Ultimate Reason PC Build

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

15 Jan 2019

sublunar wrote:
15 Jan 2019
My personal experience also favors non-Focusrite equipment. I owned a couple 18i20s once and once was enough. I've always had good luck with M-Audio stuff. Never tried RME.
I've heard nothing but questionable stuff about Focusrite experiences - it seems to be all over the board (which is enough for me to say "no thanks"). I've had a couple of different M-Audio stuff. Their firewire line never played nice with my systems. Their USB stuff was OK, but latency was never that great, and their driver support has always been spotty. Not sure if they've improved over the years. I had one MOTU interface and sold it just a few short months later, because at the time it required very specific firewire chipsets to behave well, and I guess my system didn't cut it.

RME is legendary when it comes to driver stability, hardware performance, and support. Even their oldest hardware gets driver updates for the latest versions of Mac and Windows, which is absolutely amazing. Their components are top notch, but most of all - the driver performance (especially over USB) is unrivaled. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that RME is truly the best of the best. There are countless threads at KVR and Gearslutz lamenting how awesome they are.

I didn't believe it 100% until I picked up my Babyface Pro. After I got it, I decided that I will never own another audio interface from another manufacturer within the first few weeks of using it. Simply put: it's THAT good.

But I digress... Might as well get 64 GB of RAM and call it a day. ;) :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

bxbrkrz

15 Jan 2019

I would go as far as suggesting budgeting your PC around the choice of your RME card first (based on your need). Think of the cost as a built-in headache-free lifetime insurance (Mac or PC).
https://www.rme-audio.de/
Don't go cheap on the power supply: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
Glancing at your cool looking PC case all day is inspiring (glass, RGB lights, good cable management, etc). Dust is the number one workstation killer. A well maintained and clean PC will last longer. And why hide all that you spent behind an ugly opaque panel? :D
Bequiet or Noctua (fans).

Good luck.

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

AttenuationHz

16 Jan 2019

Noctua fans all day long! They are not great to look at if you are going for the unnecessary distraction of pretty colours but they keep my CPU below 50°C pretty constantly, never hear it over the PSU/case fans. Fractal design case fans are also really good hardly any noise from them. Never used bequiet myself but I hear their power supplies are pretty good for minimum dB. The Fractal build I posted up above includes a bequiet PSU and a Noctua cooler you could probably swap it for a louder PSU as that case dampens sound quiet a lot, has excellent ventilation and minimises dust build-up. I'd recommend buying the dust mesh for the fan holes also, there is mesh on the case but the holes are not very small.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

vizay

16 Jan 2019

why not look into the ryzen 2 cpus?

even if they have a slight hint of the problems that ryzen 1 had it'll still only be noticeable at extremely low latencies.

It's a lot of cpu/$ compared to intel :)

and about ram and adding on more at a later stage, it's really not that simple at all times. If you can find identical modules later on then sure, add more of the same. However, the market moves so fast that a lot of the times a specific model often gets replaced with a new one (running other timings) within 1-2 years.
One thing is sure at that point, you will either have to buy a new full set of ram or you will introduce a lot of instability to your system id you add modules with other timing speccs compared to your original ones :)

Wobbleburger

16 Jan 2019

vizay wrote:
16 Jan 2019

even if they have a slight hint of the problems that ryzen 1 had it'll still only be noticeable at extremely low latencies.

It's a lot of cpu/$ compared to intel :)

and about ram and adding on more at a later stage, it's really not that simple at all times. If you can find identical modules later on then sure, add more of the same. However, the market moves so fast that a lot of the times a specific model often gets replaced with a new one (running other timings) within 1-2 years.
One thing is sure at that point, you will either have to buy a new full set of ram or you will introduce a lot of instability to your system id you add modules with other timing speccs compared to your original ones :)
Thanks - I'm looking at Ryzen. They have great ratings (maybe not the best single thread though) - Also, I plan on 32gb DDR4 - I get waiting but I'm doing it ahead of time for the reasons you said. Plus, I want the option to edit HD video.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

EnochLight

16 Jan 2019

vizay wrote:
16 Jan 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
16 Jan 2019
Thanks - I'm looking at Ryzen. They have great ratings (maybe not the best single thread though) - Also, I plan on 32gb DDR4 - I get waiting but I'm doing it ahead of time for the reasons you said. Plus, I want the option to edit HD video.
I wouldn't touch Ryzen for audio production right now if working at low latencies/audio sample rates with high plugin counts is necessary. Both Ryzen and Threadripper perform worse than Intel for this. That said, plenty of people use Ryzen/Threadripper and manage their latency/audio sample rates just fine. You'll just get better performance with Intel...

