Will there ever be a Time-Stretch Sampler?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
KirkMarkarian

06 Feb 2019

Every once in a while, I'll record myself drumming, then tidy it up in the audio lane by adjusting the slices. For fun, I'll stretch out a hi-hat, or a snare, and just fall in love with the weird sound it has turned into.

I'm hoping for one day to have a rack sampler or an actual RE effect that would provide me with that initial "computing" sound of the time stretch or something like that. Preferably an RE effect, so I could just run my sounds through it. Talk about glitching fun!

Yeah, Distillery has this effect, kind of. It's nothing like the beautiful sounds that slice adjustment in the sequencer lanes sounds like. I kind of hope for a dream glitch machine that has:

---

CV inputs for ALL functions. Not some, not a few. ALL.

NO internal connections. No drop-down menus. All CV. Why? 'Cuz I prefer to see where the wires are going, versus using my imagination. I also do not want to take up even more screen real estate because I'd like to see:

The beat-chopping / pitch shifting / bit-reduction of BuffRE
The Stuttering of Glitch
The granularity of Torsion / Proton / Grain
The time-stretching of Reason's native audio lanes
PM
FM
RM
AM
8+ LFOs or other modulation sources that have the options of KRON or the PSQ-1684. Get them, they're amazing.

Basically, an all-in-one chop shop. Instant Autechre. Instant Max/MSP artists from Japan who bang this stuff out all day in programs designed to make just that style of music.

Designed with bare-bones coding - what I mean by that is this: Less concern for audio quality, more concern for actual function. If you're making music this abstract, audio quality MAY be less important.

It's purpose (in my cluttered head) is to be a device designed to mangle audio in digital ways, with no regard for anything above 44.1 kHz. Even better if a low-fi button to cut it to 22050 could be integrated to reduce CPU usage even more. If a user would want less high-end, maybe put a basic low/high filter in there just to adjust the audio a bit. It's not an analog synth, it's just a set of effects that can be taken to the max in every direction.

Am I asking a lot? Sure I am! Can I patch some of my REs together to get this sort of effect (and I have most of them)? Yep. Do I want to? Nope. I still don't get all of what I'm looking for, and I'd like an effect that lumps it all together and allows me the functionality of the listed requirements above without having to wire several REs together. This would also reduce the CPU, because the extra functions aren't there.

I'm sure asking for a lot. I know. After using VCVRack (due to poor Reason performance as of late), I'm getting excited to see some really beautiful effects and sound processing that I simply cannot emulate in Reason easily. Yeah I can do it (25 years of this stuff), but I want it to be easier.

Reason is my favorite sequencer and is really amazing when I think about it. As of recent, it's been getting more and more modular, more abstract with its players and other devices. Yet, when I play around with VCVRack and 2020 Beat Machine (a Max/MSP standalone app) and Bitwig, I get really jealous of their functions. I do not want to work in several DAWs. I want to work only in Reason. I want to make the beautiful music I hear created with Max/MSP in Reason. I know it can be done, because we get so close with so many of the REs.

I'm sure I'm gonna have to take some flak for this post, but man alive, I really wanna get more out of Reason than I already can (which is a lot).

Loque

06 Feb 2019

I used Grain for that from time to time. But a good sampler or better sample handling in the sequencer would definitely be a good idea... Adding a free or rhythmic stretch to NNXT would be enuf to start.
Reason12, Win10

turn2on
RE Developer

06 Feb 2019

Just ..work on it (Time stretch with sample loading device).
Now not have any additional details.

Loque

06 Feb 2019

turn2on wrote:
06 Feb 2019
:? :o

Do you sleep from time to time?
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

06 Feb 2019

I'm always intrigued that there are a million bit- and rate-crushing REs and VSTs, but other digital artifacts such as Skype-style lossy compression are basically ignored.

KirkMarkarian

06 Feb 2019

turn2on wrote:
06 Feb 2019
Looking forward to seeing what you've come up with!

KirkMarkarian

06 Feb 2019

EdGrip wrote:
06 Feb 2019
I'm always intrigued that there are a million bit- and rate-crushing REs and VSTs, but other digital artifacts such as Skype-style lossy compression are basically ignored.
Absolutely. Bit-crushing is a fantastic effect, but it's all maxed out. So many other things to be done with audio, but it's always left to less user-friendly programs and devices. So much more to be done!

