What do you look for in a Rack Extension?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2019

What do you look for in a Rack Extension? What needs to be there in order for you to press that buy button?

Tweakability. Having loads of options to play around with.

Limitations. Only the most important and interesting things are included. No extra fluff.

Ease of use.

Nice looking GUI.

Reasonable price.

Bug free.

Nice workflow.

Good sound. Seems obvious but for some people other aspects might actually be more or at least equally important.

Something unique. It can do someting that other plugins can't do.

It inspires you.

Other...

Loque

20 Jan 2019

I must need it or it offers something unique and i could use it. Reasonable price, good overall quality, inspires me, quick to use and tweakable if needed. It should be fun to use it.
Reason12, Win10

motuscott

20 Jan 2019

I'm fond of certain shades of green, the smell of autumn in the midwest.
It helps if there's money in the bank.
CV of course and it absolutely has to work in Reason.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Zac

20 Jan 2019

One of the things i look for is an intuitive and well sectioned GUI with a flow to its use.

The most used sections obvious and with decent sized controls.

The least used sections smaller and to one side or the bottom.

My biggest GUI peeve is an RE with all the same sized knobs, too small and in unsectioned rows.

In other words I want to look at the device and the GUI make it obvious what it does and how it does it.

Tweak

20 Jan 2019

In order of priority:

1. Utility - does the thing do something I am interested in?
2. Workflow - how do I achieve this task, is it intuitive, and does it only contain steps I'm happy having to take?
3. UI. Does the user interface reflect the workflow I intend on using well? i.e. there are no important areas to me hidden in panels or made too small, or difficult to use.
4. Price. How does this compare to other REs in general, and in particular similarly functioning REs. Finally, can I afford it?
5. Does it perform adequately? How does its CPU usage balance against other tools/REs?
6. Does it inspire me when I take it for a trial?
7. What is the developer's reputation for providing: support, future updates, solid REs?

strangers
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2019

The opening up of VST has majorly capped my RE buying. The only RE's I've still been buying have been synths. Everything boils down to who/what provides a more efficient workflow and sound at the right price point. CPU used to be a big factor for me but scrapped that since I've made a habit of bouncing tracks and mixer channels more often.

WarStar

20 Jan 2019

I've picked up a few synths and a handful of other creative type REs but all in all I feel the "creative" instruments and efx that Reason has natively are nearly all one needs interms of generating the sound, vibe, color you're looking for. It's seemingly infinite so I only make synth purchases when something really catches my attention but then again I weigh that out against wether I can create those sounds via reasons native devices.

I mostly purchase dynamics type REs or EQs or any other device that may help in that last mixing stage and mastering. Surgical type stuff too like the DQ or Sunder which fall into that mixing/Mastering category.

95% I only purchase REs on sale because it just makes sense lol

As far as research I mainly surf through these boards/forum or others that discuss REs and looking informed posts on the matter. I tend to give more credence to the "veterans" in this area and it's been very helpful. Selig, Loque, EnochLight, and many others have provided me with a ton of valuable info. I actually have txt document on my phone with alot of copied-and-pasted quotes from many posters on this forum lol. Everything from RE reviews and insights to techiniques on mixing/Mastering to hardware history..!! Very valuable and great learning experience too!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2019

I like simplicity. The simpler the better. Expanse and Zero (both of which I own) are nice sounding instruments but in my hands they become preset banks, because i hate working with those big endless options kind of REs.

I like niche products that excel at one or two things. One trick ponies are my favorite kind of REs, because then it's very easy to know when to reach for them.
Not a fan of REs that tries to do everything. It just becomes a clutter fest. This usually spills over in the GUI departmentas well. Keep it simple.

It's a huge plus if the RE can do something unique.

A GUI doesn't have to be beautiful, but if I'm turned off by it I simply won't buy it no matter how good the RE sounds. Sorry GUI matters.

Price doesn't really matter. If I want it, I'll buy it.
And if I don't want it I'm not getting it, even if it's for free.

kitekrazy

20 Jan 2019

I never buy the sample based until Props allow for moving samples to another drive without that makelink stuff. I like to buy budget synths since I can only use them in Reason.

kuhliloach

20 Jan 2019

The main thing I look for in any RE is a price tag of about $20. Much more than that is a joke to me, especially considering the cost of a typical premium iOS synth or effect. Next is ease-of-use. Complex user-interfaces are a real turn-off especially when they are inconsistent with Reason's existing UI. I am hoping for an RE at some point that has nothing but presets. No knobs, faders, or buttons. Just a nice clean empty UI with nothing but a selector for presets.