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/03/02 ... for-audio/

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/08/14 ... 20x-1950x/

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2018/08/24 ... repeating/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ScuzzyEye

16 Jan 2019

vizay wrote:
16 Jan 2019

The Zen 2 based, 3rd gen Ryzen / 2nd gen EPYCs are coming this year. They should completely solve the IPC issues of the Zen(+) CPUs.

I'm looking to build a 16 core / 32 thread EPYC 2 later this year.

Wobbleburger

16 Jan 2019

Sounds like I'll need to go Intel (i7 or i9... leaning towards i9 to futureproof) - 32 gb... some sort of audio interface. the Babyface looks lovely but ... expensive. Nearly as expensive as the computer itself. From the start, with no plans to record live audio or live instruments, how integral is the audio interface with a PC? I use my Macbook's built in soundcard currently and have no issues at all...

So, ELI 5: Why is an audio interface 100% necessary for PC audio production with Reason if no recording is planned (all midi in the box)?

I'll also eventually need studio monitors but I'm current mixing/mastering with Audio Technicas and Sennheisers (I switch to check how it sounds on both). I'll keep my old video card (Radeon 2xx - I forget)
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.

EnochLight

16 Jan 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
16 Jan 2019
The Zen 2 based, 3rd gen Ryzen / 2nd gen EPYCs are coming this year. They should completely solve the IPC issues of the Zen(+) CPUs.

I'm looking to build a 16 core / 32 thread EPYC 2 later this year.
It's not just their inferior instructions per clockcycle compared to Intel; it's the actual Zen interface that lets them stack cores/core counts. I'm hoping the entire thing is improved to meet/beat Intel. If they can't get it done this year, then I'll likely stick to Intel.

EnochLight

16 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
16 Jan 2019
... some sort of audio interface. the Babyface looks lovely but ... expensive. Nearly as expensive as the computer itself. From the start, with no plans to record live audio or live instruments, how integral is the audio interface with a PC? I use my Macbook's built in soundcard currently and have no issues at all...

So, ELI 5: Why is an audio interface 100% necessary for PC audio production with Reason if no recording is planned (all midi in the box)?
It's not, really - aside for low latency. But if you're not using hardware MIDI controllers, then you probably won't even be bothered by that. If you're not going to record audio or sample, then stick to your girlfriend's Focusrite and save some bucks. On Windows, Reason absolutely requires an ASIO driver capable audio interface to record audio or sample.

That said, many PC motherboards come with built-in audio interfaces that work with at least some basic ASIO drivers, so you might be able to even skirt using an external audio interface completely (try ASIO4ALL for free, even). But an external soundcard will almost always sound better and have lower latency. If you're dropping that sort of cash on a future-proof audio workstation, it just seems like a waste to skimp on a high quality audio interface... BUT... if you're not going to record audio or sample? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bxbrkrz

16 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
16 Jan 2019

I'll also eventually need studio monitors but I'm current mixing/mastering with Audio Technicas and Sennheisers (I switch to check how it sounds on both). I'll keep my old video card (Radeon 2xx - I forget)
You don't need an audio interface with analog inputs if you are 100% in the box with zero live recordings. You'll still need a very good digital to analog interface to trust what you are doing. If your motherboard comes with one, or with an optical output then you are almost there... as long as you understand that motherboard will never be as good sounding as the cheapest Focusrite interface. Can ASIO4ALL gives you the option of loopback recording? I don't know.

Tell us how much you are planning to spend. What is your total budget including monitors. I don't understand why 32g is a priority over an amazing audio interface IF you are planning building a (quiet) music focused rig.

