Announcing Quad Note Generator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mjxl

24 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
24 Dec 2018
mjxl wrote:
24 Dec 2018
Basically all the orange Kbobs will change patterns, shift pitch up and down and do note length/velocity.
If you keep all the Vary knobs on 0, the pattern you will program will not change over time.
To clarify, you don't "define" or "program" patterns. You set the Base Key and the Range. But you can't actually "program" any note patters, and you can only select from the 32 built in rhythm patterns. But the thing is, I find it very versatile despite this, and don't see it as a limitation at all.

I DO see the use of a device that takes your original pattern and generates variations on it, like a random patch generator/morpher can do for patches - but that would be a totally different device IMO.
Well the 32 patterns is what you define, right? :P
I mean they are the same every single time, so i basically treated them regular patterns. Only when you mix in the variations they become something else, if you don't rub the orange knobs it will still be a "pattern player" in my eyes.

selig
RE Developer

24 Dec 2018

mjxl wrote: Well the 32 patterns is what you define, right? :P
I mean they are the same every single time, so i basically treated them regular patterns. Only when you mix in the variations they become something else, if you don't rub the orange knobs it will still be a "pattern player" in my eyes.
Yes, you define or better yet “select” the pattern. I just meant to clarify you don’t get to program the patterns yourself (as you can do with devices such as Matrix etc.) since they are already programmed. ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

mjxl

24 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
24 Dec 2018
mjxl wrote: Well the 32 patterns is what you define, right? :P
Yes, you define or better yet “select” the pattern. I just meant to clarify you don’t get to program the patterns yourself (as you can do with devices such as Matrix etc.) since they are already programmed. ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Gotcha :D

Jowe79

25 Dec 2018

Thank you guys!!!!

DonnieAlan

26 Dec 2018

Will Quad Note work with 9.5, or do you have to have 10 or higher? I can't find that info anywhere on the product page.
What about for the Drum Sequencer?

Thanks

buddard
RE Developer

27 Dec 2018

DonnieAlan wrote:
26 Dec 2018
Will Quad Note work with 9.5, or do you have to have 10 or higher? I can't find that info anywhere on the product page.
What about for the Drum Sequencer?

Thanks
Both QNG and Drum Sequencer require Reason 10.1 or later.

FGL

03 Jan 2019

This device needs definitely a halftime button or switch. With four rows it is mostly too fast. A cool groove about 90 Bpm seems impossible.

KirkMarkarian

03 Jan 2019

FGL wrote:
03 Jan 2019
This device needs definitely a halftime button or switch. With four rows it is mostly too fast. A cool groove about 90 Bpm seems impossible.
You can change the pace of each row by clicking on the 1/16th note option and changing it to 1/8th, 1/4, etc. The length of the notes isn't affected unless you change that as well. Still, it'll be semi-random (if you're using the "vary" knob), but at least it'll be a different pace :D

I use the QNG mainly for controlling Beat ChoppRE for glitch patterns versus an endless stream of notes, because it's activated by note data, either CV or piano roll. Since I don't want to calculate my glitches (it's not random if I use the piano roll), I use the QNG to trigger the glitches. I love that I can use the varying note lengths as well, so I can get not only random glitches, but random glitch lengths. Really nails that Max/MSP kinda effect. Before QNG, I used KRON to trigger the Beat ChoppRE, but it was not quite as controllable. QNG and Kompulsion make for a really nice team when I want to create really eclectic electronic music.

FGL

03 Jan 2019

Yes, I checked this out before. But this shortens the pattern. It plays only 3 or 4 Events with that. Could be it is as complex like the long Pattern, but I can't see it. And I can't freeze a longer part.

VariableX

11 Jan 2019

time is up if you started a trial around release time, anyone actually bought this player yet? I havn't yet kinda sitting on the fence $100ish aus dollars seems expensive id buy it for $40.

mjxl

13 Jan 2019

I've bought it yeah, it's neat toy to play with :D

Also combine this with other players (even stock ones like note echo) to get WAYYY more happy accidents.

VariableX

13 Jan 2019

mjxl wrote:
13 Jan 2019
I've bought it yeah, it's neat toy to play with :D

Also combine this with other players (even stock ones like note echo) to get WAYYY more happy accidents.
i did like it and got some decent results, but like I say im finding it hard to pony up for it... :|

kinkujin

14 Jan 2019

Rent-to-Own please.

And, can you "swing" the results? Thanks.

soroc sosta

14 Jan 2019

Agreed! Why is this not available on RTO? :puf_unhappy:
kinkujin wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Rent-to-Own please.

kinkujin

17 Jan 2019

I'd love to hear more examples of what you all are doing with this RE. Anyone care to share?

mjxl

17 Jan 2019

kinkujin wrote:I'd love to hear more examples of what you all are doing with this RE. Anyone care to share?
It's fun to use as a random drum sequencer.
Drop it on a Kong, fill it up with some random sounds, and let it rip.

http://mjxl.net/rsn/GTechno.wav

Also random arp'ish squelchy stuff (for psytrance for example)

I also hooked it up to anything actually, Klang with some weird filters for example, let it record a couple of bars, export that and slap it into Europa as wavetable or plump it into Grain.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

kinkujin

21 Jan 2019

Thanks MJXL. Will need to save up for this one!

mjxl

21 Jan 2019

kinkujin wrote:
21 Jan 2019
Thanks MJXL. Will need to save up for this one!
Np :) ! There is a LOT more you can do, with all the outputs on the back for example.

Have you trialed this yet ? :thumbs_up:

electrofux

07 Apr 2019

Just trialed it and came about a thing that i wish was made different.

I would love to have a parameter which defines when a new randomization run will occur. So for example i can decide that a loop runs through twice before being changed. Sometimes you identify cool parts of a melody but until you have realized it is nice it is gone already.

I could automate the freeze section but i would prefer a simple parameter on the device.

I would also take out the length and velocity parameters out of the frozen state so that you can still adjust those while a sequence is frozen (or make them offsets in frozen state). Freeze should only stop the varying. Dunno if this makes sense but often i wish to tweak a frozen sequence a bit in its base parameters.

electrofux

07 Apr 2019

artotaku wrote:
10 Dec 2018
[Feature Request]: Make the note line "page" switches remotable like it is done in PSQ-1684 for selecting pulses or sequencers.

I mapped the device a to midi controller and sometimes I need to still look at the screen and if line 1 is selected but I change stuff from line 2 with midi controller I can´t see the changes unless I´m switching it with the mouse.
Yeah these things should be remotable to have the device follow your controller. Increases workflow tenfolds.

mjxl

02 May 2019

Just saw there's an update, anything new or just fixes?

moneykube

02 May 2019

I see it as new in shop which usually means update... but page makes no reference to an update and syncing account downloads nothing
edit
lolol... I tried syncing thinking it was a player I have, which I do not yet... :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by moneykube on 04 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

mjxl

02 May 2019

moneykube wrote:
02 May 2019
I see it as new in shop which usually means update... but page makes no reference to an update and syncing account downloads nothing
It did download a newer version, but no changelog or whatever yeah :P
Annotation 2019-05-02 195628.jpg
Annotation 2019-05-02 195628.jpg (6.01 KiB) Viewed 1976 times

rcbuse
RE Developer

02 May 2019

There was a hard crash if you muted the player from the track mute.

mjxl

03 May 2019

rcbuse wrote:
02 May 2019
There was a hard crash if you muted the player from the track mute.
:thumbs_up:

• Information