Driving me potty!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Taff

08 Jan 2019

Ok, I have Reason (10) on an external hard drive for convenience.

Every time I start the program, it copies my factory sound bank, any ideas why why?

Skimrok

08 Jan 2019

To where?
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Taff

09 Jan 2019

Good question, but I don't know.

It just says "copying Reason soundbank"!!

antic604

09 Jan 2019

I'm assuming you just copied the soundbank to your external hard drive and deleted from Windows drive? If so, that's the default behaviour of Reason:

https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... Reason-10-

fullforce

09 Jan 2019

Taff wrote:
08 Jan 2019
Ok, I have Reason (10) on an external hard drive for convenience.

Every time I start the program, it copies my factory sound bank, any ideas why why?
Well, that should say enough. Installing Reason on an external disk isn't a very smart idea.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

rgdaniel

09 Jan 2019

I install the program itself on my 500 GB SSD system boot drive (C:), allowing rack extensions and VSTs to live in their usual places. But I keep all my ReFills, sample libraries, project files, and saved WAVs onto my 7200rpm 2 TB D-drive (internal, not bootable). Not that anybody asked. :lol:

Taff

10 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019
I'm assuming you just copied the soundbank to your external hard drive and deleted from Windows drive? If so, that's the default behaviour of Reason:

Many thanks!

antic604

10 Jan 2019

Taff wrote:
10 Jan 2019
antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019

Many thanks!
What you can do is let it install the files, then move the folders to external HDD and create symlinks to their new locations at original locations. That should do the trick.

Taff

11 Jan 2019

How do I create "symlinks" mate?

WongoTheSane

11 Jan 2019

Carly's tutorial on how to make symlinks:

viewtopic.php?p=376855#p376855

mmm

11 Jan 2019

Cymru am byth!!! Right Taff??? ;-)

Taff

17 Jan 2019

mmm. Dead right! Though I live in Kernow now.

Many thanks Wonko!

EnochLight

17 Jan 2019

fullforce wrote:
09 Jan 2019
Installing Reason on an external disk isn't a very smart idea.
Why? Some people like to keep their installed programs on drives other than internal to save space. Maybe the OP's main drive is filled...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

fullforce

17 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jan 2019
fullforce wrote:
09 Jan 2019
Installing Reason on an external disk isn't a very smart idea.
Why? Some people like to keep their installed programs on drives other than internal to save space. Maybe the OP's main drive is filled...
It's a stupid idea. It's always a hell of a lot slower. You probably know that so I am not sure why you're asking.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

EnochLight

17 Jan 2019

fullforce wrote:
17 Jan 2019
EnochLight wrote:
17 Jan 2019

It's a stupid idea. It's always a hell of a lot slower. You probably know that so I am not sure why you're asking.
Well sure it's (almost always) slower, but if a person's built-in drive is filled up yet they aren't ready to retire their computer, what other choice is there? Hardly not stupid, IMHO. That's the whole point of external hard drives.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

17 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jan 2019
Well sure it's (almost always) slower, but if a person's built-in drive is filled up yet they aren't ready to retire their computer, what other choice is there? Hardly not stupid, IMHO. That's the whole point of external hard drives.
Not trying to get in the middle of this (slightly OT) debate, but the whole point of external HD is not necessarily for applications at all. I use mine exclusively for documents and sample libraries etc., no applications. This frees the internal drive for applications and other system files. But I digress…

But come on, we're here to complain about the browser, not discuss the intention of external hard drives…

BTW, the brewers bugged me for a few months, then I learned new habits and have not been caught by the "adding multiple devices" effect more than once or twice (FAR less often as the "accidentally dragging device" effect).

But yea, why not lock it on one device until you specifically switch to another, seems like a logical functionality to me.
Selig Audio, LLC

Exowildebeest

17 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jan 2019
fullforce wrote:
17 Jan 2019

Of course there are other choices :) Like freeing up some space for Reason by transferring data to that same external HD - you know, what they're generally used for ;) If anything, that's the whole point of external HD's, to archive data so you keep space for prioritized data, the most important of which is usually the software you want to run.

You probably know this so I am not sure why I'm explaining :P

Edit: ninja'd by Selig. Meh, there are worse things in life.

