Selig's Coloring EQ for 49 bucks atm

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

14 Jan 2019

Reason12, Win10

jam-s

14 Jan 2019

Nice deal of the week.

MannequinRaces

14 Jan 2019

Awesome deal of the week! People should jump all over this.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Ive got the Synapse one, the Rob Papen one, the three Kuassa ones and a bunch of others. What’s different with this one? I’ve got all Selig’s other REs and they are great.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2019

MrFigg wrote:
14 Jan 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Ive got the Synapse one, the Rob Papen one, the three Kuassa ones and a bunch of others. What’s different with this one? I’ve got all Selig’s other REs and they are great.
It's a saturation EQ, completely different to any other EQs in the shop. Also has some really useful/unique features that others don't, such as master gain/tune/Q control. (well at least GQ-7 doesn't)

Loque

14 Jan 2019

If this thing would have a
* Bigger display
* faster gfx
* more audio ins for visible/editable stuff
* Dynamic section

would be a killer!
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

14 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Get it while its cheap!

https://shop.propellerheads.com/shop/ra ... oloringeq/
that link doesn't seem to work. maybe this one will...

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... oloringeq/
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

14 Jan 2019

guitfnky wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Loque wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Get it while its cheap!

https://shop.propellerheads.com/shop/ra ... oloringeq/

There is something odd with the shop. You provided exactly the same link. I already noticed an additional sub folder called "shop" which seem to be new and some things are not working correct.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

14 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
14 Jan 2019
guitfnky wrote:
14 Jan 2019

There is something odd with the shop. You provided exactly the same link. I already noticed an additional sub folder called "shop" which seem to be new and some things are not working correct.
they’re not identical links. yours directs to SHOP.propellerheads.com/shop... - the working one directs to www.propellerheads.com/shop...
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

ltbrunt00

14 Jan 2019

Thanks for the heads up. I was waiting for this to hit the rent to own section but this is even better.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

O1B

14 Jan 2019

nice!

selig
RE Developer

14 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
14 Jan 2019
* Bigger display
* faster gfx
* Dynamic section

would be a killer!
* Bigger display - am looking into this, but honesty the display size doesn't affect anything about the functionality, right? It would be primarily for "eye candy" reasons - or am I missing something?
* faster gfx - compared to the built in spectral display and other EQs, this is as fast or faster AFAICT (there's no absolute way of measuring it). I find using Hold to be more helpful anyway - try it! Seeing "instantaneous" spectral changes are less important to an EQ than seeing the resultant overall curve, IMO, and it helps to keep the CPU hit as low as possible too. Plus, the SDK for custom displays doesn't make things any easier…
* more audio ins for visible/editable stuff - not sure what you mean - this EQ has FAR more audio inputs than any EQ in existence!!! You can even use any of the inputs to show it's own spectral display and switch back and forth for comparison ("Hold" is incredibly useful for this, btw). You could conceivably have 7 different inputs all showing their own display, though not at once (but this is another thing I'm looking into).
* Dynamic section - then it would be a dynamic EQ, not a coloring EQ. It's already in "feature bloat" territory, and to do proper dynamic EQ (at least how I would envision it) would greatly add to the clutter factor. Luckily you can easily build dynamic EQ in Reason! And one day I'll reveal my own idea of how a dynamic EQ should be done (and it won't have saturation or 7 bands or a paragraphic UI, fwiw). TL/DR: different beasts IMO.

Thanks for the feedback, and enjoy the sale!
Selig Audio, LLC

Popey
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2019

Watched the stock musician video and had to pick it up at that price, havent ever used a colouring eq before.