RME Digiface USB.
Last edited by bxbrkrz on 16 Jan 2019, edited 2 times in total.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

sublunar

16 Jan 2019

vizay wrote:
16 Jan 2019

This absolutely true. I was going to go down this rabbit hole in my previous reply but decided against it just to avoid blabbering on further.

Another thing to consider is if, for example, you decide to buy 4x4GB sticks instead 2x8GB. Buying 4 of the smaller capacity modules means all your sockets are used up so when you do decide to upgrade, you will essentially be trashing the old ones and buying all new ones. So, at the very least, I would recommend buying two larger capacity memory sticks if you want to keep the option open of buying two more identical ones in the future (if they're still available).

-

As far as why buy an audio interface? Like enochlight said: latency. Quality audio interfaces provide low enough latency that it sounds like real time recording/performing. For example, if you have drums running and you want to record a riff on a keyboard or something over the beat. If you don't have low enough latency, each note you hit will be delayed from the sound you're hearing and it can be difficult to try getting it lined up properly. It'd probably be hard to tell before purchasing if your onboard audio hardware will be able to achieve low latency.

But if you're not planning on recording live music with microphones or using a midi keyboard to play/record live over a running beat then you might be able to get by without an expensive audio interface. In that case, don't rush out to buy an interface. If you decide later that the onboard audio isn't good enough then it's not the end of the world, as there's decent interfaces out there which are fairly inexpensive at around $100.

Wobbleburger

17 Jan 2019

sublunar wrote:
16 Jan 2019
vizay wrote:
16 Jan 2019

This absolutely true. I was going to go down this rabbit hole in my previous reply but decided against it just to avoid blabbering on further.

Another thing to consider is if, for example, you decide to buy 4x4GB sticks instead 2x8GB. Buying 4 of the smaller capacity modules means all your sockets are used up so when you do decide to upgrade, you will essentially be trashing the old ones and buying all new ones. So, at the very least, I would recommend buying two larger capacity memory sticks if you want to keep the option open of buying two more identical ones in the future (if they're still available).

-

As far as why buy an audio interface? Like enochlight said: latency. Quality audio interfaces provide low enough latency that it sounds like real time recording/performing. For example, if you have drums running and you want to record a riff on a keyboard or something over the beat. If you don't have low enough latency, each note you hit will be delayed from the sound you're hearing and it can be difficult to try getting it lined up properly. It'd probably be hard to tell before purchasing if your onboard audio hardware will be able to achieve low latency.

But if you're not planning on recording live music with microphones or using a midi keyboard to play/record live over a running beat then you might be able to get by without an expensive audio interface. In that case, don't rush out to buy an interface. If you decide later that the onboard audio isn't good enough then it's not the end of the world, as there's decent interfaces out there which are fairly inexpensive at around $100.
Thanks - this is helpful. I'll still get an interface but I have 0 hardware. I have a USB Blu Yeti mic just to have... I don't use it. I appreciate good hardware but I spend my money on plugins & rack extensions. I was thinking the Scarlett Solo for monitors and microphone needs. I do realize that when I move out of my apartment, I'll need monitors... For monitors, I'll need an interface. So it's an inevitable purchase. The problem I'm trying to fix at this time is Reason being very sluggish on my 30+ track songs. Hence the need for a new computer. I realize I can't get too far mixing on my audio technica headphones but I cannot blast my neighbors with sound 24/7 at this time (and I'm in Reason all day/night).

Edit: Starting a new thread regarding audio interface/monitors... You guys kick ass and I appreciate all the help. Pardon me as I was born into software and never once used hardware synths. I've always been 'in the box' since Cakewalk.

EnochLight

17 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
17 Jan 2019
Pardon me as I was born into software and never once used hardware synths. I've always been 'in the box' since Cakewalk.
I get that you were born into software, but even a basic MIDI controller with keys (or pads if percussion is your thing) completely changes the experience, and ups it 1000 percent, by controlling said RE’s, native devices, or other plugins.

You should try it.

Wobbleburger

17 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jan 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
17 Jan 2019
Pardon me as I was born into software and never once used hardware synths. I've always been 'in the box' since Cakewalk.
I get that you were born into software, but even a basic MIDI controller with keys (or pads if percussion is your thing) completely changes the experience, and ups it 1000 percent, by controlling said RE’s, native devices, or other plugins.