Karim
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2019

KirkMarkarian wrote:
turn2on wrote:
06 Feb 2019
Looking forward to seeing what you've come up with!
+1000 for robot/glitch/artefact à la Skype! [emoji2][emoji41][emoji7]

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

two shoes

12 Feb 2019

EdGrip wrote:
06 Feb 2019
no one associates the sound of lossy Skype compression with beats from their youth? bitcrushed is the sound of classic samplers and beatboxes and people like the warm and crunchy way that hardware sounds. does anyone like what conversion to lossy compression formats does to a sound? or do they and "lo-fi" is the sound of low bitrate mp3s and youtube audio?

rcbuse
RE Developer

12 Feb 2019

two shoes wrote:
12 Feb 2019
EdGrip wrote:
06 Feb 2019
no one associates the sound of lossy Skype compression with beats from their youth? bitcrushed is the sound of classic samplers and beatboxes and people like the warm and crunchy way that hardware sounds. does anyone like what conversion to lossy compression formats does to a sound? or do they and "lo-fi" is the sound of low bitrate mp3s and youtube audio?
Audiomatic's mp3 setting does an excellent digital compression wharble. Dial it in high and your audio can sound like you are back in 1995 listening to a realaudio stream over your 14.4 dial-up.

two shoes

12 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
06 Feb 2019
I used Grain for that from time to time. But a good sampler or better sample handling in the sequencer would definitely be a good idea... Adding a free or rhythmic stretch to NNXT would be enuf to start.
I can't imagine that an update to NN-XT and NN-19 isn't planned for Reason 11. I'd love to see "mk2" updates for a bunch of the stock devices including the M-Class devices, the Echo, RPG-8 and the Matrix, Scream 4, and all the half rack space units, but NN-XT and NN-19 are right at the top of that list. To me a modern super sampler that can slice stuff into usable Rex loops and drum hits automatically is the one device that would add the most to the rack right now.

EdGrip

12 Feb 2019

rcbuse wrote:
12 Feb 2019
Audiomatic's mp3 setting does an excellent digital compression wharble. Dial it in high and your audio can sound like you are back in 1995 listening to a realaudio stream over your 14.4 dial-up.
Oh yeah! :D
I wonder what's going on in there - I heard tell that the Audiomatic is a container for effects built with stock Reason devices - if so, I wonder how the mp3 mode works?

rcbuse
RE Developer

12 Feb 2019

EdGrip wrote:
12 Feb 2019

Oh yeah! :D
I wonder what's going on in there - I heard tell that the Audiomatic is a container for effects built with stock Reason devices - if so, I wonder how the mp3 mode works?
I can't speak to the code inside Audiomatic, but I can't see any reason to believe its stock devices inside there. Some of these effects are pretty weird.
If I were to create an effect that sounds like lossy-compression, I would just implement exactly that. Plenty of codecs out there to pick from and the 'transform' knob could just set the bit rate.

moneykube

12 Feb 2019

will a time portal be added to change previous mixes with knowledgeable insight gained from experience, experimentation, and practice? :puf_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Loque

12 Feb 2019

moneykube wrote:
12 Feb 2019
will a time portal be added to change previous mixes with knowledgeable insight gained from experience, experimentation, and practice? :puf_smile:
File menu - - > Open Song...
Reason12, Win10

groggy1

13 Feb 2019

It's not a Rack Extension, but I can highly recommend Serato Sampler as a way to do timestretching of samples. It lets you map a single sample across the keyboard, and within an octave the stretching is quite realistic.

Serato is one of the companies that's well-known for their time+pitch stretching algorithm.

I often will take a single synth sample, and use Serato to "play" that sample stretched. Sometimes, I'll even sample a single note from a RE/VST, and then load it into Serato - playing a "sample" instead of a synth may sound crazy, but it has a different sound to it that's sometimes quite unique.

Marco Raaphorst

13 Feb 2019

Grain is a time-stretching sampler but maybe you are referring to something else?

KirkMarkarian

13 Feb 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
13 Feb 2019
Grain is a time-stretching sampler but maybe you are referring to something else?
Yeah, looking for a different variation of time stretch. So many variations provide several different types of stretch sounds

• Information