Loque

20 Jan 2019

kuhliloach wrote:
20 Jan 2019
The main thing I look for in any RE is a price tag of about $20. Much more than that is a joke to me, especially considering the cost of a typical premium iOS synth or effect. Next is ease-of-use. Complex user-interfaces are a real turn-off especially when they are inconsistent with Reason's existing UI. I am hoping for an RE at some point that has nothing but presets. No knobs, faders, or buttons. Just a nice clean empty UI with nothing but a selector for presets.
Hum...yea...Arturia is selling their Prophet for 10 bucks on iOS instead of 150. Maybe i should get myself an iCrap to have that cheap synths too.
Reason12, Win10

dioxide

20 Jan 2019

UI is important to me. I like it to look good, or at least decent and as someone mentioned before, the UI should be laid out in a way that is helpful to using the device.

I tend to like accurate emulations of old gear, just because there is a lot of old stuff that I like to play around with. There's a limit to how complex I want a device to be, I think PH's own stuff gets it about right. I also like some simple devices, more for utilities and effects, Kilohearts effects plugins are a good example.

O1B

21 Jan 2019

- Specialization
- Versatility
- Uniqueness
- Reliability
- History
- Unpredictability

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2019

kuhliloach wrote:
20 Jan 2019
The main thing I look for in any RE is a price tag of about $20. Much more than that is a joke to me, especially considering the cost of a typical premium iOS synth or effect.
Wow, we see things so differently. Just curious. Do you actually make music on your ipad/iphone?
For me that would be a miserable experience compared to working on my computer.

Also what REs do you own that you like? 20 bucks is a really really low price limit imo. I mean I don't think any of my favorite REs goes for just 20 bucks, not even on sale. I just know that I would've been missing out big time if I'd kept my price limit that low.

Popey
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2019

I usually find i dont look for anything in a rack extension as they find me and empty my wallet. What with checking this site and you tube vids propping up after subscribing to channels there are always shiny new things to try 😂😂😂. In all seriousness though i just look for something i dont already have, or if i do the new re does it differently (eg. I already had the a couple of eq's but bought the colouring eq whilst on offer)

Melody303

22 Jan 2019

At this point, clever randomization is one of the biggest features that entice me to buy an RE - given I like what it does and how it does it to begin with, if it comes with an intelligent randomizer, it's pretty irresistible for me.
Areas where I'm still susceptible to buying REs: Delays, Reverbs, Multi-FX (pattern based), choirs.

I'm still dying for something like Illformed Glitch 2 in RE format. (as well as Pianoteq and Microtonic and some HGFortune-style synths).
And for an advanced matrix-style pattern sequencer with lanes for probability & range of: octave switching, ratcheting/sliding, velocity.

If those wishes were fulfilled I'd be all set for life, but I'd still always be on the lookout for nifty new reverbs and delays (and occasionally for new synths).
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

scratchnsnifff

27 Jan 2019

I am still looking for stuff that really rivals vst. Expanse and some rob papen comes close. But There really needs to be a heavier push from developers if that is to be achieved

Spectra almost hit the nail on the head, and IMO it’s one of the most in depth synths that there is, but it lacks some workflow ease of use features

But as for future Re release, I hope to see synths that are beyond products like expanse, predator, and spectra
To sum it up, I look for futuristic features coupled with CV and reasons ease of use
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

BRIGGS

27 Jan 2019

"What do you look for in a Rack Extension?"

I already have most of what I need, so I now look for any REs that make my life easier, and REs that are unique or have a new innovations.
r11s

DJMaytag

06 Feb 2019

Connectivity. If there’s not much in the way of I/O, an RE isn’t very interesting. I’m a hardware modular synth user, so I want to be able to interface CV and/or audio within (and without) Reason.

I’ll buy an RE over a nearly identical VST if I can have more I/O control than what I can get from the VST.

Jagwah

07 Feb 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
27 Jan 2019
"What do you look for in a Rack Extension?"

I already have most of what I need, so I now look for any REs that make my life easier, and REs that are unique or have a new innovations.
This ^^

DJMaytag

07 Feb 2019

FWIW, the lack of I/O on the new Complex-1 synth is one reason it’s not very high on my list. If I want a “complex” (aka West Coast/Buchla) type synth, I’ll just use VCV Rack, which is free.

kirkbowman

07 Feb 2019

Presets because I study them to understand how a RE works.

seqoi

09 Feb 2019

Workflow, ease of use (sync button is godsend), stability.

EdGrip

09 Feb 2019

Morphing

FGL

10 Feb 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Jan 2019
I like simplicity. The simpler the better. Expanse and Zero (both of which I own) are nice sounding instruments but in my hands they become preset banks, because i hate working with those big endless options kind of REs.

I like niche products that excel at one or two things. One trick ponies are my favorite kind of REs, because then it's very easy to know when to reach for them.
Not a fan of REs that tries to do everything. It just becomes a clutter fest. This usually spills over in the GUI departmentas well. Keep it simple.

It's a huge plus if the RE can do something unique.

A GUI doesn't have to be beautiful, but if I'm turned off by it I simply won't buy it no matter how good the RE sounds. Sorry GUI matters.

Price doesn't really matter. If I want it, I'll buy it.
And if I don't want it I'm not getting it, even if it's for free.
OK, Zero is a mess, but Expanse is one of the most programmable devices in terms of synthesizer.

• Information