8Z Free and 8Z Pro - Discover all the Yamaha FM Synths - All for PX7!

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
bitley

04 Feb 2019

Thanks for all the input guys, the work is now completed. You talked, and I listened. :shock: :lol:

First out is 8Z FREE and you can download it here. It is an attempt to sort and organize the masses of DX7 sysex banks and 300,000 DX7 sounds were cooked down to the files here - the refill contains 23,435 files. I have added combinators and I hope this will be a fun experience for each and everyone!

lecafard

05 Feb 2019

Incredible work Patrick, thank you very much for sharing your time and your talent !!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

bitley

05 Feb 2019

Thank you very much!

I am just about to update the website, or rather - that'll have to wait until tomorrow, because I've worked for 12 hours already today. :)

Those interested can now order 8Z Pro via this link and I've made a generous intro price according to the previous wishes and comments in this thread. The refill is insanely nice - I hope you will order it! But begin with 8Z Free first and see if you like the concept.

Greetings from a very very snowy winter wonderland in Sweden!
Patrick

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2019

you did a good thing Patrick. :). I hope you get a good response. I’ll look into gettin PX7 then jump on the refill. Thanks for putting in the time and work and also for being sympathetic to the customer base. I’m sure people appreciate it.
As regards the snow...-26 degrees and thigh deep here. Hating it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

06 Feb 2019

Yes! Summer please! But at least it's best to stay inside hugging Reason ;) I think you will appreciate the PX7, try the demo.

bitley

06 Feb 2019

Thanks for support this far. I will most probably keep adding patches to the Pro version as I've found lots of inspiring new possibilities with the PX7. :)

Magnus

06 Feb 2019

Hi Bitley! Great work :) Does the Pro version just have more of your Combinators, or does it also have more individual PX7 .repatch files as well? Could you provide a better breakdown comparing the Free and the Pro releases? Cheers!

bitley

06 Feb 2019

Yes,
Combis, PX7 (and samples, extra RE banks)

Wobbleburger

06 Feb 2019

Awesome! I downloaded that massive free refill with the PX7 patches from Prop earlier this week.... They're so unorganized that I went nuts trying to find a bass vs a synth, etc. It sounds like 8Z organized all of those. I'll download it tonight - and if I like it, I'll definitely pay for this. Thanks for doing your part to keep the PX7 relevant. It's a brilliant (but intimidating) RE.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

bitley

06 Feb 2019

Yes, I aimed for that but there will possibly be slight errors here and there. But that can be fixed by updating it if you guys can help out finding "bugs" :D

I had the same experience as you - and my theory is that there might not be so many more (unique) DX7 sounds out there than max 20,000 - 25,000 - the amount of copies is truly insane.

Having said that 8Z Free is quite insane as well but my aim is... hear this... actually to update it by removing sounds :D (Doubles, that is).

I was afraid I would kill my SSD disk doing all file movements - but SSD speed was necessary of course.

The original banks includes a number (1 to 32) on each sound and once I'd removed those I discovered that one single sound often would appear in loads of banks.

There's also many renaming cases in the (sometimes nearly 30 years old) sysex banks, where stuff like for instance "E.BASS 1" was renamed to "E.Bass 1"; tried checking that but given the amount of patches I went through some issues like that are still there, thus there will be some patches with identical parameters.

I renamed everything because I thought the sound (name) lists were so messy; perhaps not the best / most respectful thing to do - but there simply are such an extreme amount of sounds that I decided on a few quick fixes.

Another problem is the "other" kind of same-ness, namely the issue the DX7 always had being hard to program. Some guy did his favourite take on the factory presets by changing them 0,5% and was proud to put his name in the display to impress his friends - I lived in the 1980s so I know that often was the case - and therefore there were 8,297 (sic) patches called stuff like JOE BRASS, ADAM-XYLO and what not... are those really unique sounds or just copies more or less? Remains to be seen / heard but I sorted that anyway. It frustrates me that there were such a devilish amount of EPs etc because I am curious about unique sounds.

The only way to use it really is to pick a random number and go: if Strings 455 is a crappy sound let's try Strings 659.

Please don't go through all 23,000 - life is too short ;)

But pointing out errors here and there is ok.

It's a labour of love and the coolest thing would be if you stumbled upon a • really • unique sound - please let us all know which one it is.