Giles on a side note did the leveller go on sale over xmas (didnt get chance to look after sorting out issues over a break in)

pothole

15 Jan 2019

you're either in or you're out....

i'm in! :)

Loque

15 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Loque wrote:
14 Jan 2019
* Bigger display
* faster gfx
* Dynamic section

would be a killer!
* Bigger display - am looking into this, but honesty the display size doesn't affect anything about the functionality, right? It would be primarily for "eye candy" reasons - or am I missing something?
* faster gfx - compared to the built in spectral display and other EQs, this is as fast or faster AFAICT (there's no absolute way of measuring it). I find using Hold to be more helpful anyway - try it! Seeing "instantaneous" spectral changes are less important to an EQ than seeing the resultant overall curve, IMO, and it helps to keep the CPU hit as low as possible too. Plus, the SDK for custom displays doesn't make things any easier…
* more audio ins for visible/editable stuff - not sure what you mean - this EQ has FAR more audio inputs than any EQ in existence!!! You can even use any of the inputs to show it's own spectral display and switch back and forth for comparison ("Hold" is incredibly useful for this, btw). You could conceivably have 7 different inputs all showing their own display, though not at once (but this is another thing I'm looking into).
* Dynamic section - then it would be a dynamic EQ, not a coloring EQ. It's already in "feature bloat" territory, and to do proper dynamic EQ (at least how I would envision it) would greatly add to the clutter factor. Luckily you can easily build dynamic EQ in Reason! And one day I'll reveal my own idea of how a dynamic EQ should be done (and it won't have saturation or 7 bands or a paragraphic UI, fwiw). TL/DR: different beasts IMO.

Yea, eye candy...

The audio inputs i meant were more for other channels, but i guess this is not for mastering more for coloring :-D

Same for dynamic EQ - i know i can build them, but its more easy to just turn it on when needed. It is an interresting point, what could be really new in the category of dynamic EQs. What i always miss is more control of the side chain signal(s), but i am not sure, how this can be done in a practical way without cluttering knobs and buttons everywhere. Interesting would be a more musical approach where it works more like Carve or Track Spacer, but i am not sure about the impact of the target signal.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

15 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
15 Jan 2019
selig wrote:
14 Jan 2019

Yea, eye candy...

The audio inputs i meant were more for other channels, but i guess this is not for mastering more for coloring :-D

Same for dynamic EQ - i know i can build them, but its more easy to just turn it on when needed. It is an interresting point, what could be really new in the category of dynamic EQs. What i always miss is more control of the side chain signal(s), but i am not sure, how this can be done in a practical way without cluttering knobs and buttons everywhere. Interesting would be a more musical approach where it works more like Carve or Track Spacer, but i am not sure about the impact of the target signal.
Nothing wrong with a little eye candy. I a perfect world I'd have an option to turn the entire device into one big display, of possible, plus the ability to view more than one spectrum at a time. ;)

Still not clear on the audio input/channels comment - can you clarify?

Dynamic EQ - what I miss with some other products is precise control over the range of EQ in response to the range of input signals. Typically a dynamic EQ is used as a problem solver device, such as "de-harshing" a vocal that only happens on certain notes at certain levels, or turning down high hat bleed in a snare mic, etc. What I envision is a process where you specify what level the effect kicks in (threshold), how far it can go (depth), and (if necessary) what input level the effect maxes out at. I don't like typical approaches where you only have a threshold and ratio because that doesn't address how much EQ you want to have applied.

Let's say I need to reduce a band by 6 dB starting when the signal is above -14 dBFS and maxing out at 6 dB reduction when the signal reaches -9 dBFS. At the least there should be a threshold and a depth setting. That's how I want to address dynamic EQ. And of course, adding side chain is simple from there, with the option to use a different filter to fine tune the side chain signal when needed (typically you use a filter that matches the EQ settings, so you cut at the side chain frequency).
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

15 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
15 Jan 2019
Loque wrote:
15 Jan 2019

Yea, eye candy...

