Got Eurorack? Show your Modular Grid!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
selig
RE Developer

22 Jan 2019

Crumbfort wrote:
22 Jan 2019
Just an update... Filter 8... I did go to there, and it's dope :puf_bigsmile:
Great to know - I'm presently "fighting" over HP space vs power consumption, which is spinning me in different directions.

On my personal journey, I now have 176 HP of wide open space just waiting to be filled. ;)
So my actual current rack looks like this:

But my current "dream" is looking a bit like this, but keeps changing. I will make a trip to Control in Brooklyn in the next few days to get started with an oscillator and/or filter and maybe a few others (will get advice from the smart folks there).

There's another smaller mixer I'm considering from Happy Nerding that's got similar functionality in 8 fewer HP (but the same power consumption). So who knows. I only know I'm liking both of these amazing oscillators, and also Stages and Batumi for control, and the USB interface from Expert Sleepers to "talk" to Reason. From there, it's anyone's guess.
Selig Audio, LLC

jayhosking

22 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
22 Jan 2019

On my personal journey, I now have 176 HP of wide open space just waiting to be filled. ;)
Just wondering how you feel about the RackBrute, since you've purchased it. It's about the right size and shape for my tastes, and elevated/manipulable so I can slide something a bit under it, but does it feel like a decent quality build? Is it nice/pretty to have in your room? Is it really only worth it if you're incorporating it with the MiniBrute 2?

God help me, I ordered a custom Mutable Instruments Clouds, and it's got me thinking about setting up a modular effects unit (including Clouds, the Strymon Magneto, etc.). Plus, I could load one of those Behringer synths into there. But the only RackBrute units around here are available as an order only, so I thought I'd ask you about it.

Crumbfort

22 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
22 Jan 2019
Crumbfort wrote:
22 Jan 2019
Just an update... Filter 8... I did go to there, and it's dope :puf_bigsmile:
Great to know - I'm presently "fighting" over HP space vs power consumption, which is spinning me in different directions.

But my current "dream" is looking a bit like this, but keeps changing. I will make a trip to Control in Brooklyn in the next few days to get started with an oscillator and/or filter and maybe a few others (will get advice from the smart folks there).

There's another smaller mixer I'm considering from Happy Nerding that's got similar functionality in 8 fewer HP (but the same power consumption). So who knows. I only know I'm liking both of these amazing oscillators, and also Stages and Batumi for control, and the USB interface from Expert Sleepers to "talk" to Reason. From there, it's anyone's guess.
Wow, that looks like a really fun setup. Some really interesting/fun choices there. I did a little messing around on eurorack based on that setup (hope you don't mind!) and came up with something like this:

Scrapped the passive mults (maybe you can use some passive splitters?):

And switched the mixer out for the happy nerding one. Also threw in a Pam's New Workout as that module is so damn handy. Took out one of the buff mults, because perhaps you'd be set with just 2? Not sure. Also put the SPO in there, really handy module. Hah, I dunno! I definitely do NOT want to tell you your business, as I'm certainly no eurorack expert myself. Just some random thoughts.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

selig
RE Developer

22 Jan 2019

Crumbfort wrote: And switched the mixer out for the happy nerding one. Also threw in a Pam's New Workout as that module is so damn handy. Took out one of the buff mults, because perhaps you'd be set with just 2? Not sure. Also put the SPO in there, really handy module. Hah, I dunno! I definitely do NOT want to tell you your business, as I'm certainly no eurorack expert myself. Just some random thoughts.
I enjoy seeing other options! I’ll probably go slowly at first with the obvious modules to get me started.

Still not sure about the mixer choice, and there’s also the Xaoc mixer that looks very cool (but uses more power).

I like having the send and HP volume on the Toppobrillo mixer… so many options!

Should also point out I’ll be using this for more ambient washes since I also have the MiniBrute 2S.

Also planning on the ES-8 allowing me to use Reason modules to send CV to the rack (and send CV from the rack to Reason), and Reason, the MiniBrute 2S, plus the Novation SKIII keyboard all have sequencing built in so I don’t need to address that with the modular.

