Piano keys do not highlight when in Edit mode R10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Molotovbeatz

01 Feb 2019

Hi :reason: gang,

I am a former user of FL Studio and in there when we are in piano roll edit mode, we could see the piano keys being highlighted when playing notes on the keyboard or piano keyboard. But in reason it's not the case, I was used to it when editing the note keys, pressing my piano keyboard and I could see the note played being highlighted on the piano roll in Edit mode.

Is there a possibility to achieve the same in R10 where I could see what note is being played on the piano roll Edit mode? (sorry I was repeating myself to make sure you understand what I wanted to say :mrgreen: ) - Below an example of what I mean

If not then maybe it would be good to add that on the next patch of R10 (as a suggestion).

Now I am kinda blind, trying to find the right key note on Edit mode, kinda of a pain when you don't see the keys you are pressing on the keyboad :(

Cheers,

Loque

01 Feb 2019

Its just not there...*sigh*...
But there are a few RE and PLayers that could help or use a Combinator's piano-roll view - but this is all Rack and not sequencer. Feel free to make a freature request to PH, maybe they listen after so many years we wanted this simple feature.
Reason12, Win10

dusan.cani

01 Feb 2019

Yeah, this is standard and very useful feature everywhere but not in the Reason' s sequencer...There should be also optional highlight of particular row when key on piano roll was triggered or note inserted/selected in the sequencer's edit mode. This would really help visualize what note you are aiming for.
Attachments
note_row_highlight.jpg
note_row_highlight.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 2056 times

Molotovbeatz

01 Feb 2019

That's a bummer, alright then I will try to drop the idea on the request section of the forum. Thanks guys

djs

01 Feb 2019

Selig Noteview player is an option, but works when the midi key is triggered not when a note is highlighted in.

Oquasec

01 Feb 2019

Mhm. I just Attach Reason to FL to get those features back.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Yonatan

02 Feb 2019

Agree, this is a feature I have needed so much for too long. It is crucial things like this that makes Reason cumberstone to use, the sequencer part really need to level up in user friendliness. It has the potential and I hope this getting done very soon. It is so frustrating to not see exactly what notes on the keys one push down.

michal22

02 Feb 2019

Editing in Reason also pushes me away. Searching for notes when typing them is very tiring. I think that there should be some lines leading to the keyboard on the left. :puf_unhappy:
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2019

The individual notes should also have a small label so if shows something like C#3, or whatever it is. I get cross eyed trying to see what the notes are on the far right side of my 24"monitor.

Then we need mute for a single notes. Also such a simple feature, but very useful add you try to adjust and work on a melody but do not want to delete your first melodic iteration.

I like the Reason environment but this stuff always makes me think I should just spend $49 and get Cubase for it's Midi editing capabilities...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2019

michal22 wrote:Editing in Reason also pushes me away. Searching for notes when typing them is very tiring. I think that there should be some lines leading to the keyboard on the left. :puf_unhappy:
A ticker line between each B and C certainly would help as well. And/or a different contrast for every other octave band.

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Molotovbeatz

02 Feb 2019

Boombastix wrote:
02 Feb 2019
The individual notes should also have a small label so if shows something like C#3, or whatever it is. I get cross eyed trying to see what the notes are on the far right side of my 24"monitor.

Then we need mute for a single notes. Also such a simple feature, but very useful add you try to adjust and work on a melody but do not want to delete your first melodic iteration.

I like the Reason environment but this stuff always makes me think I should just spend $49 and get Cubase for it's Midi editing capabilities...

Reason is really nice. I love is so far, maybe thats because I am used to the AKAI MPC and MPK61 interface. But yeah well I didn't expect that small basic options like highlighting the key notes would be absent for a such nice DAW. I was thinking about Cubase as well before purchasing Reason but I gave it a try. I wanted Cubase because movies soundtrack producers like Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL are using it :mrgreen:

I wanted also to have experience in making soundtracks ^^

dusan.cani

02 Feb 2019

Boombastix wrote:
02 Feb 2019

Exactly ! Mute single notes should have been included within basic sequencer tools as well. We have Reason version 10 but the sequencer still hasn't fully matured after those years...Such a basic features for editing and composing we are talking about over and over...Why Props doesn't listen what users REALLY need for comfortable editing workflow ?

Maybe It's time to collect all these issues with user responses and present it all for Props so they could see what's going on...If they want to make software that si not struggle to work with they should listen to us...

• Information