Reason Drum Kits RE in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
guitfnky

08 Feb 2019

diminished wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Zac wrote:
08 Feb 2019

Seems like you've already decided you don't need it.

For me, if i ever needed someone to convince me to buy something, I would worry about my self awareness and character.

Edit.. sorry, that's a bit harsh. If you're not sure, try it. That's what I'm going to do.
I'm not asking to actually convince me, I was asking how would you do it. A.k.a. are there any reasons and features at all besides ease of use.
ease of use is probably the biggest factor, but aside from that, there’s also the fact that all of the ancillary processing stuff (like reverb, distortion, etc.) is integrated now. and it all sounds great, as expected. not sure if the processing stuff is a 1:1 match to the original (I’m guessing not, since it would basically mean building, say, the RV7000 into the RE).

it’s another side of the same coin, I guess, but not having to worry about signal flow between devices is a big plus, and only having one device instead of many is another. if you have the original RDK, you can always use that too, if you need access to all the individual devices.

I think it’ll come down to preference and whatever process flow you like. for me, this will be awesome for quick and dirty (and mangled) drum work. if I need something more full-featured, and pristine, I can grab Addictive Drums.

gotta say though, on the whole, this is a pretty excellent device. and the promo offer for existing RDK owners is a really good deal.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

chimp_spanner

08 Feb 2019

How do I access the promo for being an existing RDK owner? But yeah overall I like this! The only thing I'd really like is for the kick drum to be on B and C. Don't know if that can be changed in an update or something?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

supersplaron wrote:
08 Feb 2019
MrFigg wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Why is the product manual link giving a “403 Forbidden” message?

Edit: found another link.
https://a.phcdn.se/static-live/pdf/oper ... 8ae6fc.pdf
We're on it! In the meantime, you can grab the manual here:

https://a.phcdn.se/static-live/pdf/oper ... 8ae6fc.pdf
Thanks. Yeah! Found it myself :). Don’t know why I’m worried really...never read a manual in my life ha ha :):):).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 Feb 2019
How do I access the promo for being an existing RDK owner? But yeah overall I like this! The only thing I'd really like is for the kick drum to be on B and C. Don't know if that can be changed in an update or something?
Just enter the code RDKSAVE at checkout and you’ll get the discount.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

08 Feb 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 Feb 2019
https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/ret ... -drum-kits

the promo code is in there. just apply at checkout and you’re golden. :)

ScuzzyEye

08 Feb 2019

Nice. I still often used both the Bass and Drum ReFills. Now I have both replaced with REs. In fact, I have a song I'm working on now that uses the Drum ReFill, so I'll swap in the RE this weekend. :)

KarmaFunkarma

08 Feb 2019

So happy to hear that the kits sound just like the NNXT versions from the original RDK refill. The Quest kit is SO tight and funky... a long time favorite. This is a great RE and the discount for existing RDK owners is very much appreciated. Great job, Props.

esselfortium

08 Feb 2019

Nice! The audio-cable spaghetti was always the biggest drawback of RDK, having to trace the various signals around through different outputs and splitters/mergers and inputs in order to get full control over the sound, so I'm happy to see it getting a refresh like this with an interface that does a much better job of exposing all its functionality.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

blackymeow

08 Feb 2019

Hello, sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm kind of new here.

I just saw that I can get this with a 60% discount, so I was wondering what this RE brings in comparison to Kong Drum Designer (for example) or other basic Reason instruments.

It kind of looks like the same thing with a different layout...

QVprod

08 Feb 2019

blackymeow wrote:
08 Feb 2019

I just saw that I can get this with a 60% discount, so I was wondering what this RE brings in comparison to Kong Drum Designer (for example) or other basic Reason instruments.

It's not the same as Kong at all. It has samples of real drumkits and doesn't load external samples. There are no stock Reason instruments that compare with this RE.

KirkMarkarian

08 Feb 2019

This looks and sounds great, and if you're having to come up with quick commercial music, I would imagine this would just save a TON of time. Sounds great right out of the box. Just provide a beat and off you go.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

Well...I tried, I liked it, I bought it. Fantastic :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

08 Feb 2019

blackymeow wrote:
08 Feb 2019

This is basically an acoustic drum sample set provided with a useful Rack Extension Instrument interface for ease if use.

