Reason Drum Kits RE in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

08 Feb 2019

Just realized i have those refills :-D Should look more often what refills and samples i own :-)
Reason12, Win10

SoulState

08 Feb 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Feb 2019
MrFigg wrote:
08 Feb 2019

Don’t think you’ll get it cheaper than the €38 it costs just Now using the duscount code man.
I just did. But it says in the email from Propellerhead:
"If you already own the Reason Drum Kits ReFill, upgrade with voucher code to save over 60% on the new Rack Extension version."
But the thing is, I don't have the Reason Drum Kits ReFill. Apparently it worked anyway. Weird, but I'm not complaining.

Like I said earlier...Its really a discount for all Reason users, wether you own original RDK or not!
(until april)
:reason:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Feb 2019
MrFigg wrote:
08 Feb 2019

Don’t think you’ll get it cheaper than the €38 it costs just Now using the duscount code man.
I just did. But it says in the email from Propellerhead:
"If you already own the Reason Drum Kits ReFill, upgrade with voucher code to save over 60% on the new Rack Extension version."
But the thing is, I don't have the Reason Drum Kits ReFill. Apparently it worked anyway. Weird, but I'm not complaining.
Ha ha ha. So QVProd was wrong about you :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Wobbleburger

08 Feb 2019

I have Addictive Drums 2 - is this similar? I can't afford all of their expansion packs!!

I'm on the fence about buying this- I prefer RE's to VST's tho!
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

QVprod

08 Feb 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
08 Feb 2019
I have Addictive Drums 2 - is this similar? I can't afford all of their expansion packs!!

Yes it's the same concept as Addictive Drums. You may not need it unless you feel you need more drum options. Try the demo

boingy

08 Feb 2019

As an owner of the refill I briefly got excited by this. Then I noticed that it needs R10.1 and I'm on R9.5.
Ah well, I'm already snowed under with too many drum options I guess.

And the reason I'm still on 9.5 is that 10 does not bring me anything I need except multi-lane midi editing and that is not worth the upgrade price. I know Reason started out as a synth rack but I really can't get excited by yet another synth that I won't really understand. So I'm hoping for R11 soon complete with a special upgrade offer...

guitfnky

08 Feb 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
08 Feb 2019

similar. AD2 has better sound quality and more sound sculpting capabilities built in. but it’s not such a huge difference that you won’t get excellent results from both. I’d give the edge to AD2 specifically when it comes to low-velocity snare rolls, and quality of the cymbal samples.

as for the AD2 expansions, you don’t need them all...like I mentioned, the sound shaping available in AD2 is pretty extensive, so you’ve got a lot of flexibility before even considering needing additional sample packs. I have I think two expansions, and for me, at least, there’s more than enough to keep me from feeling like I’m missing out on other sounds.

but yeah, if you prefer REs, I’d say try it, grab the discount code and go for it!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

hurricane
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

If you prefer REs then get this because there is currently no RE that approaches the quality of everything in Addictive Drums 2.

If you are not challenged by using VSTs and want the better instrument with the better sounding drums, then get Addictive Drums 2.

If you have the refill version of RDK like I do, and you never use it because you later purchased AD (like I did), and realized that AD1/2 blows RDK away in every aspect, then don't even bother with the "new" RDK RE because you'll engage in this game of A/Bing between RDK and AD, and you will pick AD every single time, and there goes $40 bucks down the drain.

If you get RDK, you're eventually going to want something better, and your path will lead directly to Addictive Drums.

When they re-release Reason Pianos in a RE, we'll have this same conversation again. I don't use Reason Pianos anymore, because, read everything I just said but replace "RDK" with "RP" and drums" with "pianos" and "Addictive Drums" with "Pianoteq".

No wait let me just get this out of the way now.

If you prefer REs then get this because there is currently no RE that approaches the quality of everything in Pianoteq.

If you are not challenged by using VSTs and want the better instrument with the better sounding pianos, then get Pianoteq.

