Which REs deserve to get more attention in your opinion?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

Some REs gets talked about a lot here and often rightfully so.
But because there's so much to choose from in the Shop now, it's easy to overlook some really good stuff.
Which REs don't get the attention they deserve in your opinion?

MannequinRaces

08 Feb 2019

Relapse Multiband Delay! Sound mangling for days. Distillery is another one that gets mentioned every so often but not enough. If you like Buffre you’ll love Distillery!

Loque

08 Feb 2019

Khs Stereo. Its free and easy and helps me to keep my stereo under control.I have a bunch more tools for that, but this is always the first and mostly the only one for that task.

Same for Khs Gain.

The more often i use a device, the higher it gets in my favorite lists and most used are always in the view of the list. Just noticed that a lot of Kilohearts stuff found there way into that area.
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

08 Feb 2019

Likewise Selig Gain gets lots of use from me. It's more than just a fader - among other things it's a handy CV shaping tool, a phase inverter and a mono checker. I have kHs Gain and I snagged Lectric Panda's AMP while it was free, so I'm well sorted for gain utilities! :D
I find myself using Reasonistas Sidechain ReAction a lot too, and that doesn't get mentioned much. It is capable of much more than I usually make it do (it's a really nice MSEG, for instance), and the patches that come with it are very educational. It's the kind of device that has no VST counterpart because of all the CV ins and outs (but still, by far the most CPU-economical way of simple sidechain ducking is the good old M-Class comp!)

diminished
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

I'm going with Rob Papen PunchBD. It sounds so good! Once you've made a few kicks you're golden, whatever subgenre of techno or house you want to dip your toes in. Sometimes it's even faster creating a kick, than looking for a suitable sample for half an hour.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

Zvork's delay. It is brutally fabulous in creating early digital reverb sounds, unique echoes, or how about putting a sound inside of a metal oil tanker. Easy to tweak and pretty cheap. Dial in a reverb add a gate and you got the perfect gated reverb from the 80's. All your dull snares now sound fabulous. Seems nobody has a clue what it can do, lol [emoji1787]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Adabler
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

Titus BBD Delay! I use it on most of my tracks. It is neat and perfect! I guess it is a little limited feature wise, but it has some cool panning options.
:reason: 12, Win10

w1pl0c

08 Feb 2019

Autotheory and Dual Arppegio

rcbuse
RE Developer

08 Feb 2019

Resonans. As far as I know its the only physical modeling RE, sounds amazing. If you dial in the impulse sample right, you have a sampler unlike any other in the rack.

two shoes

08 Feb 2019

yeah Resonans is amazing, but i hear people talking about it all the time, maybe because it just got a big update? for me Spectra and Oberon are two of the most underappreciated RE synths (other than a thread about Oberon a few days ago where i think i said the same thing).

i've only been using Reason about a year so my perspective on this may be skewed, but there's another whole group of RE instruments that i see mentioned once in a while but are some of my absolute favorites - Nostromo, ES-01, JPS Harmonic, and Re/Chamber-Tron.

i also think almost all of the Skrock synths are amazing values for $9 or $15 - they aren't trying to do everything but they tend to do what they do really well. hopefully people don't discount them just because they're so reasonably priced.

for effects / utilities there are so many good ones that i don't hear much about - the Mercury Polyphonic Arpeggiator, Carve EQ ducker (it works better than comp ducking for me in a lot of situations), AD 480 Reverb (if you like Synapse DR-1 try this too), Red Queen Dynamic EQ (it took me awhile to get comfortable with the gui but it is so worth the effort - endless creative possibilities), and Sunder Amplitude Splitter (the only plugin/effect i've ever used that does what it does), Valley People Dynamite (but i'm not buying anything else from Softube unless they bring the mk2 updates to their REs), and Step Note Recorder just went from good to great with the 2.0 update!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

I don't have it.. yet, but need to find time to trial it. CV Mutant. Say you want to assign one combinator knob, and then run multiple CV Mutants modulating several parameters in a non linear fashion from just one knob turn. Sounds like endless potential to me.

One problem is, there are many REs with almost no YouTube videos showing various/alternative uses and their potential.

I'm surprised nobody is offering this as a service to developers, doing a 10 min video showing the RE in musical context for a reasonable fee and maybe covering a few ideas in a couple of styles.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Noplan
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

MC-1

challism

08 Feb 2019

Revival

Sure it's ugly. The GUI needs a makeover, and that will probably never happen, but it's a great sounding organ/synth hybrid. I think it's worth the money just for the instrument side. But then when you consider the amazing array of FX that comes with it, which can be used on input audio signals, it easily wins my top prize for most underrated RE in the shop.