Really wanted the Magneto, but it takes up so much space and power I couldn’t use both of the oscillators I really wanted. SO hard to narrow these choices down - I DO see an additional rack in my future… (#hooked)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

01 Feb 2019

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 8.43.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 8.43.11 AM.png (1017.06 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/802366
Finally getting this baby filled up, after much planning and multiple trips to Control in Brooklyn. The QPAS filter is on pre-order, should be shipped mid Feb (two weeks) and there's still a few HP left to fill! But in messing around with this I'm getting some lovely sounds.

It's basically two stereo "voices", since the Novation SL MkIII has two complete CV outputs of Mod/Gate/Note CV (plus clock for the Quad LFO/ENV). I also find myself "borrowing" the LFOs from the MiniBrute 2s from time to time, so there are plenty of modulators (which I love). The Novation sequencer is working fantastic with this setup so no need for a rack based sequencer (saving precious space). Plus, I also have the Zoom L20 as the main mixer for the setup, so I ditched the rack mixer as well.

Here's what it looks like in "real life" (picking up Maths later today, so that slot and the QPAS slot is still empty):
Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 9.01.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 9.01.32 AM.png (948.07 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
Selig Audio, LLC

Crumbfort

01 Feb 2019

That is AWESOME, man! Big time congrats! Looks like a really fun/powerful system you've got going. Definitely interested to hear your thoughts about the QPAS when you get it!
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

selig
RE Developer

01 Feb 2019

Crumbfort wrote:That is AWESOME, man! Big time congrats! Looks like a really fun/powerful system you've got going. Definitely interested to hear your thoughts about the QPAS when you get it!
Will do.

One thing that I found interesting (although not totally surprising) was how much things changed after I talked to knowledgeable folks and got hands on with all the options.

For example, I initially checked out Stages and Batumi and ended up with two modules I had never considered - Melekko’s Quad Env and Quad LFO. In fact, the only module that survived through many incarnations of my modulargrid rack is Intellijel’s Quad VCA!

I have to say how great it was having Control as my local Eurorack based store. Everyone I dealt with there is very knowledgeable and had their own perspective which I found to challenge my expectations in a healthy way (same as they do here). I don’t think I would be nearly as happy with my setup if I was left to my own devices… ;)

Side note: I now how to wonder if the modulargrid rankings are more based more on the idealized racks folks build in a vacuum than the opinions of the folks who actually own the modules - personally speaking, I would have rated modules very differently before I had “hands on” experience with them than after.

Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

01 Feb 2019

Congrats! Intellijel and Malekko are getting your $,$$$ right now. Make Noise pulling ahead soon...
I always wanted that E352 (Divkid) ... maybe, someday.

"still a few HP left to fill"
- I started out thinking "small modules" - but switched to "the right modules"
It turns out - imo - the BEST modules - the useable modules - take up mucho HP. They just do. .... so...
HP be damned!
The QPAS filter is on pre-order, should be shipped mid Feb (two weeks) and there's still a few HP left to fill!
Pre-ordering soon myself. Im just trying to pick the Fastest Source.
I also find myself "borrowing" the LFOs from the MiniBrute 2s from time to time,
You may soon start to change your mind on this. It's coming on my 1st year in modular.
I started in March '18 with the 2s and a 6u. They are still attached - but rarely interconnected now.
That way - the M 2s is Free to be the M 2s. Eventually, there'll be a 3U below the 6U.
Let me know when that happens for you.

Congrats on Maths w/the New Look!
selig wrote:
01 Feb 2019
(picking up Maths later today, so that slot and the QPAS slot is still empty):

selig
RE Developer

01 Feb 2019

O1B wrote:You may soon start to change your mind on this. It's coming on my 1st year in modular.
I started in March '18 with the 2s and a 6u. They are still attached - but rarely interconnected now.
That way - the M 2s is Free to be the M 2s. Eventually, there'll be a 3U below the 6U.
Let me know when that happens for you.

Congrats on Maths w/the New Look!
Always good to hear from those on the trail ahead, with much valuable experience to share.

As for the 3U below the 6U, I’ve actually already thought of that with so many modules that didn’t make the cut. Maybe even a second 6U…and a 3U? ;)

I have my eye on effects modules like Magneto, Black Hole, and Morphagene, oscillators like Cs-L, Odessa, and E370, filters like Bark Filter Processor, Stereo Dipole, Belgrad, and Filter 8, and so much more I’m not aware of or are yet to come.