If you have the refill version of RP like I do, and you never use it because you later purchased Pianoteq (like I did), and realized that Pianoteq blows away RP in every aspect, then don't even bother with the "new" RP RE because you'll engage in this game of A/Bing between RP and Pianoteq, and you will pick Pianoteq every single time, and there goes $40 bucks down the drain.

If you get RP, you're eventually going to want something better, and your path will lead directly to Pianoteq.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Sargie

08 Feb 2019

Thank you Propellerhead for the generous discount on such a useful RE. Much appreciated.

Reasonable man

08 Feb 2019

diminished wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Okay uhm, I have all the A-Lists and the RDK and I am wondering: what's the point. How would you convince me to buy this thing, if ease of use doesn't count for me?
Its quick in Re format..i mean really quick and you dont have to go in and do alot of tweaking to the compression and line mixer send effects like in refill format (which were pre-set when loading a patch).
Setting the older refill drum kits onto seperate mix channels was murder and you lost the reverb/distorion,delay effects that went with em casue they were set up on the line mixer and you had to delete em to copy and paste the seperate mix chaneels into a new project. Here you just do it from the line outs on the back of the rack.
General midi mapped so finger drumming is painless (but so were the origianls ..tbf!)
Alot more incredibly usefull pre-programmed midi files to choose from.

But it depends on wheather you want to splash out on the extra £30 for this kinda time-saving or wheather you really need em that much for the music you write in the first place . For me you dont have to worry about Reason browser not finding your refill files and not sure if you even need to worry about self containing samples etc in the Re format either.

On a seperate note .I am a huge fan of the samples in general . These samples were recorded on to Dat tape( according to the original documentation) and to me you can really here the 'warmth' in their sound.

djs

08 Feb 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
08 Feb 2019
from the manual:
"Roland Kit
This layout corresponds to the MIDI note numbers sent by many electronic drum kits made by Roland."

That makes this an insta-buy for me. I have a bunch of legacy projects from the 1990s that have been challenging to bring into Reason because my drum parts, originally via Roland TD-7, were not a perfect match. I'm currently in the midst of working around those issues in another remix of all that old stuff, so this is very timely!
This is great news. So recording midi directly from a Roland electronic drum set will be compatible with Reason?

Catblack

08 Feb 2019

How does this pair up with the Drum Sequencer RE? Are the mappings for this similar to the ones for the Umphf series?
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

Catblack wrote:
08 Feb 2019
How does this pair up with the Drum Sequencer RE? Are the mappings for this similar to the ones for the Umphf series?
I had to muck about a bit with the notes in Drum Sequencer to trigger the drums I wanted. The two pair up really well though. I’m really, really glad I went ahead and bought RDK actually.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

djs

08 Feb 2019

Catblack wrote:
08 Feb 2019
I matches up according to the drum hits- bass, snare, hi hat, etc.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

djs wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Catblack wrote:
08 Feb 2019
I matches up according to the drum hits- bass, snare, hi hat, etc.
Does it? 🤔
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Reasonable man

08 Feb 2019

Catblack wrote:
08 Feb 2019
nah these are general midi over 3/4 octaves so to get the full range you need to stack maybe 4 (possibly) 5 drum sequencers on top of it which means you'd have to automate muliple patterns on all drum sequncers to keep em in sync or lump them all into a combi and use Poobear's thor curve metod of syncing pattern changes.

I guess you could also use muliple instanes of the Re (each with its own drum sequencer) to get the entire range in

diminished
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

Thanks to all of you for responding to my question! I opened up my RDK again, tested the demo, played around a bit and I concur now, an update in form of a RE is a huge improvement. No wonder why I'm turning towards A-List 99% of the time instead of RDK.
The best thing about this RE thing are imho these many MIDI files. There's also the reverb management as was mentioned, a transient shaping option and, low and behold, keys that can softly mute crashes and hats, as if a hand was stopping them from vibrating. Very easy to find out how with the bottom keyboard display.
Reasonable man wrote:
08 Feb 2019

On a seperate note .I am a huge fan of the samples in general . These samples were recorded on to Dat tape( according to the original documentation) and to me you can really here the 'warmth' in their sound.
I have to be that guy, there is nothing analog sounding about DAT, it's just an analog way of storing digital information :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

jayhosking

08 Feb 2019

SoulState wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Magnus wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Are the MIDI files included in this RE the same ones from the RDK ReFill or are they all new beats?
Oh, can answer this one...There's loads LOADS more midi files!
This makes it very appealing.

guitfnky

08 Feb 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Catblack wrote:
08 Feb 2019
nah these are general midi over 3/4 octaves so to get the full range you need to stack maybe 4 (possibly) 5 drum sequencers on top of it which means you'd have to automate muliple patterns on all drum sequncers to keep em in sync or lump them all into a combi and use Poobear's thor curve metod of syncing pattern changes.

