O**s! An internet error occurred.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Namyo85

03 Feb 2019

I'm convinced lately there's only one person writing all the error messages across the entire Internet, almost all the ones I've come across the last few months start with the word 'Oops!' I'm going to censor further instances of this word, cause I'm tired of it now. It is a recent occurrance, I don't remember seeing it so much in the past.
Why is this word being used at the start of error messages? Why does whoever is writing these messages think it's a good idea?

Examples:
o***! the password didn't match
o***! an error occurred
o***! something went wrong

I've seen these type of messages so far on Ebay, Google, Wordpress and Facebook
A search reveals the following also use it. Microsoft Xbox, Dropbox, Tomtom, Spotify, and some company called Plaxo, I'm there sure there'll be more if I dig deeper.

I'm already annoyed when the error occurs in the first place without seeing that stupid word appearing, it winds me up further. I'd rather a more solemn message such as 'password mismatch, please try again' or 'error on page' or 'sorry there was a problem', not these o**s! phrases, they really get on my nerves. I came across an article which suggested the proliferation of 'o***!' originated from a Linux error message, however the article was vague. I'm aware it also stands for Object Oriented Production System, however none of this explains why the annoying use of this word is spreading across the Internet's error messages so prolifically. :?:

jam-s

03 Feb 2019

My theory: hipster web devs.

motuscott

03 Feb 2019

First we kill all the lawyers, then the hipster web devs
after that, I'm sure shit will work itself out
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Zac

03 Feb 2019

Namyo85 wrote:
03 Feb 2019
I'm convinced lately there's only one person writing all the error messages across the entire Internet, almost all the ones I've come across the last few months start with the word 'Oops!' I'm going to censor further instances of this word, cause I'm tired of it now. It is a recent occurrance, I don't remember seeing it so much in the past.
Why is this word being used at the start of error messages? Why does whoever is writing these messages think it's a good idea?

Examples:
o***! an error occurred

A search reveals the following also use it. Microsoft Xbox, Dropbox, Tomtom, Spotify, and some company called Plaxo, I'm there sure there'll be more if I dig deeper.

I'm already annoyed when the error occurs in the first place without seeing that stupid word appearing, it winds me up further. I'd rather a more solemn message such as 'password mismatch, please try again' or 'error on page' or 'sorry there was a problem', not these o**s! phrases, they really get on my nerves. I came across an article which suggested the proliferation of 'o***!' originated from a Linux error message, however the article was vague. I'm aware it also stands for Object Oriented Production System, however none of this explains why the annoying use of this word is spreading across the Internet's error messages so prolifically. :?:
Oops! ... an error occurred in your time allocation prioritisation

demt

03 Feb 2019

yup
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Ostermilk

03 Feb 2019

I've run into a few "Bad Arguments" in my time.

eusti

03 Feb 2019

Zac wrote:
03 Feb 2019
Namyo85 wrote:
03 Feb 2019

Examples:
o***! an error occurred

Oops! ... an error occurred in your time allocation prioritisation
That was hilarious!!! :) Thanks, needed that today!

D.

Namyo85

04 Feb 2019

These hipster web devs have no excuse. :)

Loque

04 Feb 2019

Oops! They did it again....

I should make a song of it. Oh snap! Too late...
Reason12, Win10

gullum

05 Feb 2019

my theory is that there is nothing wrong with your internet, but it's some of your friends or family members who are doing it because they think you spend to much time online

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

05 Feb 2019

Yeah, the "oops" stuff is naff, but... ;)

Way more problematic is the dual epidemic of having to click "accept/reject cookies" and close goddamn fucking newsletter subscription popups, and these are often goddamn full-window jobs that can't be simply ignored, and thus require interaction every damn time.

What makes this trebley annoying—because of course cookies are there to "enhance your website experience"!!—is that even if you do accept cookies, it makes no difference to the status of the subscription popup if you choose cancel. While I've never subbed, I've read multiple comments that even actually subscribing to a newsletter still doesn't affect the popup and you'll just get asked to subscribe to a newsletter you're already subscribed to.

Do these webshite dickheads really think people want to subscribe to a newsletter for every fucking site they visit? I don't need a fucking newsletter: I visit your fucking site every fucking day to read your fucking news, so fuck off with your fucking pop-ups. :evil:

<\language, Timothy!>

("Sorry, father!")

I don't think I've ever noticed a difference in accepting cookies either. User-made uBlock rules on certain elements can sometimes prevent subsequent subs popups if it's not full window, but often trying to block those that are full window results in blocking the entire window (e.g., even scroll bars), rendering the web site unusable, so one invariably has to go in and delete the rule...

I'd argue it's now as bad as the early 00s, that era before browser window pop-up blockers, where any half dodgy site would open twenty new windows when you closed it, and the bane of Flash overlay ads.

Loque

05 Feb 2019

Sigh... Yea...
Reason12, Win10

Namyo85

06 Feb 2019

Guess what, today I found out Gumtree uses it! 'O**s... The page you are looking for has expired.' Why not 'sorry, the page you are looking for has expired, or perhaps just do away with the o**s word altogether! I'm sick of seeing these messages now. There can only be one person writing these messages, otherwise how / why would they all think to do that? @JiggeryPokery, I can relate to what you say, I assume you have adblock+ however if you search for 'i dont care about cookies' you'll find browser extensions that stop those new eu cookie pop up questions, I don't know if they stop subscription popups though.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

06 Feb 2019

Namyo85 wrote:
06 Feb 2019
I can relate to what you say, I assume you have adblock+ however if you search for 'i dont care about cookies' you'll find browser extensions that stop those new eu cookie pop up questions, I don't know if they stop subscription popups though.
Heh, yeah, belt and braces and another belt! :D

(uBlock, Ghostery and Adblock ... I did run NoScript until recently, but frankly I find it more trouble than it's worth trying to figure out which single script I need to allow from a list of 100 it shows on a page in order for that damn page to render correctly)

Certainly none of those seem to have a reliable way of nuking newsletter shite.

Not aware of dedicated cookie nukes, though; thanks for the tip. :twisted:

jam-s

06 Feb 2019

Also, do not underestimate its ugly cousin the "whoops, ...".

Namyo85

24 Feb 2019

Discovered today that TomsHardware has the same annoyance: 'O**s! We ran into some problems'. Also it's starting to come into the real world. The other day I saw a recycle bin with a card attached to it with a cartoon depiction of a bin man saying 'o**ps' within a speech bubble then something about the bin having the wrong items in it. There's so much wrong with that if you think about it. For a start it isn't the bin mans fault so why is he saying that as if he's messed up. Well he hasn't, it's the fault of who uses the bin. it looks to me like it's an excuse to get this annoyance into the real world. I'm getting fed up of seeing this. This 'o**ps' thing is being deliberately pushed... why?

Soft Enerji

14 Mar 2019

Maybe you just need to get out more........ Ooops!

Namyo85

19 Mar 2019

Soft Enerji wrote:
14 Mar 2019
Maybe you just need to get out more.....
You'd be surprised how often I get out to get away from these annoyances. Found loads more since. I'm thinking of compiling a list. In the meantime here's another one I discovered today: https://www.zendesk.co.uk/help-center-closed/

Namyo85

21 Mar 2019

Why am I not surprised.
reason_error.png
reason_error.png (12.1 KiB) Viewed 921 times
:(

• Information