Good times ahead!

Selig Audio, LLC

Crumbfort

16 Feb 2019

So how's the eurorack been, Selig? Did you get your QPAS yet? Still waiting on my pre-order from perfect circuit. The morphagene (if you're still considering it) is an endless source of awesome. Such a fun module.

selig
RE Developer

16 Feb 2019

Crumbfort wrote:So how's the eurorack been, Selig? Did you get your QPAS yet? Still waiting on my pre-order from perfect circuit. The morphagene (if you're still considering it) is an endless source of awesome. Such a fun module.
Just got the QPAS yesterday from Control - would have had it sooner if I wasn’t traveling! My first Eurorack is over 90% full - waiting to see what I miss before spending any more $$$.

Quick Rundown:
ShapeShifter dual osc, Morganmatron dual filter
Cloud Terrarium dual osc, QPAS dual filter
4x LFO
4x ENV
4x VCA
Maths
Attenuators
Mults
Adder/Inverter

Two stereo audio outputs feed the main mixer, where FX may be added. Basically two complete monophonic voices.

I use the Novation SL mkIII keyboard for sequencing (and also the sequencer in the MiniBrute 2s), and for conversion into Eurorack world there are two channels of mod/gate/note, plus 1 clock channel for a total of 7 1/8” jacks.

Selig Audio, LLC

Crumbfort

16 Feb 2019

Noice! Super awesome, man. Your next case awaits! :puf_bigsmile:

Crumbfort

16 Feb 2019

My rack has changed quite a bit recently:

And more changes planned in the near future. Gonna end up something likes this, I think:

Tides v2 is just dope.

Jagwah

17 Feb 2019

I'm waiting on this synchronisation bad boy which doesn't exist in the universe yet but I have one pre ordered, then I'll be expanding to my new skiff with lovely chunky wooden sides. Looking forward to it and sharing info about it. Planning one row audio modules and two rows video modules, but may take advantage of my old skiff as to my surprise not too many modules need to run in the same skiff on the same power to work together.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... ZRtdl8WnfO

Crumbfort wrote:
16 Feb 2019
My rack has changed quite a bit recently...
If you are using actual blank panels they should work great with your favorite company logo stickers if you have any small enough, some modules come with them when buying new. I also have old Reason stickers lying around eager to be used.

Nice rack btw!!!

Jagwah

17 Feb 2019

selig wrote:
16 Feb 2019
Just got the QPAS yesterday from Control - would have had it sooner if I wasn’t traveling! My first Eurorack is over 90% full - waiting to see what I miss before spending any more $$$.

Quick Rundown:
4x LFO
4x ENV
4x VCA
Maths
Attenuators
Mults
Adder/Inverter

Two stereo audio outputs feed the main mixer, where FX may be added. Basically two complete monophonic voices.

I use the Novation SL mkIII keyboard for sequencing (and also the sequencer in the MiniBrute 2s), and for conversion into Eurorack world there are two channels of mod/gate/note, plus 1 clock channel for a total of 7 1/8” jacks.

Really nice dude, but what about marrying the CV world in Reason with your lovely gear? The Expert Sleepers ES- series are popular. I haven't quite worked mine out fully yet (ES-8) but it is responding and I'm eager to get it working. 😊

O1B

17 Feb 2019

Two strikes on Control. (Ctrl-mod https://www.ctrl-mod.com vs ControlVoltage https://www.controlvoltage.net)
1. I ordered two QPas but when I called about shipping.... I was ... transferred to the warehouse...
no bueno. They did ship, but...

2. My girl friend went down to pick up 1 to 2 powered Pod60s, yesterday... The web says in stock... the item was 'NOT IN STOCK' ..
no bueno....

