What Are Your Most Wanted Features You'd Like To See In Reason

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.

What Is Your Most Wanted Feature for Reason?

Poll ended at 01 Mar 2019

Updated Midi Editor (Give us a good 15 / 16 features here)
10%
Enhanced Audio Editing Capabilities (Such as Punch In/Out, Auto-Crossfading, Tempo Detect, Bounce to Mono etc)
10%
Undo Events List (Searchable and possibly Customizable (take undo types out))
2%
Track Folders
9%
Track Freeze
9%
Time Markers (With Shortcuts to Skip to Parts etc)
3%
Notepad
2%
Curved Automation
8%
Cloning of Clips
2%
Improved Sequencer
11%
Collapsable Subgroups on the Main Mixer
4%
VCA Faders on the Main Mixer
1%
Group Editing
2%
Manual Parameter Inputs and Copy and Paste Them Too
2%
Combinator 2
9%
Thor 2
2%
NN-XT 2
3%
Scales and Chords Player 2
4%
Spectrum EQ 2 (Open Multiple At Once and Save Settings for a start)
4%
More Themes and the ability to have Themes affect the Mixer
2%

Total votes: 253
Creativemind

30 Jan 2019

Hi!

I decided to make a poll. I know many have been done before and I suppose this won't be the last.

You can choose your 5 most wanted features.

I left video support off the list because that should be the last thing they add, not for at least a couple more whole versions yet, there's more workflow features, audio and midi editing features and device updates needed before a whole other format, and you can get a VST for video if on Mac, possibly Windows too.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2019

Nice to see a poll. Thanks. Bump for more visibility! :)
(and boy I had 10 checkboxes initially, it was quite hard to narrow it down)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

PhillipOrdonez

30 Jan 2019

So hard to narrow it down to just 5!

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2019

FWIW, I'm missing the better browser TM in that list.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Creativemind

31 Jan 2019

diminished wrote:
30 Jan 2019
What would you like to see in a better browser?

I would like to be able to Sync Browsers which was originally on that list (but with having only 20, you have to narrow it down) so wherever you navigate in the browser on the sequencer for instance will be replicated in the rack and vice versa. The amount of times I go to the rack after navigating to patches on the sequencer to then go to the rack and the browser is completely different. Same with the windows, Sync Windows so if you label, move, colour or mute / solo any track, all 3 windows do the same on the fly.

I would also like to see a refresh button on folders in the browser. So if I add some samples say to a folder I am already inside of in the browser, instead of having to go out of the folder and back in again for them to show up, there was a simple icon of some sort you could click that refreshed that folder and to go one further, whichever new items had been added to that folder then showed up in a different colour so you could easily locate / see them.

motuscott

31 Jan 2019

Interesting choices.
Easy to narrow it down for me, being a bash it out on acoustic, electro, mechanical instruments and use the techy stuff to fill in the huge gaps in my talent/knowledge department.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

diminished
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2019

Creativemind wrote:
31 Jan 2019
diminished wrote:
30 Jan 2019
What would you like to see in a better browser?

I would like to be able to Sync Browsers which was originally on that list (but with having only 20, you have to narrow it down) so wherever you navigate in the browser on the sequencer for instance will be replicated in the rack and vice versa. The amount of times I go to the rack after navigating to patches on the sequencer to then go to the rack and the browser is completely different. Same with the windows, Sync Windows so if you label, move, colour or mute / solo any track, all 3 windows do the same on the fly.

I would also like to see a refresh button on folders in the browser. So if I add some samples say to a folder I am already inside of in the browser, instead of having to go out of the folder and back in again for them to show up, there was a simple icon of some sort you could click that refreshed that folder and to go one further, whichever new items had been added to that folder then showed up in a different colour so you could easily locate / see them.
All good points! Haven't ever thought about a refresh button, but it makes so much sense.
First of all, "Collapse/expand all" is a must.
I'd also love to see a tag based search system, so whenever I enter "filter" for instance, I get all the devices (RE, legacy PH, VST) listet which filter, as well as combinator patches included in refills and PH's soundbanks. Maybe even instrument patches like "Filtered noise riser.repatch" or "Highpass 80s pad" or something. And then options to fine tune the search (exclude patches/devices, reshuffle/randomise listing order..). Loopcloud's browser was an epiphany for me.

