How to get this effect without the VST?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Wobbleburger

25 Jan 2019

Hey guys,

I was considering buying Manipulator: https://polyversemusic.com/products/manipulator/

It's a very cool vocal manipulator. Seems like it's heavily grain-based. I could be wrong though... Could I achieve these same style effects with Grain/Neptune? Curious about which devices/rack extensions could pull this off. Apologies on the forum section as I wasn't sure where to post: VST/rack extension etc. Hoping this works ok.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

Loque

25 Jan 2019

I hear pitch-shifting, formant-filtering and vocoding. Can be done with Neptune alone, but i am not sure you will get it in that quality.

Edit: Just checked it. It works better than expected. The rest is source material, modulation, playing and maybe some EQ and stuff. Just use those controls and play your keyboard while Neptune is set for midi input to Voice Synth.
betterthanexpected.jpg
betterthanexpected.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 493 times
Reason12, Win10

Wobbleburger

25 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
25 Jan 2019
I hear pitch-shifting, formant-filtering and vocoding. Can be done with Neptune alone, but i am not sure you will get it in that quality.

Edit: Just checked it. It works better than expected. The rest is source material, modulation, playing and maybe some EQ and stuff. Just use those controls and play your keyboard while Neptune is set for midi input to Voice Synth.
betterthanexpected.jpg
Nice! I just got a Shure mic and an audio interface. I haven't messed with Neptune but I loved the vocoder. Is the Propellerhead tutorial for Neptune decent or should I look elsewhere? I want to learn it inside and out. I don't understand the 'catch zones' and how to make things just all autotune to F minor for example. Looks decent tho for sure.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.

Loque

25 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
25 Jan 2019
Loque wrote:
25 Jan 2019

betterthanexpected.jpg
Nice! I just got a Shure mic and an audio interface. I haven't messed with Neptune but I loved the vocoder. Is the Propellerhead tutorial for Neptune decent or should I look elsewhere? I want to learn it inside and out. I don't understand the 'catch zones' and how to make things just all autotune to F minor for example. Looks decent tho for sure.
I dunno if there is a tutorial. The manual is pretty good to start.

There is a menu for your catch zones, where you can select the tuning or just create your own. You can also change the speed from a natural to a more robotic sound. Just play around and hear what it is doing.

Your mic is enuf. In the video they used a crapPhone. The vocoder in Neptune just needs a modulator (your voice).
Reason12, Win10

Wobbleburger

25 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
25 Jan 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
25 Jan 2019

There is a menu for your catch zones, where you can select the tuning or just create your own. You can also change the speed from a natural to a more robotic sound. Just play around and hear what it is doing.

Your mic is enuf. In the video they used a crapPhone. The vocoder in Neptune just needs a modulator (your voice).
Thanks... yea, the manual! Of course! :puf_bigsmile: I'm thinking Neptune + Grain (somehow) could get similar results.

Loque

25 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
25 Jan 2019
Loque wrote:
25 Jan 2019

Thanks... yea, the manual! Of course! :puf_bigsmile: I'm thinking Neptune + Grain (somehow) could get similar results.
You can do nice pitch-shifting and granular stuff with Grain ofc. You can also try to load up your sample in Europa and use the Formant Filter - than you have pitch-shifting and Formant-Filter. Would be interesting how a vocoder would sound after that ;)

For experimenting stuff you can use the Vocoder in manual mode and modulate the bands from the backside - gets some very unusual vocoding stuff.

And no one stops you from combining all of that stuff.
Reason12, Win10

Oquasec

26 Jan 2019

Something really retarded I would suggest is read the manual of a vst regardless of whether or not you're using it.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Marc64

27 Jan 2019

Also for the wider effect you can use the WIDER vst on the same page, it's free.

• Information