Reason Slow Performance - when is optimisation coming?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oquasec

23 Jan 2019

get some refills & read the operation manual is what I'll be doing.
Vst support is rewire anyways
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

ProfessaKaos

24 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
23 Jan 2019
Jeez, how much misinformation in this thread...

1) No, Reason doesn't use GPU to render the GUI. It's the CPU that calculates location & state of all the graphical elements, draws all the lines, pixels, colours, shading, etc. into the buffer in RAM and then "sends" a pointer to that buffer to GPU for it to display it. Proper GPU-acceleration would take over most of that work from CPU, thus freeing up more of its power to do audio processing. That's why when you use multiple high-res monitors (or just have a weak CPU) and start scrolling busy rack or mixer your DSP goes up.

2) VSTs are run as separate programs. Some use GPU, most don't. Reason - or any other DAW - cannot change it.

3) There's no way a setting in Windows (or any other system) can force a program to "use GPU" if it only has software renderer, i.e. it draws the GUI using CPU, like I described in #1. To do that, the developers has to alter the code, re-writing it to use GPU APIs like Direct-X, Vulkan, Metal, etc. What that Windows setting does it just forces the programs that already use GPU to use *specified* GPU in systems that have 2+ of them, which is most of desktop PCs and many laptops. Nowadays all Intel processors have embedded GPUs and many programs by default will use that. The setting allows you to force Windows to run it one the discrete GPU instead, like your Nvidia or AMD graphics card. However, for DAWs this will not have a lot of impact, because drawing a 2D interface with few moving pieces is a small job even for the embedded GPUs. It's not a complex 3D or VR game.
Thanks for letting us know about this information.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

CookieClimber

04 Feb 2019

I'd like to bump this thread to reach the developers again.

I have considered buying a new macbook cause I thought the performance issues i'm having are due to my mac getting old. I pretty much only use it for reason so have no other reference, but reason has become slower that's for sure. I don't know exactly when, cause my projects have increased in size as well. Nowhere near any unreasonable size though. (no pun intended) Trying to finish an album and I can't record in my projects anymore and have to open up a new song, record there and export the wav for it to come clean without hickups.

Macbooks are pretty darn expensive so if an upgrade solves this i'd rather pay for that.

Are there any news from stockholm regarding this?

EnochLight

04 Feb 2019

CookieClimber wrote:
04 Feb 2019

I have considered buying a new macbook cause I thought the performance issues i'm having are due to my mac getting old. I pretty much only use it for reason so have no other reference, but reason has become slower that's for sure. I don't know exactly when, cause my projects have increased in size as well. Nowhere near any unreasonable size though. (no pun intended) Trying to finish an album and I can't record in my projects anymore and have to open up a new song, record there and export the wav for it to come clean without hickups.

Macbooks are pretty darn expensive so if an upgrade solves this i'd rather pay for that.

Are you using VST’s? If so, wait until the update. If not, I’d still wait until the update. If it doesn’t address your performance issues, then consider upgrading your hardware.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

CookieClimber

05 Feb 2019

I'd wait if it's not too far from now. Does anyone have any idea when this update is coming?

aeox
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2019

CookieClimber wrote:
05 Feb 2019
I'd wait if it's not too far from now. Does anyone have any idea when this update is coming?
Probably this year

EnochLight

05 Feb 2019

CookieClimber wrote:
05 Feb 2019
It was supposed to be by the end of 2018, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we see it 1st quarter this year - maybe 2nd quarter at the latest.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bolandross

05 Feb 2019

Hey folks,

this update was mentioned several times now. What was announced to be in it? What are the official facts?

Zac

05 Feb 2019

bolandross wrote:
05 Feb 2019
Hey folks,

this update was mentioned several times now. What was announced to be in it? What are the official facts?
https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/upd ... erformance

^^This is all that has been released so far AFAIK.

bolandross

05 Feb 2019

Zac wrote:
05 Feb 2019
https://www.propellerheads.com/blog/upd ... erformance
^^This is all that has been released so far AFAIK.
Thank you very much!

Wobbleburger

05 Feb 2019

CookieClimber wrote:
04 Feb 2019

I just ordered the parts to build a new PC. Reason performance being the #1 ... reason. Really hoping I don't run into performance issues on an i7 9700k/32gb. My late 2015 Macbook Pro just can't handle my large projects anymore and I prefer to keep midi over bouncing for performance.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

EnochLight

05 Feb 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
05 Feb 2019
I just ordered the parts to build a new PC. Reason performance being the #1 ... reason. Really hoping I don't run into performance issues on an i7 9700k/32gb. My late 2015 Macbook Pro just can't handle my large projects anymore and I prefer to keep midi over bouncing for performance.
To be clear, no matter how fast your machine is (it could be the fastest machine under the sun available for any amount of money), Reason 10.2 will still perform worse than every other DAW out there when hosting VST. So the question is, how quickly does your current machine get pushed to its knees, and will your new build get you by until the 10.3 performance fix appears?