The FX are amazing. All 6 pre-amp distortion types sound great, as do the 15 cabinet emulations, including some bad ass rotary speakers. Three modeled vintage phasers, 7 modes of delay, 9 reverb, 11 filters (including wah/wah). Nice stuff!!

And they have recently reduced the price.
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... n/revival/
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

08 Feb 2019

challism wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Revival

Sure it's ugly. The GUI needs a makeover, and that will probably never happen, but it's a great sounding organ/synth hybrid. I think it's worth the money just for the instrument side. But then when you consider the amazing array of FX that comes with it, which can be used on input audio signals, it easily wins my top prize for most underrated RE in the shop.
This synth does not need more attention from us, it needs more attention from the vendor!
Reason12, Win10

challism

08 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
08 Feb 2019
challism wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Revival

This synth does not need more attention from us, it needs more attention from the vendor!
ha ha ha, fair enough!
It would be nice if they did something with it, yes.
I'm wondering why that new business bought them out if they aren't going to do anything with the REs.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Oquasec

09 Feb 2019

Jiggery pokery
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2019

I keep bringing these up all the time but it's only me so here they are again :)

Disperser
Carve
Crapre 2

Honorable mentions:

kHs Distortion
AC-1 Acoustic Clapper
Stereo Splitter
Champagne SuperNova Vintage Synthesizer

FLVZ

09 Feb 2019

I do enjoy sampling with Arkana, and trying to see how far I can push a sound

dvdrtldg

09 Feb 2019

Shape LFO
Little LFO
Revival
All the G Force instruments
Quadelectra Stereo Splitter
AD480 reverb
Renoun reverb

jayhosking

10 Feb 2019

I know its function overlaps with many, many other synths, but Red Rock's Red70 (https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... nthesizer/) just has something special to it, for me, in its oscillators and filter.

SynthRatings

10 Feb 2019

Two rather useful synths that seem to get close to no attention at all are:

FXPansion Tres
kHs ONE
I publish ratings of VST and RE instruments on a dedicated YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/SynthRatings

FGL

10 Feb 2019

My 5 cents with absoluteness claim:

Mutate: One Bit Converter, this is really a hidden gem. You can do something different with each instrument.

Stutter: It seems, because of the good value for money, not to have gotten quite a bit, but "Murder rhythm Cutter" is now the best device for stuttering effects.

Noise: Phonetic Vintage Phone Simulator.

Bit Crushing: The two devices from Decimort are unbeatable.

Digital Clipping: GClip Wavshaping Clipper. Unlike any other compression.

Reverb/Delay: It's all in the box. For some madness: Neutron Particel Emitter, and Quadelectra Triple Line Filter Delay.

Mastering: Quadelectra stereo splitter is the best and simplest device for finely adjusting the end signal. Also good: VAC-6 volume analyzer, but is luxury.

CV: "Kron CV Toolbox" That has everything and more what you need for CV, makes most other devices in the shop superfluous. (CV mutant, etc.)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

Retouch Control NoteSet and ChordSet.
Been playing with these in combis with matrixes and Chords and Scales and spiders and other stuff added. Absolutely love them.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

m.arthur

10 Feb 2019

propellerhead's own ROTOR RE is, no joke, the best sounding and easiest to use rotary speaker emulation I've used, and I've tried all kinds of VSTs of this type of effect. I tend to be very disappointed by them. Not ROTOR though, I can get creamy smooth vibe-filled rotary sounds just dropping it in. And, -crucially-, the distortion / overdrive sounds really great and is very 'playable', so to speak.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

m.arthur wrote:
10 Feb 2019
propellerhead's own ROTOR RE is, no joke, the best sounding and easiest to use rotary speaker emulation I've used, and I've tried all kinds of VSTs of this type of effect. I tend to be very disappointed by them. Not ROTOR though, I can get creamy smooth vibe-filled rotary sounds just dropping it in. And, -crucially-, the distortion / overdrive sounds really great and is very 'playable', so to speak.
Glad you like it. Totally honestly though...I don’t. Selig’s B3-Leslie Refill however is pure magic. Giles really knows his Rotaries. Really worth trying if you get the chance. Plus a whole load of organs in there as well :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information