Pointless Distribution

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
minilog

24 Jan 2019

I thought it was cool to have music on several platforms but now I see it as kind of pointless. If somebody really likes your music then they should be happy following you down the rabbit hole to Bandcamp. What are your thoughts? I'll have an album ready to launch on Friday and I think I'm just gonna stick with BC. It feels more intimate and special than having my shit flung everywhere like it came out of a monkey's ass.

dioxide

24 Jan 2019

Ha ha. Agreed, Bandcamp is the way to go.

ScuzzyEye

24 Jan 2019

If I like an artist, I'll visit their Bandcamp page. But for discovering new stuff I use the streaming "radio" function, seeding it with an artist I already like.

platzangst

31 Jan 2019

While I buy a lot of my music through Bandcamp these days, and prefer it over many other avenues as a consumer, as an artist I think it's not wise to categorically dismiss any other potential avenues for exposure. Granted, there is a bit of a work/reward ratio to factor in - if you're on the very margins of popularity (as I am), covering every avenue may be a lot of work for ultimately not much reward. On the other hand, maximizing the number of places your music can be heard increases the chances that someone who might like what you do actually finds your work. Yes, if someone likes your work well enough, they can probably be persuaded to look you up on Bandcamp. But that presumes they know about your music in the first place...

minilog

31 Jan 2019

platzangst wrote:
31 Jan 2019
Granted, there is a bit of a work/reward ratio to factor in - if you're on the very margins of popularity (as I am), covering every avenue may be a lot of work for ultimately not much reward.
CD Baby is running a $29 promo + $20 for a required UPC bar code for digital distro. There's pretty much no reward in it for me but I guess you have a point. I saw a recent spike in my Spotify stats from my last project which was a nice surprise. What's $49 in the long run anyways.

PhillipOrdonez

31 Jan 2019

minilog wrote:
31 Jan 2019
platzangst wrote:
31 Jan 2019
Granted, there is a bit of a work/reward ratio to factor in - if you're on the very margins of popularity (as I am), covering every avenue may be a lot of work for ultimately not much reward.
CD Baby is running a $29 promo + $20 for a required UPC bar code for digital distro. There's pretty much no reward in it for me but I guess you have a point. I saw a recent spike in my Spotify stats from my last project which was a nice surprise. What's $49 in the long run anyways.
There are free options, you know?

minilog

31 Jan 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
31 Jan 2019
I always thought nothing in life is free. Care to share?

PhillipOrdonez

31 Jan 2019

minilog wrote:
31 Jan 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
31 Jan 2019
I always thought nothing in life is free. Care to share?
Routenote distributes to a bunch of stores and takes a % of the sales/stream royalties. The free option only supports 320 MP3, but that's where Bandcamp comes in with lossless files.

• Information