Flath

05 Feb 2019

Hi there,

I have a new maxed iMac running High Sierra (with Mojave Reason gave me some other issues that made me go back to High Sierra) - Reason is almost unusable, very laggy performance and delay. It feels like im connected to a remote server over dodgy modem. Click....wait for it....actioned.

I read somewhere to lower the resolution but the whole point of having the iMac is the screen and resources.

Can you guys give an rought estimate when the new version 10.2 or 11 will arrive and will it solve the issues on iMacs?

I use Reason for last 8 years and really dont want to learn new software.

Thanks in advance!

Wobbleburger

05 Feb 2019

EnochLight wrote:
05 Feb 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
05 Feb 2019
To be clear, no matter how fast your machine is (it could be the fastest machine under the sun available for any amount of money), Reason 10.2 will still perform worse than every other DAW out there when hosting VST. So the question is, how quickly does your current machine get pushed to its knees, and will your new build get you by until the 10.3 performance fix appears?
My new parts get here this Friday, so I think I'll be able to test it before 10.3 - I'm thinking March or April for 10.3 but who really knows. I hope it's at least in Beta :D
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

EnochLight

05 Feb 2019

Flath wrote:
05 Feb 2019
Can you guys give an rought estimate when the new version 10.2 or 11 will arrive and will it solve the issues on iMacs?
You mean 10.3? We're already on 10.2....

viewtopic.php?p=430840#p430840

No clue about iMacs.

Flath

05 Feb 2019

Yes, 10.3 - or whatever version that fixes performance issues on iMac and VSTs.
Im on 9.5.x

jam-s

05 Feb 2019

Flath wrote:
05 Feb 2019
Yes, 10.3 - or whatever version that fixes performance issues on iMac and VSTs.
Im on 9.5.x
Slow performance with HiDPI screens and slow performance with some VST are two completely unrelated things.

Flath

05 Feb 2019

Hi jam-s,

yes, and I am affected by both of those issues.

Would be good to know if those will be fixed in next release.

Thanks.

ethernine99

06 Feb 2019

Reason is also kicking my Mac butt..... very badly! the dsp goes bananas! i used reason for years a never ever had it spike where it freeze my whole mac sometimes.

im on 10.2.2d1

sucks i can only make beats for now can't mix anything cause if i start using 3 or 4 :? vst's it flips out.

RandyEspoda

06 Feb 2019

I've been having weird issues as well, never had any up until now with the latest build.

Basically I'm getting 'out of memory' errors while there's still like 8-10 GIGS of ram free...
Reason also hanging while bouncing in place or while 'saving and optimizing' and stuff like that.

Also repeatedly when I mute midi bars, they still play until I unmute then mute them again.

Seriously, performance wise, Reason really is going downhill, not up...never had any of such issues till this last release dropped.

EdGrip

06 Feb 2019

Had a thing the other day where drag-and-drop device loading from the browser stopped working. Could still load devices via context menus etc, but not dragging.

ethernine99

07 Feb 2019

RandyEspoda wrote:
06 Feb 2019
I've been having weird issues as well, never had any up until now with the latest build.

Basically I'm getting 'out of memory' errors while there's still like 8-10 GIGS of ram free...
Reason also hanging while bouncing in place or while 'saving and optimizing' and stuff like that.

Also repeatedly when I mute midi bars, they still play until I unmute then mute them again.

Seriously, performance wise, Reason really is going downhill, not up...never had any of such issues till this last release dropped.

same here i have a bunch of ram free and its still going crazy..

EdGrip

07 Feb 2019

EdGrip wrote:
06 Feb 2019
Had a thing the other day where drag-and-drop device loading from the browser stopped working. Could still load devices via context menus etc, but not dragging.
Last night the mixer did the same thing - couldn't drag and drop a channel into a new position, unless I did it one step at a time. I need to email this bug to Props. Does anyone else have trouble with drag and drop?

CookieClimber

07 Feb 2019

It's sad, seing that Reason always has been very friendly to the CPU. And funny enough this may be why they waited so long to jump on the VST train. At last the pressure got too high and they included VST, only to find this.

ALTHOUGH

It feels like reason is eating power in other ways as well nowadays, cause even when I delete VSTs, my projects seem to lag more than before.

Data_Shrine

09 Feb 2019

I recently wanted to start a project - ep or lp, made only in Reason, but I quickly realized it's not possible. I can't do much before the software becomes unusable. It's like all it can handle fine by itself is recording audio. Forget about RE's & VST's. So it's back to rewire for me.

We'll see, but I doubt a VST-only optimization update will cut it. I'm getting ready for the april 1st release ! ;)

• Information