But, Nahl was friendly, and gave us a Valentines Day 20% discount. (I don't know how long it's running.)

selig wrote:
16 Feb 2019
Crumbfort wrote:So how's the eurorack been, Selig? Did you get your QPAS yet? Still waiting on my pre-order from perfect circuit. The morphagene (if you're still considering it) is an endless source of awesome. Such a fun module.

selig
RE Developer

17 Feb 2019

Jagwah wrote:
selig wrote:
16 Feb 2019

Quick Rundown:
4x LFO
4x ENV
4x VCA
Maths
Attenuators
Mults
Adder/Inverter

Really nice dude, but what about marrying the CV world in Reason with your lovely gear? The Expert Sleepers ES- series are popular. I haven't quite worked mine out fully yet (ES-8) but it is responding and I'm eager to get it working. [emoji4]
With the current setup I have two voices going from Reason into the Eurorack (note/gate/mod) including clock (all from the Novation SL MkIII), which Reason can fully access.

So I’m covered getting note etc out of Reason into the rack, though any CV is not at audio rate. Going the other direction will take an ES-8 and another free USB port, which will probably happen in the big FX expansion I’m thinking…

Selig Audio, LLC

Faastwalker

20 Feb 2019

Nice rack, Selig ;) That's looking very interesting. The QPAS sounds amazing.

I'm starting small. But every module towards filling up the Happy Ending has me thinking bigger :D

Crumbfort

20 Feb 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
20 Feb 2019

I'm starting small. But every module towards filling up the Happy Ending has me thinking bigger :D

Niiiccceee! How are you liking the phenol?

Catblack

20 Feb 2019

I've just decided this week to start investing in Eurorack. I'm probably going to order a happy ending and then a Clouds and Ear module so I can play around. And a Happy Ending so I can make a simple starter case out of wood.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Catblack

20 Feb 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
20 Feb 2019

What is this stand you are using?
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Faastwalker

20 Feb 2019

Crumbfort wrote:
20 Feb 2019
Niiiccceee! How are you liking the phenol?
It's great. It ticked a lot of boxes for me. I wanted to get into modular in a more affordable way. So an all in one system looked like the best way beyond software modular. Plus I wanted something hands on that would get me away from the screen. Now I've started adding some more modules it's getting really interesting. I think I've got the bug! :-/
Catblack wrote:
20 Feb 2019
What is this stand you are using?
It's a Proel 19" desktop rack stand with a TipTop Happy Ending kit;

http://www.proel.com/index.php?route=pr ... ct_id=6095

Vesterager

21 Feb 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
25 Jun 2018
(A bit off topic. Apologies). Is anyone using an Expert Sleepers ES-8 module in their Eurorack with Reason? I'm curious to know how well this works ......... or doesn't!
I'm using the ES-3 https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-es-3-mk2 which has some of the ES-8 functionality.

I use Thor to convert the CV note and gate signals to audio then out the light pipe to my euro rack. I can report that it does work really well. Better than midi because of the lack of jitter. Have not tried the VST Expert Sleeper software yet. It's working for me as is, since I set this up before Reason included VST.

Faastwalker

21 Feb 2019

Vesterager wrote:
21 Feb 2019
Faastwalker wrote:
25 Jun 2018
(A bit off topic. Apologies). Is anyone using an Expert Sleepers ES-8 module in their Eurorack with Reason? I'm curious to know how well this works ......... or doesn't!
I'm using the ES-3 https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-es-3-mk2 which has some of the ES-8 functionality.

I use Thor to convert the CV note and gate signals to audio then out the light pipe to my euro rack. I can report that it does work really well. Better than midi because of the lack of jitter. Have not tried the VST Expert Sleeper software yet. It's working for me as is, since I set this up before Reason included VST.
The ES-3 looks great for the light pipe option. If I had a light pipe interface this would be a good option I think. The ES-8 I’ve now decided is overkill for my needs. It looks like a great option but it’s pretty expensive. The main goal really is to control external gear from Reason, less so than the other way around. I want to concentrate on sound sources, manglers & FX externally & have Reason doing stuff like sequencing & modulating. So I’ve also been looking at the Hexinverter Mutant Brain. I emailed them asking about using it with Reason. Heard back from someone there saying it most definitely works with Reason & that they have been a long time Reason user since version 2.0! Sounds like the go. I think it’s only $169 (US).

Crumbfort

25 Feb 2019

Yeah, the Hexinverter Mutant Brain looks nice. I ended up going with this as I really liked the x4 configurable gate/pitch/cv1/cv2 options (plus the reset/division outs, pairs really nicely with PNW):

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vermona-q ... -interface

QPAS should come today! I'm stoked.

• Information