feb 2019

VK-2 is amazing. This is one of my go to Synths for everything. Even if it doesn't make it into the finished song I will at least spend quite a bit of time trying to use VK-2. Sometimes I pull it out at the tail end but it is always used to get my ideas going.

If Blamsoft released a VST version I would have to buy it ASAP.

Long live VK-2.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00

08 Feb 2019

Synths like VK-2 has kept me from buying more Synths. Is Blamsoft going to make a upgrade to it especially since you can have cables on the front of a device or come out with an successor to VK-2.

Either way I am looking forward to see what they do next.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

kinkujin

08 Feb 2019

ltbrunt00 wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Synths like VK-2 has kept me from buying more Synths. Is Blamsoft going to make a upgrade to it especially since you can have cables on the front of a device or come out with an successor to VK-2.
That would be very cool. Though they'd need to redo the marketing a tad.

FLVZ

08 Feb 2019

ltbrunt00 wrote:
08 Feb 2019

Either way I am looking forward to see what they do next.
I'd argue its better off without the cable clutter; however if Blamsoft are plotting a VK3 with cable clutter...would mostly likely buy :lol:
With VK2 it got to the point where I started feeling guilty for neglecting other synths. So i've not used it for a few months and I'm getting the itch!

Reasonable man

08 Feb 2019

Does anyone use the 'lo' setting on the oscillators . Can anyone explain to me when to use this or in combination with what?
It bugs me that i can't find a use for it :?

eXode

08 Feb 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Does anyone use the 'lo' setting on the oscillators . Can anyone explain to me when to use this or in combination with what?
It's for using the oscillators as LFOs, like on the moog modular and other old VCOs. You wouldn't typically use all three oscillators in LO if you only use one instance of VK-2, but if you use several instances in a Combinator (set to mono, or modular mode) you could choose to use them for modulation. That is why there is both audio and cv outputs on the back for the oscillators.

When using VK-2 in a single instance, and in a polyphonic setting: If you have a patch that only use 2 oscillators, the 3rd could be used for modulation duties. The two LFOs in VK-2 are global, i.e. affects all voices at the same time, but when using i.e. OSC3 as a LFO it will modulate on a per voice basis.

Reasonable man

08 Feb 2019

eXode wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Reasonable man wrote:
08 Feb 2019
It's for using the oscillators as LFOs, like on the moog modular and other old VCOs. You wouldn't typically use all three oscillators in LO if you only use one instance of VK-2, but if you use several instances in a Combinator (set to mono, or modular mode) you could choose to use them for modulation. That is why there is both audio and cv outputs on the back for the oscillators.

When using VK-2 in a single instance, and in a polyphonic setting: If you have a patch that only use 2 oscillators, the 3rd could be used for modulation duties. The two LFOs in VK-2 are global, i.e. affects all voices at the same time, but when using i.e. OSC3 as a LFO it will modulate on a per voice basis.
Thanks for explaining that . Can i just ask if you use first 2 osc's for voice and the the third in 'lo' setting. Is the third oscillator modulating itself ....so to speak with its own Lfo or is it a case of ..for eg..all 3 are routed to the mixer then the 'lo' setting of the 3rd osc is modulating the firts two? thanks

Reasonable man

08 Feb 2019

Sorry ...its ok . I see now 'lo' is mainly for the osc out section on the back so it can be attached to filters etc etc on the back also. Handy.

eXode

08 Feb 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
08 Feb 2019
eXode wrote:
08 Feb 2019

Thanks for explaining that . Can i just ask if you use first 2 osc's for voice and the the third in 'lo' setting. Is the third oscillator modulating itself ....so to speak with its own Lfo or is it a case of ..for eg..all 3 are routed to the mixer then the 'lo' setting of the 3rd osc is modulating the firts two? thanks
Well, it depends on your routing. If you are using OSC3 for LFO duties you shouldn't route it to the mixer. You can make it modulate itself by routing one of it's waveform outputs back into the pitch or FM inputs.

Another thing to remember if you are using an OSC as a LFO is that it is tracking the keyboard by default, which means that it will play faster the higher up you play on the keyboard. You can disengage this by either turning the pitch input from Note to 0% or just disconnecting the Note source in the pitch input.

miscend

08 Feb 2019

U-he Diva is on sale this month. If you like VK2 you'll also like Diva.

FLVZ

08 Feb 2019

miscend wrote:
08 Feb 2019
VK2 is the :reason: I didn't buy Diva, VK2 is also the :reason: I stalled on buying Legend for like 2 years :oops:

aeox
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

miscend wrote:
08 Feb 2019
I don't see any need to buy Diva if you already own Vk-2.

challism

08 Feb 2019

I have way too many RE and VST synths. I've owned VK-2 since day one and after all this time, it is still the synth that I reach for the most often. It's usually one of the first devices I drop in a new song.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

seqoi

09 Feb 2019

VK-2 - one of the best synths i ever heard in any plugin form (and i do have a lot of plugins including everything from u-he and komplete ultimate).

I like to say one sentence about VK-2 oscillators and Filter: silky

On top of that built in FX are amazing and can be routed to be used on other instruments as well.

Jagwah

09 Feb 2019

Well my goodness I must check this VK-2 out, thanks for the thread kinkujin.

EdGrip

09 Feb 2019

Jagwah wrote:
09 Feb 2019
Well my goodness I must check this VK-2 out, thanks for the thread kinkujin.
Apart from being a synth, it's got Blamsoft levels of I/O - so you can use it as a toolkit for all manner of modular sound design experiments. Anything that's not clear in the manual, eXode is always on hand to help with on here.

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2019

EdGrip wrote:
09 Feb 2019
Blamsoft levels of I/O
:lol: :thumbs_up:

Jac459

06 Jun 2022

eXode wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Reasonable man wrote:
08 Feb 2019

Big ah-ah moment for me. I was trying to have this 'by voice modulation' like in antidote! Thanks!
Bitwig and RRP fanboy...

• Information