SoulState

08 Feb 2019

blackymeow wrote:
08 Feb 2019

Aside from the Mic placement control you get with RDK. I'd say you've got a good point! They are similar. You could argue Kong has the edge when it comes to versatility e.g. you can bring in your own drum sounds.
Having said that, I like the layout and ease-of-use that RDK provides...I'll be getting this one [RDK] before the discount offer ends.
Last edited by SoulState on 08 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Adabler
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

Origin story.
Last edited by Adabler on 08 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: 12, Win10

rgdaniel

08 Feb 2019

from the manual:
"Roland Kit
This layout corresponds to the MIDI note numbers sent by many electronic drum kits made by Roland."

That makes this an insta-buy for me. I have a bunch of legacy projects from the 1990s that have been challenging to bring into Reason because my drum parts, originally via Roland TD-7, were not a perfect match. I'm currently in the midst of working around those issues in another remix of all that old stuff, so this is very timely!

guitfnky

08 Feb 2019

blackymeow wrote:
08 Feb 2019

perhaps the most important difference is the multisampled nature of RDK. while many (maybe most) Kong kits rely on single samples which play the same sample at different volumes depending on velocity, RDK and other multisampled instruments will play different samples at different velocities. for example, if you hit the snare key at a velocity of 30, it’ll play a sample where the drummer hit the snare lightly—if it’s at a velocity of 127, the hardest snare samples will play.

and that brings us to another important feature...even if all of the hits are at the same velocity, RDK will cycle through different samples at the same loudness level. this is important because it avoids the “machine gun” effect you can get when doing fast-repeating strikes of the same kitpiece. generally not desirable for acoustic/realistic drums.

SoulState

08 Feb 2019

guitfnky wrote:
08 Feb 2019

perhaps the most important difference is the multisampled nature of RDK. while many (maybe most) Kong kits rely on single samples which play the same sample at different volumes depending on velocity, RDK and other multisampled instruments will play different samples at different velocities. for example, if you hit the snare key at a velocity of 30, it’ll play a sample where the drummer hit the snare lightly—if it’s at a velocity of 127, the hardest snare samples will play.

and that brings us to another important feature...even if all of the hits are at the same velocity, RDK will cycle through different samples at the same loudness level. this is important because it avoids the “machine gun” effect you can get when doing fast-repeating strikes of the same kitpiece. generally not desirable for acoustic/realistic drums.
Good point :thumbs_up:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

I could see myself buying this. But I'll definitely wait for a sale, or wait for it to be included in the reward system. Maybe I'll finally be able to make use of my reward points. That would be great.
We all know the price is gonna be cut in half pretty soon, or be included in Reason 12. :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Feb 2019
I could see myself buying this. But I'll definitely wait for a sale, or wait for it to be included in the reward system. Maybe I'll finally be able to make use of my reward points. That would be great.
We all know the price is gonna be cut in half pretty soon, or be included in Reason 12. :)
Don’t think you’ll get it cheaper than the €38 it costs just Now using the duscount code man.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

QVprod

08 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
08 Feb 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Don’t think you’ll get it cheaper than the €38 it costs just Now using the duscount code man.
Let the man be honest! :lol:

Magnus

08 Feb 2019

Are the MIDI files included in this RE the same ones from the RDK ReFill or are they all new beats?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

QVprod wrote:
08 Feb 2019

Let the man be honest! :lol:
Haha. Yeah...I guess someone has got to be :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

SoulState

08 Feb 2019

Magnus wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Are the MIDI files included in this RE the same ones from the RDK ReFill or are they all new beats?
Oh, can answer this one...There's loads LOADS more midi files!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
08 Feb 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Feb 2019
I just did. But it says in the email from Propellerhead:
"If you already own the Reason Drum Kits ReFill, upgrade with voucher code to save over 60% on the new Rack Extension version."
But the thing is, I don't have the Reason Drum Kits ReFill. Apparently it worked anyway. Weird, but I'm not complaining.

• Information