turning knob sounds "steppy"

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
gkillmaster

31 Jan 2019

I'm taking a tutorial on Complex-1 and in the video, turning knobs results in a very smooth transition in the sound but for me, the sound is steppy and laggy. I've tried adjusting the sample rate but nothing I do seems to help. I have a powerful Mac computer (i7 w 24 gigs RAM) and haven't experienced this issue before.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Greg K.

bitley

31 Jan 2019

Draw curves and it will be smooth if you hold shift and give the engine some time. Or use envelopes.

gkillmaster

31 Jan 2019

bitley wrote:
31 Jan 2019
Draw curves and it will be smooth if you hold shift and give the engine some time. Or use envelopes.
Thanks! Still curious why it isn't smooth with the mouse for me though.

bitley

31 Jan 2019

Bad audio settings? Impossible to know with such a deep synth

ScuzzyEye

31 Jan 2019

gkillmaster wrote:
31 Jan 2019
bitley wrote:
31 Jan 2019
Thanks! Still curious why it isn't smooth with the mouse for me though.
You might have a different precision set for your default mouse tracking. If the person who made the video had theirs set to very precise, each jump of the knob would be much smaller.

gkillmaster

31 Jan 2019

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the help. I think I figured out what part of it is. I work with the cables display on. As soon as I turn it off, the dial is smooth. The tutorial has the cables on so could be my mouse I guess. Just using OSX mouse settings so I may try and download a driver for my Logitech model and see if that helps.

ScuzzyEye

31 Jan 2019

With cables shown, means it's a custom display, and they have different rules about how the mouse moves. Did you try holding shift before clicking to turn the knob?

gkillmaster

01 Feb 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
31 Jan 2019
With cables shown, means it's a custom display, and they have different rules about how the mouse moves. Did you try holding shift before clicking to turn the knob?
Yes, thanks, I tried that and it didn't help.

ScuzzyEye

08 Feb 2019

gkillmaster wrote:
01 Feb 2019
ScuzzyEye wrote:
31 Jan 2019
Yes, thanks, I tried that and it didn't help.
Thinking about it. The smoothness of a mouse movement while the custom display is shown, may be directly proportional to the resolution of your display. The display is updating the value based on how many pixels your mouse moves over. So different resolutions will have more or less steps for the same distance.

But the best answer is to still record the automation on the cable-less panel, so you get Reason's actual mouse tracking, not the custom display pixel tracking.

• Information