10.2.2 Thumbnails Permanently Trashed

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
NekujaK

11 Jan 2019

After installing plugin updates from Waves in the past, I've occasionally had to create new snapshot thumbs for their plugins, because the update would reset the thumbnails in Reason. It was a pain, but was easily corrected by creating new snapshots, and only Waves plugins were affected. But now, I'm encountering a new thumbnail issue that's more widespread, and what's worse, it doesn't appear to be correctable.

Today I installed PRS SuperModels from Waves, and immediately encountered multiple thumbnail issues in Reason affecting not only Waves plugins, but various other 3rd party plugins, as well. Unfortunately, these errors are permanent and cannot be fixed by taking new snapshots :(

The corrupted graphics not only appear in Reason's Browser pane, but are also present in the Rack and VST windows.

I'm pretty sure I've isolated Waves as the culprit. First, if I remove the physical .png thumbnail files for just the Waves plugins, then everything goes back to normal for all other plugins (but of course, the Waves plugins have no thumbnails). Also, if I have Reason ignore the Waves plugins and not load them, everything behaves normally. The instant I reinstate the Waves plugins and/or their thumbnails, the problems appear.

Taking new snapshots only temporarily solves the issue. The new snapshots will only be present for the current session, but when I restart Reason, the thumbnails are all messed up again and any new snapshots I created are lost (well technically they're on the hard drive, but Reason doesn't display them).

I'm on the latest Reason 10.2.2 release - Windows 7. I thought 10.2.2 was supposed to correct all the graphic glitches, not create new ones. Very discouraging and disappointing.

Here are some screenshots from my setup:
Currupted Reason Thumbs.jpg
Currupted Reason Thumbs.jpg (536.56 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Last edited by NekujaK on 23 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Zac

12 Jan 2019

I've had to delete all of my VST pics to stop these trashed pictures. My thoughts were it was to do with hitting a ceiling of VST picture numbers. But I don’t know. All I know is that browsing VSTs without the pics is rubbish. But necessary. I can't live with these errors.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7509823

It is a nightmare. But since it only happens to us few, I wonder if they are fixing it??

NekujaK

18 Jan 2019

Zac wrote:
12 Jan 2019
I've had to delete all of my VST pics to stop these trashed pictures. My thoughts were it was to do with hitting a ceiling of VST picture numbers. But I don’t know.
I've been poking around Reason for the last few days trying to figure out what's behind the trashed thumbnails and graphic glitches, and I've come to the conclusion that your hunch is correct - it's a numbers thing. After removing about 50 plugins from my VST folder, and restarting Reason, the graphics glitches were gone!

Waves plugins are not specifically the cause of the thumbnail problems, as I had initially thought, rather it's a matter of overall plugin quantity. I don't know what the actual limit is, but I suspect it's somewhere around 1000 combined VSTs and REs. That's just a rough guess based on what I'm seeing on my setup. And more specifically, it's not really the number of plugins, but the total number of thumbnails that Reason has to manage and display that matters.

It sucks that plugins and/or thumbnails need to be sacrificed to keep Reason functioning properly, but at the same time, I do have a lot of VSTs that I never use, so it kinda feels good to have an excuse to "clean house" :? But of course, the Props ultimately need to fix this and remove any limitations.

MarkTarlton

23 May 2019

I had issues with this a while ago and than fixed it, but I forgot how. Now since updating to 10.4 it's back....arghhhh

NekujaK

23 May 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
23 May 2019
I had issues with this a while ago and than fixed it, but I forgot how. Now since updating to 10.4 it's back....arghhhh
Try removing a few plugins. That worked for me.

MarkTarlton

23 May 2019

for me I trashed some kind of preference in a hidden folder. I spent hours trying to fix it, and than deleting that file solved it, but than I lost all my screenshots. I'll try your solution and report back

• Information