Naturally 8Z Pro has more of that kind of stuff. :)

In the end perhaps there only were 200 or so really unique DX7 sounds back in the old days due to that nightmare of an interface :D

But the japanese guy on Youtube has truly mastered the DX7. Can post links later. I was especially impressed with a choir sound that really sounds like a choir. Incredible!!!

bitley

07 Feb 2019

Admin: Why does active discussions like this one disappear from new posts / latest discussions? The forum settings are incorrect.

bitley

07 Feb 2019

And now again? Is anyone deliberately removing it?! For what purpose?

ScuzzyEye

07 Feb 2019

Those pages are generated dynamically per user. I don't know what the exact rules are, but your recent posts are showing up there for me. Maybe after you reply to a thread it removes them from your view, making the assumption that thread is no longer interesting to you.

No one is manually removing anything.

bitley

07 Feb 2019

Ah, Ok, but it just looks weird to me, not like in other forums. :) It's like the thread just disappears.

joeyluck

07 Feb 2019

bitley wrote:
07 Feb 2019
Ah, Ok, but it just looks weird to me, not like in other forums. :) It's like the thread just disappears.
I'm reading this from 'New Posts' because it's new to me :puf_smile:
You can't view New Posts without first logging in.

It doesn't work like a latest post list does; where it would simply show all posts/threads in order of activity.
There's times when New Posts is empty for me.

two shoes

08 Feb 2019

Is this related to the Way Beyond Solid bass refill - is there overlap between the two? I love your sounds but I can never figure out from the website what's not included in the stuff I've already bought.

two shoes

08 Feb 2019

The other day everyone was discussing a PX7 refill you did with 23,000 sounds that was $79 - it sounded like it was already for sale but I went to your website and didn't find anything like that - instead I bought the Way Beyond Solid thing for $10 which is great, but I have no idea if it's part of the larger refill or if that's even for sale yet? Now I can't find anything called 8Z on your site either?

It's a bit maddening to be honest - any chance we could get a comprehensive breakdown of the refills you've made for Reason including which ones are included in other refills and the prices for everything? Make it so that even slow folks like myself can easily figure out what's what and give you more of our money, everyone wins!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2019

two shoes wrote:
08 Feb 2019
The other day everyone was discussing a PX7 refill you did with 23,000 sounds that was $79 - it sounded like it was already for sale but I went to your website and didn't find anything like that - instead I bought the Way Beyond Solid thing for $10 which is great, but I have no idea if it's part of the larger refill or if that's even for sale yet? Now I can't find anything called 8Z on your site either?

It's a bit maddening to be honest - any chance we could get a comprehensive breakdown of the refills you've made for Reason including which ones are included in other refills and the prices for everything? Make it so that even slow folks like myself can easily figure out what's what and give you more of our money, everyone wins!
If you read from the start of the thread you’ll get the full picture as to how things developed with pricing and content of this refill.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

09 Feb 2019

Website not updated yet but this also effectively works as an evaluation to see everyone happy about what's being offered. :-)

bitley

11 Feb 2019

bitley

12 Feb 2019

Wakie wakie? 🤪

The intro offer is valid until thursday evening 19.00 CET. But the free bank will be free. It's time to see some real feedback for this please. Thanks!

bitley

13 Feb 2019

Content in 8Z Free:

All original preset patch banks for DX5, DX7, DX9, TX81Z and TX81Z as well as an assortment of over 23,000 public domain patches categorised into Bass, Effects, Keyboard Instruments, Mallet, Percussion, Plucked, Reeds & Flutes, Strings, Synthesizers, Voices as well as a plethora of sub folders. Additionally there are 21 FX patches and 54 Combinator patches.

Content in 8Z pro:

145 original PX7 patches, 90 original TX81Z patches, 16 Combinator patches for WBF R2 users, 105 advanced Combinator patches including all TX816 preset settings, page R sequencer templates, Player and FX programs, RE extra patches for Aurora, Ivoks, Mono/Poly, Polysix, Predator, Radical Piano, ReDominator and Revival, multisampled synthesizers including original DX7 samples, drum machines sorted into BD, SD, HH / perc, cowbells, cymbals, loops, other and toms, congas & bongos. There are an assortment of Fairlight CMI samples taken from WBF R2X and also extra patches for Malström, NNXT, Subtractor and Thor.

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2019

bitley wrote:
30 Jan 2019
This is just one of the combinators

That is solid!!!

bitley

14 Feb 2019

It is! Thanks!

motuscott

14 Feb 2019

DLing 8Z Free now. Looking forward to making some sense out of PX7 patch madness.
Thanks Bitley!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information