I guess you could also use muliple instanes of the Re (each with its own drum sequencer) to get the entire range in
yeah, if you wanted to use every articulation with Drum Sequencer, you would need a bunch of them. but in my experience, the basic articulations and kitpieces are more than enough 99% of the time. I would use the sequencer for the basic beat generation and if I need to reach for another articulation, like a rimshot or choke, put that in the actual sequencer. but it’s really personal preference and workflow.

Magnus

08 Feb 2019

SoulState wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Magnus wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Are the MIDI files included in this RE the same ones from the RDK ReFill or are they all new beats?
Oh, can answer this one...There's loads LOADS more midi files!
I've just done a proper comparison and it looks like it's the same MIDI content as the RDK, but split out into component files. i.e. 105 Buffalo Gals.mid in RDK contains 3 loops and 3 fills all in a single MIDI file. That one file has been split out in the RE so it's now over 6 different files thus we have 105 Buffalo Gals 1(to 3).mid files and 105 Buffalo Gals Fill 1 (to 3).mid files but inside is still the same programmed data as before.

Regardless, this new RE is still a nicer way to interact with the samples than the ReFill version; but it does look like it has zero new content besides nice new graphics and built-in FX! :)

guitfnky

08 Feb 2019

couple of interesting details...if you open the Drum Settings label and click the ‘i’ next to the kitpiece sample name, you can see some interesting info on what it is and how it was recorded. when you’re looking at the kit, clicking the different kitpieces will demo the different sounds.

I see some people mentioned the way the keys are mapped...if you open Drum Settings (gear icon), you can choose from four different mappings. one thing that would have been nice is if they would’ve made it so the keys/pads on the keymaps lit up when you hit that key on the keyboard or drum pads. really interesting that there are velocity and pitch randomization settings.

yeah, I’m sure that’s all in the manual, but I think it’s a demonstration that they’re putting some thought into these, rather than just throwing a bunch of samples into a new skin and selling it. that accusation seems to get tossed around way too frequently, lately.

Reasonable man

08 Feb 2019

diminished wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Thanks to all of you for responding to my question! I opened up my RDK again, tested the demo, played around a bit and I concur now, an update in form of a RE is a huge improvement. No wonder why I'm turning towards A-List 99% of the time instead of RDK.
The best thing about this RE thing are imho these many MIDI files. There's also the reverb management as was mentioned, a transient shaping option and, low and behold, keys that can softly mute crashes and hats, as if a hand was stopping them from vibrating. Very easy to find out how with the bottom keyboard display.
I have to be that guy, there is nothing analog sounding about DAT, it's just an analog way of storing digital information :)

[/quote]

Apologies i didn't mean DAT Sorry . I meat Analogue.

Anyway this is the info from the document, if anyone needs confirmation

'The instruments were captured using tried and true microphones such as Shure SM57 and AKG 414, along with various classic Neumann models. The signals were fed through a Class A Neve 32/8/32 console directly onto a Studer B67 2” analog tape machine. No processing was applied, except in a few rare in- stances where we used an Urei 1176 compressor. The analog recordings were transferred to a ProTools HD system at 176.4 kHz, 24-bit.'

gullum

08 Feb 2019

I have the a-list drums and Umphf but this just has so much control over all individual drums I will get it before the end of April, maybe even before the end of this month. it makes my wich I did not sell my e-drums

jjkjjk

08 Feb 2019

Can I trigger these with my Nord Drum 3p?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2019

You think they might add new sets to this RE in the future?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information