Creativemind

31 Jan 2019

diminished wrote:
31 Jan 2019
All good points! Haven't ever thought about a refresh button, but it makes so much sense.
First of all, "Collapse/expand all" is a must.
I'd also love to see a tag based search system, so whenever I enter "filter" for instance, I get all the devices (RE, legacy PH, VST) listet which filter, as well as combinator patches included in refills and PH's soundbanks. Maybe even instrument patches like "Filtered noise riser.repatch" or "Highpass 80s pad" or something. And then options to fine tune the search (exclude patches/devices, reshuffle/randomise listing order..). Loopcloud's browser was an epiphany for me.
Great ideas those. By collapse / expand all, you didn't mean (try) F3?

I would also prefer to not have VST's and Re's all jumbled together in the browser. The menu access doesn't bother me too much that way but in the browser it does. I want to just go straight to the vst part and then scroll through that if it's a vst I want. Even have a keyboard shortcut to skip straight to each section perhaps?

Molotovbeatz

01 Feb 2019

Hi,

Is it possible also to add into the pool the feature to highlight the played key notes from the keyboard on Piano roll edit mode? From a FL Studio user perspective this was for me very useful when I wanted to edit the piano roll, to know on the screen what key notes are highlighted. Now I need to do it blindly :(

This is the related thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510843

The example below:

Re8et
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2019

:thumbs_up: Good pool , Midi editor seems to be leading the pack so far. I find the latest multi-lane editing very useful.
I guess just Midi editing alone would need another pool of its own,
I really would like to see all midi devices/audio devices usb/fw/etc preferences panel updated, which
does not fall I think under this category, and would be nice to see, just as "general preferences improvement"?

Or something like that. Keep up the good work :puf_smile:

pongasoft
RE Developer

02 Feb 2019

I wished one of the entry was: "High Resolution support".

xylyx

03 Feb 2019

Was tricky narrowing it down but my number 1 addition would be midi VST support (without midi loopback methods).

EdGrip

05 Feb 2019

It's quite a random poll!

I'm guessing at what "group editing" means - I've taken it to mean you can edit one clip and have the edit reflected in all copies of that clip. Maybe I'm thinking of clip cloning - who really knows? I voted for it anyway.

Track Freeze, obviously - AS IF everybody didn't vote for that!

Manual parameter input - super boring and a bit niche, but by the same token it should be an easy one to implement. I find I use it more than I expect when I'm using Studio One Prime for audio editing.

Improved Sequencer - very general, that. I'd like to be able to make tracks as big on the screen as I can in Studio One, although my other bugbear (navigation) has been vastly improved in version 9. It's still not as good as Studio One in that regard, though.

Collapsible subgroups on the main mixer - this is the same thing as group tracks, track folders, etc. So I voted for this, but meant all related things.

Jagwah

10 Feb 2019

Creativemind wrote:
30 Jan 2019
I left video support off the list because that should be the last thing they add...

Creativemind

10 Feb 2019

pongasoft wrote:
02 Feb 2019
I wished one of the entry was: "High Resolution support".
Sorry about that. I would have put 25 on there if I could but you're limited to 20 entries.

I would've added Sync Browsers on the Fly, Sync Windows on the Fly, High Resolution Support, Macros and Scalable Rack Devices (Or Zoom in on the Rack) probably had I been able to add 25.

Creativemind

10 Feb 2019

xylyx wrote:
03 Feb 2019
Was tricky narrowing it down but my number 1 addition would be midi VST support (without midi loopback methods).
Is that the ability to use like "Players" like VST's such as Xfer Records Cthulu?

