What are you overcoming or having trouble with, and trying to improve on?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2019

I really need to home in on creating strong melodies and just composition in general.

Composition was how I got started but DAWs and Reason changed that and my focus shifted towards the sounds, timbres and use of effects.

I feel composition and arrangement is my weak point now.

How bout u?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2019

Lyrics. I am totally crap at words to songs (Which is weird as I’m good at writing letters, stories and reports). In the last 34 years I’ve written two songs I’m actually happy with. Music on the other hand is no problem at all.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2019

I’m trying to get back to the reason I first started making music, which was to have fun being creative and don’t worry about things to Improve.
The less I worry about the result the more fun I have and the better results I get.
It’s kind of a weird way of going about things, but at the moment it’s working for me.

Zac

30 Jan 2019

avasopht wrote:
30 Jan 2019
I really need to home in on creating strong melodies and just composition in general.

Composition was how I got started but DAWs and Reason changed that and my focus shifted towards the sounds, timbres and use of effects.

I feel composition and arrangement is my weak point now.

How bout u?
^^This is pretty much the same as I feel about my situation.

Also, I'm in a house share right now and have very sensitive old housemates so even mixing on my dt770pro headphones winds them up.

PhillipOrdonez

30 Jan 2019

Mixing, the eternal quest.

jappe

30 Jan 2019

MrFigg wrote:
30 Jan 2019
Lyrics. I am totally crap at words to songs (Which is weird as I’m good at writing letters, stories and reports). In the last 34 years I’ve written two songs I’m actually happy with. Music on the other hand is no problem at all.
Lyrics here too!
I need to get a better feeling for the English language somehow.
For some unknown reason singing in my native language feels awkward.

A workaround is to use some old enough poem for the lyrics.

The Swedish EBM band Covenant did that successfully with this song:

Or generate the poem: http://www.elsewhere.org/hbzpoetry/

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2019

I always end up with perfectly mixed 12 to 16 bar loops of 10 to 20 instruments and lanes and I hate myself for it.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

jappe

30 Jan 2019

avasopht wrote:
30 Jan 2019

How bout u?

Composition is challenging for me too.

I've had more success when I don't rush it and take the time to make the rhythm track almost complete before I proceed.

Worst case is when I make a segment of the song with all tracks, automation included. I just seem to be drained of energy to proceed from there.

Melodies are never a problem for me these days since I started practising this workflow:

1. make the beat.
2. proceed with experimenting with chord progressions and chord rhythm in short looped segment.
For each segment:
a) slow down the tempo enough to enable you to follow the chord changes.
b) loop the segment and experiment with a lead melody.
Sometimes a segment is only 1 chord, sometimes more.

The thing here is that you really don't know what the melody is going to be on the macro scale while you're working with it segment by segment on the micro scale. You only know that there's a good chance that it's going to be good.

Marco Raaphorst

30 Jan 2019

I have many ideas laying around. Most of them are years old. I use complex harmonies. It's poppy material but I don't want it to sound too sweet. need to sing it but I am not a singer, more a guitar player. I am planning to finish at least 8 tracks next 3 months. Hope to find something of an unique style, want to blend old with new. Me playing guitars, bass, shakers and drummachines and synthi overlays.

My weak points are singing and finishing songs in a way I like it. Am into Arial Pink for some time. Perfect pop not sounding too perfect. Love that.

MannequinRaces

30 Jan 2019

diminished wrote:
30 Jan 2019
I always end up with perfectly mixed 12 to 16 bar loops of 10 to 20 instruments and lanes and I hate myself for it.
This is me to a tee as well. Learning to stretch songs out is a major problem for me

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
30 Jan 2019
diminished wrote:
30 Jan 2019
This is me to a tee as well. Learning to stretch songs out is a major problem for me
Yep
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

30 Jan 2019

Keeping spliff lit while singing lead. Also tinkling ice in high ball glass keeps bleeding into lead vox track.
So, lifestyle engineering?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

WarStar

30 Jan 2019

The primary weakness I have is drum transitions. Not EDM style drums, which is more kick/bass drum crescendo type of thing, but more so live-kit type of style rolls and transitions. I'm just not super great at quick finger drumming. I can hear in my head the transitions but it's difficult to get down on the track.

I also have problems in deciding when a song is complete lol

aeox
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2019

Everything!

rgdaniel

30 Jan 2019

motuscott wrote:
30 Jan 2019
Keeping spliff lit while singing lead. Also tinkling ice in high ball glass keeps bleeding into lead vox track.
So, lifestyle engineering?
See, THIS is why we need a Like button...

estuary

30 Jan 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
30 Jan 2019
Mixing, the eternal quest.
Right ... with all the stuffs and tools we have ... I am getting too much picky with sounds/mix.
As someone told me on the studio yesterday, mix is never finished just abandoned.

Dante

30 Jan 2019

In the vocal/lyrics space : PHRASING - don't underestimate it. Whether to jam those 2 syllables in one beat, or put each syllable on its own beat. etc etc. Makes a HUGE diff to the impact of a vocal line.

eusti

30 Jan 2019

I feel I have plenty of weaknesses in regards to making music... But as I'm collaborating with an old friend of mine again, I can relax about some of those... My drum & bass programming and my mixing are probably my worst... But luckily my friend is good at those... So, I get to concentrate on things that I'd love to improve instead composing, arranging, lyrics and vocals... That is already so much... :P

D.

• Information