Stupid Swedish Winter

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

I hate the stupid Swedish winter. 7 months of snow. But the snow isn’t the biggest problem. It’s how dry the air gets. I’ve lost two Gibson guitars to shrinking and expanding wood. I looked now at my Fender and the fret board has shrunk so much that the frets are sticking out and cut my fingers. I’ve had my Guild wrapped up in a hard case every winter for the past 12 years with a sponge in the sound hole which I need to dampen twice a week just to hold the air humidity at an acceptable level. So there you have it. Swedish winter. Not good for wooden instruments. Mäh!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

benjified

07 Feb 2019

Damn that's rough. I hate Ontario, Canada winter. Today freezing rain, temperature rising to plus 7 Celsius then plunge down to minus 11. Snow forecast in a few days. Here's hoping for an early Spring.

rgdaniel

07 Feb 2019

benjified wrote:
07 Feb 2019
Damn that's rough. I hate Ontario, Canada winter. Today freezing rain, temperature rising to plus 7 Celsius then plunge down to minus 11. Snow forecast in a few days. Here's hoping for an early Spring.
Feeling your pain from Owen Sound, Ontario.... wishing it would just stay below freezing 'til spring... this freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw stuff is a pain...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

-28 here yesterday.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

07 Feb 2019

Yeah the freeze thaw things rough. I remember it from when I lived in a place that has winter.
I love snow and I miss it terribly. So whenever you think the snow is a pain in the ass, consider living in England where you might get snow if you're lucky but mostly we get weather that's just enough above freezing to maintain grey skies and mud. I live in a mud pit now but I grew up near New York. Feckin cold winters. Lots of snow. Back then anyway.
I joke with my daughter about how we could go build a mud man ('in the medow we could build a mud man' I sing, and so on)
So we don't get dry, we get damp. Very damp. And mud.
Not sure what that does to a guitar. I don't play guitars.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

I’m from Scotland originally. Doesn’t get damper than that. 362 days of rain a year. 3 days of sunshine and we call that Summer. Even makes the front page of the newspapers when it arrives.
Guitars love it by the way.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Adabler
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

As Norwegian person I find this thread very Australian.
:reason: 12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

Adabler wrote:
07 Feb 2019
As Norwegian person I find this thread very Australian.
Can you please elaborate on that statement?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Adabler
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
07 Feb 2019
Yes! This winter has been pretty fantastic! Lots of snow, mostly stable temps below freezing point and many many beautiful sunsets! I think winter by far is the prettiest season as long as it doesn't just act like an extension of autumn with lots of rain, wind and no snow.

The Australia reference may be an in-joke. Disregard that. :)
Last edited by Adabler on 07 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

Adabler wrote:
07 Feb 2019
MrFigg wrote:
07 Feb 2019
Yes! This winter has been pretty fantastic! Lots of snow, mostly stable temps below freezing point and many many beautiful sunsets! I think winter by far is the prettiest season as long as it doesn't just act like an extension of autumn wind a lots of rain, wind and no snow.

Ha ha :). Yeah ok...winter is nice to look at. Unfortunately it’s made my guitars not nice to look at. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Adabler
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
07 Feb 2019
Ha ha :). Yeah ok...winter is nice to look at. Unfortunately it’s made my guitars not nice to look at. :).
Maybe you could by a huge humidor of sorts? Seems to be cheaper in the long run?

bitley

07 Feb 2019

You swedish mr Figg! :D Yes, I absolutely hate it.

motuscott

07 Feb 2019

A List Acoustic Guitarist ripping the fuque out of my fingers.
Damned NYC dry heat radiators
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

jappe

07 Feb 2019

Welcome to the southern part of Sweden to enjoy the "winter".
Terrible freezing wind, with just a little bit of snow causing chaos on the roads.
Next day the snow has melted and were left in a depressing post-apocalyptish swamp.

At least you northerners can go skiing!
I'd love to have your Narnia-winter.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

jappe wrote:
07 Feb 2019
Terrible freezing wind, with just a little bit of snow causing chaos on the roads.
Next day the snow has melted and were left in a depressing post-apocalyptish swamp.

Yeah. I guess I’ve got it better here than I had in Glasgow. 1cm snow and all the schools and airports close down ha ha ha.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

07 Feb 2019

I want a Narnia Winter Toooooo!!!!!!

Or here.

plaamook

07 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
07 Feb 2019
jappe wrote:
07 Feb 2019

Yeah. I guess I’ve got it better here than I had in Glasgow. 1cm snow and all the schools and airports close down ha ha ha.
Yeah I spent time in the arctic in Norway few years back. It snowed there like it rains in Wales. They had these moster truck ploughs that ran round the island day and night. Saw 2m snow fall in about 10 days. So much awesome I almost couldn't handle it. Freaked out, wrote an album too

Point being , i then went back to UK and people don't even own a shovel!

Or here.

Oquasec

07 Feb 2019

I like swedish weather, go figure
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

demt

08 Feb 2019

you can plan months ahead unlike london and its ever changing short term weather ,the next half hour aint sure
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

jappe

08 Feb 2019

demt wrote:
08 Feb 2019
you can plan months ahead unlike london and its ever changing short term weather ,the next half hour aint sure
I may sound like a Yorkshireman, but lucky you!
Here in Sweden, the meteorologists are sometimes not even capable of accurately telling how the weather was🙂

Thank God for the Danish Meteorological Institute.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

jappe wrote:
08 Feb 2019
demt wrote:
08 Feb 2019
I may sound like a Yorkshireman, but lucky you!
Here in Sweden, the meteorologists are sometimes not even capable of accurately telling how the weather was🙂

Thank God for the Danish Meteorological Institute.
Jupp. Day to day. Minus 20. Plus 5. Snow. Snow melts. Sun. Snow. Snow. More snow. Spring weather. Winter weather. Ice. Snow on ice. Broken arm. Maaaaan!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

08 Feb 2019

Adabler wrote:
07 Feb 2019
MrFigg wrote:
07 Feb 2019
Yes! This winter has been pretty fantastic! Lots of snow, mostly stable temps below freezing point and many many beautiful sunsets! I think winter by far is the prettiest season as long as it doesn't just act like an extension of autumn with lots of rain, wind and no snow.

Looking at you from the west... With a bit of jealousy. It barely snowed for like a week. Can't complain on the sunsets though.

gullum

09 Feb 2019

I'm from the Faroe Islands here it's snow, rain or storms. All you need is like 2 sets of rain clothes, 2 sets of winter clothes and 1 short and 1 t-shirt for that summer day.

made this video last weekend but weather is still the same
Last edited by gullum on 10 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.

kuhliloach

09 Feb 2019

For what it's worth I can hardly muster the words to describe how amazing the Epiphones and Squiers are. In some cases I prefer them to their more expensive cousins. Perhaps one of these would work out better in that situation.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2019

Hey, we suffer too. We just had 3mm of snow in N California. For one day, but it is gone now...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information