EnochLight

17 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
17 Jan 2019
Not trying to get in the middle of this (slightly OT) debate, but the whole point of external HD is not necessarily for applications at all. I use mine exclusively for documents and sample libraries etc., no applications
Well sure, that's what you use it for. That's what I use mine for, as well. But transfer rates and read/writes on modern external drives, over USB3 or Lightening, have been more than adequate to install applications on for quite some time. This is a common use for many, I would wager. Also, if one has lost their installation media or just generally don't want to be hassled with uninstalling/re-instaling a bunch of apps and moving data, just using their external in this manner might be easier.
Exowildebeest wrote:
17 Jan 2019
Of course there are other choices :) Like freeing up some space for Reason by transferring data to that same external HD - you know, what they're generally used for ;) If anything, that's the whole point of external HD's, to archive data so you keep space for prioritized data, the most important of which is usually the software you want to run.

You probably know this so I am not sure why I'm explaining :P

Edit: ninja'd by Selig. Meh, there are worse things in life.
See above. ;) But you know this, right? :P

The bottom line is, while of course it isn't ideal, it's certainly not "stupid".

Exowildebeest

17 Jan 2019

No no Enoch, that's not how this works. You just had your legs cut off with a samurai sword and then your bleeding torso was trampled to mushy paste by a herd of wildebeest. You can't just come back from that with a calmly expressed, rational counterargument.

EnochLight

17 Jan 2019

Exowildebeest wrote:
17 Jan 2019
No no Enoch, that's not how this works. You just had your legs cut off with a samurai sword and then your bleeding torso was trampled to mushy paste by a herd of wildebeest. You can't just come back from that with a calmly expressed, rational counterargument.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

fullforce

19 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jan 2019
fullforce wrote:
17 Jan 2019

What choice is there? Oh, I don't know. Maybe buy a bigger internal HD and clone it?

EnochLight

19 Jan 2019

fullforce wrote:
19 Jan 2019
What choice is there? Oh, I don't know. Maybe buy a bigger internal HD and clone it?
And if the user doesn't have the technical know-how to disassemble a laptop to switch out a drive, let alone clone it? The fact is: sometimes just picking up an external hard drive solves all your problems, in a much easier fashion. I'm not saying it's ideal, nor the best option. But "stupid"? Nah.

fullforce

19 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
19 Jan 2019
fullforce wrote:
19 Jan 2019
And if the user doesn't have the technical know-how to disassemble a laptop to switch out a drive, let alone clone it? The fact is: sometimes just picking up an external hard drive solves all your problems, in a much easier fashion. I'm not saying it's ideal, nor the best option. But "stupid"? Nah.
It's stupid to run programs off an external harddisk. Period.

selig
RE Developer

19 Jan 2019

OK then, we now agree there are other uses for external drives than for applications, right? So back to the topic at hand, what are folks doing to work around this "gotcha" with the browser? I'm finding one of the reasons it becomes a point of confusion for me is that when you click on another device after browsing, the last selection is still visible in the browser. This leads me to assume the browser is still focused on the device in question, but as we all know if you double click on any of those items currently displayed in the browser you will create another/new device.

So my new habit is to drag into the rack as a primary way of loading patches, or use the patch select arrows on the device itself. Both of these approaches work 100% as expected and prevent accidental new devices from appearing in my rack.

It's only the "double-click" in the browser that cases the undesired results, so I just stopped using that technique - there are two other techniques for loading patches that work as well for me, so the result is no unexpected devices populating the rack. I call it the "safe browsing" technique… ;)

Plus, it's easy enough to return to the former status by re-linking the selected device to the browser (an unnecessary extra step to be sure, but one I'm now used to using on a regular basis).
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

19 Jan 2019

fullforce wrote:
19 Jan 2019
EnochLight wrote:
19 Jan 2019

It's stupid to run programs off an external harddisk. Period.
I would say there are caveats to doing so, and if criticizing someone who suggests doing so I would explain the pros and cons so they would know what to expect.

But come on, it's not "stupid" to do so unless you're expecting the same results as on an internal drive - and then I could call it "ignorant" and not "stupid". And those that have experience in this would do well to share their knowledge rather than stupid-shaming someone. A little respect goes a long way, something for everyone here to consider and then move back to the topic at hand.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information