Oquasec

10 Feb 2019

Reason needs a thing that shows what note you held on to tbh. Anything else they add besides that is bells & whistles you can find in rewire.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Creativemind

10 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
01 Feb 2019
Hi,

Is it possible also to add into the pool the feature to highlight the played key notes from the keyboard on Piano roll edit mode? From a FL Studio user perspective this was for me very useful when I wanted to edit the piano roll, to know on the screen what key notes are highlighted. Now I need to do it blindly :(

This is the related thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510843

The example below:

That would come under Updated Midi Editor.

My main midi editor wants are the one you mentioned plus...

Mute / unmute notes
Note displays on both the back of the piano and on the notes themselves (toggle on / off independently)
A keyboard shortcut to send note/s up / down an octave and also to the beginning of a clip and possibly the end (throw that in but not sure if it'd be very needed)
Slice by grid
Join notes (select or box around the notes on the same row to select and ctrl j (should even work if notes are spaced apart with no unselected notes in the middle)
Midi chase
Remember last note length
Colouring of notes
A toggle on / of button for trigger notes while editing and take the preference out the preferences
A quick easy drop down menu to change midi clip
Also, the ability to paste say like a whole row of 16th notes or 8th notes (whichever you choose) from the beginning of that clip to the end and even the ability to paste a row with every other one missing. Would make it easy to do off the beat bass lines in dance tracks if you could do one with every other one missing. Paste a row of 8th notes with every other one missing and then nudge the note over a 1/8th grid division (as I'm guessing it'd paste note 1 and 3 etc but you want note 2 and 4 if that makes sense) and hey presto, 1 clips worth of a bass line with notes on the off beats. Then you could ctrl a to select all and knock them down to 1/16th notes if you so wished. Which leads me onto another keyboard shortcut I'd like to see, make all the notes the same length without having to go up the top to type it in and press ENTER.

xylyx

10 Feb 2019

Creativemind wrote:
10 Feb 2019
xylyx wrote:
03 Feb 2019
Is that the ability to use like "Players" like VST's such as Xfer Records Cthulu?
Yes, although my main reason for wanting it is so that I can use the Thesys step sequencer, which is like the Matrix on steroids.

Creativemind

10 Feb 2019

xylyx wrote:
10 Feb 2019
Creativemind wrote:
10 Feb 2019

Yes, although my main reason for wanting it is so that I can use the Thesys step sequencer, which is like the Matrix on steroids.
My god that looks amazing, what a mammoth plug-in that is. Might be on my future purchase list.

dioxide

10 Feb 2019

I don't see Clip Launcher in this list. Are you insane?!

xylyx

10 Feb 2019

Creativemind wrote:
10 Feb 2019
xylyx wrote:
10 Feb 2019

My god that looks amazing, what a mammoth plug-in that is. Might be on my future purchase list.
Yep. If anyone could make a Player or RE that replicates Thesys, then I'd buy it immediately. Tried Kompulsion hoping it would be similar but it wasn't :(

Jagwah

13 Feb 2019

I don't see Video Support in this list. Are you insane?!

aeox
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2019

"Updated Midi Editor (Give us a good 15 / 16 features here)"

Is pretty vague and that's a lot of features to add. I'm more a fan of quality over quantity. Which specific features would people like to see?

EdGrip

13 Feb 2019

Tell you what is a nuisance:

Sometimes I want to open the most recent project.
Sometimes I want to start a new project.
So whichever option I choose in general preferences, I will be annoying myself about half of the time. Fair enough. Reason is not telepathic and I am capricious.
What could mitigate this is if Reason could present me with a little dialogue which asks me what I want to do, when I start the program - much like Studio One does.

But! What makes this double frustrating is that there's no option to open a new or existing project in place of the one I'm currently looking at. I don't want this one, Reason - that's why I'm opening another one!
I DO NOT need you to keep this project open, hoovering up all my DSPs, whilst opening another one on top of it so I have to navigate back to the first project, and close it. I never need you to do that. I don't need both projects open. That has literally never been what I want.
I only need the one I've just opened.
That's the only project I need.
Stop it.
Aaaargh.

• Information