Browser's auto defocus - driving me crazy !

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dusan.cani

14 Jan 2019

When you open browser for particular device in the rack (by the folder icon on the device), you see the list with patches to load. You try different patches to load, but while you are checking some patches you often need to click outside of the device. For example, change the parameter of the insert effect, or just adjust the level on the channel volume.

If you go back to the browser and continue to load another patches, you end up with unintended duplicate copy of the device ! Why ? Because browser loses focus if you just click outside of the device. This is absolutely horrible behaviour with no logic involved at all. You DON'T WANT to defocus browser until you close/defocus the browser on your own, or until you click on the browser's folder icon on the another device.

This behaviour totally ruins the "sound selecting workflow" because everytime I am meesing with patches, I end up with duplicated devices. This is really annoying and distracting. This should be fixed as soon as possible and I don't understand how other folks are comfortable with this.

Loque

14 Jan 2019

I wouldn't say it drives me crazy, but i sometimes feel to slap my face *facepalm*...
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

14 Jan 2019

It STILL catches me out, all the time. Hate it.

If I had a penny for every new instance of a device I've accidentally created for no reason when I just wanted to try a different patch...

jlgrimes

14 Jan 2019

I think if you keep auto load default patch up, it helps the experience.

That said I'd prefer to not load the default patches.

antic604

15 Jan 2019

Agree, there should be a toggle in settings to require manual disabling of browser focus (next to "new devices get browser focus")

Zac

15 Jan 2019

EdGrip wrote:
14 Jan 2019

If I had a penny for every new instance of a device I've accidentally created for no reason when I just wanted to try a different patch...
Yep, me too. Very annoying.

Mode7

15 Jan 2019

I agree, that' a major flaw.

It breaks constantly my workflow, especially while selecting drums sounds.

For instance, when I want to test the same drum sample both in NNXT, Redrum, Grain, Kong, I have to browse it each time.

There at least should be an right click option in the browser like : "load the wav file as a sample in a new NNXT/Grain instrument".
There should be a same option for Dr Rex slices (for instance : "Bounce the slice(s) on a new sample")

Plus the fact that you cannot tag samples and patches to make research easier, the browser should be entirely remade by Props in my opinion.

Not a big thing to include I think, but kinda improvement that really matters.

Arrant
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2019

Just want to add my voice to this, one of the major annoyances when working in Reason for sure.

Ideally I would want to lock my computer keyboard arrows to the relevant device's preset browser until I'm done selecting patches, even if I want to change something quickly in the mixer, sequencer or other rack Device while auditiong.

CephaloPod

16 Jan 2019

EdGrip wrote:
14 Jan 2019

Yep. I've never got used to it. Hate it.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

Resonator

16 Jan 2019

Yeah it’s very annoying and slows down the workflow, whether you remember to reselect the device or not. I never understood how extra mouse clicks equates to “workflow improvements” as advertised in Reason 8 when the browser was added. I always hated it and still do. That and the “Add Instrument” buttons add more bloat than anything. Customizable options would be more ideal in my opinion.

zoidkirb

17 Jan 2019

This bugs me also. I've resorted to getting in the habit of dragging the new patch across from the browser and dropping it onto the device.

EdGrip

17 Jan 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
17 Jan 2019
This bugs me also. I've resorted to getting in the habit of dragging the new patch across from the browser and dropping it onto the device.
Yeah, I try to do that when I remember. But the system is so counter-intuitive that I often, still, don't remember.

I feel the system should be that the browser stays locked to a device until you click the load-patch button on another device (optional as a preference, in case you like the current system, obviously.)

dusan.cani

27 Jul 2019

Struggling with this again and again and again...I don't understand how propellerheads consider this as correct behaviour...

rgdaniel

27 Jul 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
17 Jan 2019
I've resorted to getting in the habit of dragging the new patch across from the browser and dropping it onto the device.
This.

boingy

27 Jul 2019

You could view it as quirky and individual.
Or you could view it as an annoyance that we've all learned to live with.

The whole browser thing s confusing and we see regular questions about it. Like the bit where it hides everything except stuff for the selected instrument (when that top bit goes orange). Suddenly it looks like your refill has nothing in it...

Heigen5

28 Jul 2019

In my case, something makes me pissed too regarding the browser i.e. when you press the Redrum's load sample, you can see the sample in the sample list in the browser. By pressing the Redrum's sample-switching arrow the browser's sample also follows til.. you do something like adjusting the Redrum's pan as example - so when you go back switching sample via Redrum, the samples don't follow anymore in the browser. Aargh!

miscend

17 May 2021

I think a solution to this problem would be a button in the browser to lock its focus to the current selected rack device. So you can continue to browse patches without creating duplicate devices.

dusan.cani

17 May 2021

miscend wrote:
17 May 2021
I think a solution to this problem would be a button in the browser to lock its focus to the current selected rack device. So you can continue to browse patches without creating duplicate devices.
I still don't understand what advantage has the present "auto defocus" behaviour.

EdwardKiy

17 May 2021

Nektar Lx, T and P series devices are a workaround for this problem, you don't lose browser focus if you browse through their menus. This does not excuse RS in any way though.

dusan.cani

24 Mar 2024

I am starting to think that this crazy browser behaviour is some kind of intended punishment for us, Reason users :lol: .

It seems that it will never be fixed because it's still ignored even we have Reason 12 version.

It's absolutely beyond me, how Reason could be released with this browser malfunction. Didn't they use the product to check how is it working before release ? Didn't they notice that they end up with unwanted duplicate copy of device when double clicking occurs to load the patch ?

jlgrimes

24 Mar 2024

I was kind of a fan of their old Pop up patch browser as it made it very simple for casual patch browsing. The losing focus thing gets me as well.

• Information