New Notebook + Windows 10 + Balance

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
artotaku

10 Jan 2019

I plan to buy a new notebook which should run with Windows 10 and work with Propellerhead Balance audio interface. I would like to continue using Balance.
I heard about issues with Balance and Windows 10 (since the Balance driver is not updated anymore) and issues with USB port on certain notebooks, e. g. with my current one I can only connect it to one of the three USB ports (2.0 Standard I think).

Do you have any recommendations for a certain notebook?

Thanks.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2019

Only issues I've had with Balance and Windows 10 are that I sometimes need to open Reason preferences and reselect the Balance driver. Other than that works fine.
As far as a notebook is concerned I can't offer any advice.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

artotaku

27 Jan 2019

Finally, I decided to not buy a notebook but a ultra small form factor PC instead (HP EliteDesk 800 G4 DM 4KW18EA) since I only needed somthing small and portable rather than a complete self-sufficient device.

So far I´m really satisfied. No problems with Balance, Windows 10 or USB. The custom driver for Balance by Propellerheads (discontinued) just works.

artotaku

02 Feb 2019

After having used my new PC for a while I must report that I have the same issues with Balance/Windows 10/USB3 as others have reported.

After booting and starting Windows 10 the sound is silent if I use the sound device Balance WDM driver, e. g. when playing a mp3 with Winamp.
However, what will always work is if I start Reason where I use the ASIO Balance driver. After closing Reason even the WDM driver works again.

So far I found the following workarounds:
  • replug USB cable to Balance OR
  • deactivate/activate Balance WDM USB driver in device manager and deactivate/activate Balance WDM Sound Device (this has to executed in the correct order)
For the latter I wrote a little shell script (no warranties! Values may differ on your machine)
devcon.exe must be downloaded, search google where to get it

Code: Select all

set HWIDS="USB\VID_23E8&PID_0100&REV_0100&MI_00" "USB\VID_23E8&PID_0100&MI_00"
devcon disable %HWIDS%
regedit.exe /S disable-balance-sound-device.reg
devcon enable %HWIDS%
regedit.exe /S enable-balance-sound-device.reg
disable-balance-sound-device.reg:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{0ce7acd3-bb6e-43af-ae73-a6e5345d13df}]
"DeviceState"=dword:00000002
enable-balance-sound-device.reg

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{0ce7acd3-bb6e-43af-ae73-a6e5345d13df}]
"DeviceState"=dword:00000001

demt

08 Feb 2019

i just removed over 40 running processes or more turned on by a windows update. found in all settings .I also turned back on 10 usb connections found in device manager that had mystreriuosly turned themslves on or off due to power management, needless to say its suddenly a quick reliable pc
Ive probvably got to do all that allover again every windows update
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information