You should try it.
Oh, man I'm sorry. I should have mentioned I have a Korg Nanokontrol (I only use the stop/play button when Reason lags) and a Novation Launchkey mini. I have my eye on a Nektar 49 key. I meant I don't have any hardware synths or gear.

EnochLight

18 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
17 Jan 2019
EnochLight wrote:
17 Jan 2019

You should try it.
Oh, man I'm sorry. I should have mentioned I have a Korg Nanokontrol (I only use the stop/play button when Reason lags) and a Novation Launchkey mini. I have my eye on a Nektar 49 key. I meant I don't have any hardware synths or gear.
Oh my bad! Yes, then it's a good thing you're looking at a proper ASIO soundcard for your new build. Low latency is critical when using MIDI controllers.

AttenuationHz

19 Jan 2019

Monitors anything ADAM! Bought Adam f5's on a budget a couple of years ago and they are really great! If you have a big room go for 7" or 8"
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Wobbleburger

28 Jan 2019

Ok gang, I'm contemplating buying this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBun ... u%20bundle

I already have a video card I can move into it (not amazing but I don't game) ... Should I go for a 4tb sata HD or a 1tb SSD? I also have an extra 250gb SSD in my old PC.
Would 1tb ssd + 250gb ssd (my OS drive) be enough? not many games but I may do streaming. The rest will be songs/samples/packs

The single-thread rating on the i7 chosen is like 2700 or so. I believe #4 on the list. Sounds good to me. I dont think I'll need 32gb ram but I can always add more... Might want to stream myself using Reason but I think this can handle that too.

Thoughts?

EnochLight

28 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
28 Jan 2019
... Should I go for a 4tb sata HD or a 1tb SSD?
An SSD is always going to be several orders of magnitude faster than a mechanical SATA drive. So the question is: do you value speed and system responsiveness over data storage? If so, go for the SSD. If you need terabytes of room for data, you can always add a 4 TB drive later.

Wobbleburger

28 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jan 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
28 Jan 2019
... Should I go for a 4tb sata HD or a 1tb SSD?
An SSD is always going to be several orders of magnitude faster than a mechanical SATA drive. So the question is: do you value speed and system responsiveness over data storage? If so, go for the SSD. If you need terabytes of room for data, you can always add a 4 TB drive later.
Cool - that makes sense. I added everything up... i7 8700k, 32gb ram, 500tb ssd (plus I have a 1tb sata and 250ssd in old pc), mobo, power, case, cooler - 930$ --- I feel good about it being under 1000$. And I also feel like this could handle Reason / streaming Reason.

syncanonymous

29 Jan 2019

Last year I went from a Sony 2011 VAIO to i7 8700K machine; parts list here:
https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/b/2WJ8TW
I went with a huge amount RAM regardless of what anyone was advising me; it's what I wanted to do. You need to fill all the slots for best performance afaiaa. How Windoze manages the RAM can be a head scratcher, but I never worry about opening a lot files...and I plan on using a bucketload of samples in the near future.

Now I am ready to upgrade audio interface. I had settled on RME UFX+, but converter quality has been nagging me...even more after I read:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-en ... rters.html

For another 1K to get higher quality converters for my purposes, the UFX+ seems not the best converter choice. I plan to decide by end of the week, much more research to do. Currently, I have Lynx and Mytek pretty high on my list....as much as I'd like a Prism Sound Atlas, the potential for poor driver performance is off-putting. The killer drivers for RME UFX+ and friendly price might still be my choice at this stage.
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

Wobbleburger

03 Feb 2019

I've decided on https://pcpartpicker.com/list/47xKD2 - I feel good about it and it's right around the 1k mark on New Egg.

Oquasec

03 Feb 2019

Well I'd personally just use a 4TB HDD & a 80gb SSD
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Wobbleburger

03 Feb 2019

Oquasec wrote:Well I'd personally just use a 4TB HDD & a 80gb SSD
Well i have an extra 256gb for the boot drive. I just love ssd speed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Feb 2019

I'm waiting to see how well the single core performance is on the ryzens that are coming out this summer. I will probably still end up with an intel chip though.

My poor xeons from 2011 are just not cutting it anymore.

• Information