Headphones and audio interfaces.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Rason

04 Jan 2019

Hey. Can someone recommend any USB audio interface that provides sufficient headphone output for high impedance headphones? I would like to be able to connect both monitors and headphones but usb cards generally dont provide good headphone output. Is the only option to get low ohm headphones or different type of audio interface? Or get headphone amp ran from unbalanced amplified headphone out? I havent had good headphones so far and I would like to see what type of setup you prefer. Thanks.
Last edited by Rason on 04 Jan 2019, edited 2 times in total.

gscroggin

17 Jan 2019

I'm guessing you're not looking for ultra-high audio quality and just want something convenient for on-the-go? If so check out the ZOOM U-22. I bought one last year for just that reason (no pun intended) and it's been great. When I'm mobile and just want to get some ideas down it's perfect, even with typical ear buds. It's certainly not in the same universe as my UAD stuff but that wasn't the point.

EdGrip

18 Jan 2019

I've found the amp in the Steinberg UR22 to be perfectly good - it just doesn't go really really loud.

Last year I bought an O2 headphone amp that I (sometimes, when I can be bothered to give it a power supply) run from the monitor outputs on the UR22. It goes much louder, of course, but I can't tell it apart from the built-in amp at sensible listening levels.

My guess is that all bus-powered interfaces will have similarly-spec'd "good enough" headphone amps, so it's probably better to focus on the interface as a whole (mic pre quality if you'll be using them, latency, driver stability, all the usual stuff.)
You can always add a powerful headphone amp later if you need it or want to experiment - there's only so much juice USB can supply, which I think is why bus-powered-only headphone amps aren't common.

Marco Raaphorst

18 Jan 2019

Can’t think of any audio interface with headphone output which is not ok. It’s all top quality thesedays.

Rason

18 Jan 2019

Thank you. It is interesting bcs after excessive research I came to conclusion that my ur-22 along with most other usb cards in that range actually really doesnt provide sufficient power for high imp heaphones. It provides 6 mW per channel into 40 ohms. Low powered headphone outputs on USB powered interfaces are common bcs usb power is limited to 2,55 watts and the manufacturers prioritize mic preamps, monitor outputs etc. I shouldnt run any higher imp phones not just bcs of the overall insufficient loudness, but also bcs of sound being muffled and thin. Running a headphone amp from the already amplified headphone out seems to be a shit point in the overall good chain. I decided to probably give up buying new interface or high imp phones and I will get some low imp ones (<50 ohm). Any tip for some open with flat uncolored response will be appreciated.

sent using Tapatalk

• Information