Nothing wrong with a little eye candy. I a perfect world I'd have an option to turn the entire device into one big display, of possible, plus the ability to view more than one spectrum at a time. ;)

Dynamic EQ - what I miss with some other products is precise control over the range of EQ in response to the range of input signals. Typically a dynamic EQ is used as a problem solver device, such as "de-harshing" a vocal that only happens on certain notes at certain levels, or turning down high hat bleed in a snare mic, etc. What I envision is a process where you specify what level the effect kicks in (threshold), how far it can go (depth), and (if necessary) what input level the effect maxes out at. I don't like typical approaches where you only have a threshold and ratio because that doesn't address how much EQ you want to have applied.

Let's say I need to reduce a band by 6 dB starting when the signal is above -14 dBFS and maxing out at 6 dB reduction when the signal reaches -9 dBFS. At the least there should be a threshold and a depth setting. That's how I want to address dynamic EQ. And of course, adding side chain is simple from there, with the option to use a different filter to fine tune the side chain signal when needed (typically you use a filter that matches the EQ settings, so you cut at the side chain frequency).
I want multiple inputs to see several channels at once or even better, EQ all at once. Its good to see a frequency overlap and do something in the EQ. Switch fast between the inputs, because sometimes it's better to EQ here or there.
Reason12, Win10

mon

15 Jan 2019

First of all I have to say this is amazing RE and EQ! Once again Selig delivered superb product. I have some major problems with Reason’s GUI CPU consumption. Basically all REs that have some kind of display (like ColoringEQ) eats a lot of cpu cycles while displayed which get reduced when the plugin is minimized or hidden inside a combi. For me, it would be great for such devices to have the ability to disable their displays.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

two shoes

15 Jan 2019

regarding the dynamic eq, the Red Queen eq has a lot of dynamic functionality though i realize the gui isn't for everyone. I've slowly gotten more comfortable with it over the past few months and it's really grown on me. It may not be the most efficient thing for run of the mill corrective eq but it has a lot of creative potential.

i'd been telling myself i didn't need coloring eq till now, but i didn't realize how much stuff it could do that rp eq and gq7 can't.

antic604

15 Jan 2019

If we're talking feature requests here, why isn't it the same graphical style as your other devices?
This is probably the first thing that prevents me from getting it right now - I just don't like how it looks... :(

Zac

15 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
15 Jan 2019
If we're talking feature requests here, why isn't it the same graphical style as your other devices?
This is probably the first thing that prevents me from getting it right now - I just don't like how it looks... :(
I'm guessing Selig's previous colour scheme wouldn't have really matched the name of this RE.

antic604

15 Jan 2019

Zac wrote:
15 Jan 2019
antic604 wrote:
15 Jan 2019
I'm guessing Selig's previous colour scheme wouldn't have really matched the name of this RE.
Oh, the colors for bands could stay. I mean that grey, metallic-y "body" of the device and especially the gradient it has - it just looks out of place amongst other devices in the Rack that don't try to be 3D or emphasize the light, that's all. I prefer the flatter, more solid-color look of Props devices, like Europa, Grain or Complex-1 :)

selig
RE Developer

15 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
Zac wrote:
15 Jan 2019
Oh, the colors for bands could stay. I mean that grey, metallic-y "body" of the device and especially the gradient it has - it just looks out of place amongst other devices in the Rack that don't try to be 3D or emphasize the light, that's all. I prefer the flatter, more solid-color look of Props devices, like Europa, Grain or Complex-1 :)
Leveler has the 3D look too, leaving the gradient as the deal breaker. So if a gradient keeps you from purchasing or using a product, I don’t know what to say. Again, I hope to add a view that is basically just one big custom display, which would address your deal breaker, no?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

15 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
15 Jan 2019
selig wrote:
15 Jan 2019

I want multiple inputs to see several channels at once or even better, EQ all at once. Its good to see a frequency overlap and do something in the EQ. Switch fast between the inputs, because sometimes it's better to EQ here or there.
If it's for visuals and you want to see multiple channels in a spectrum analyzer, perhaps take a look at Optic?
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... -analyzer/

There's was an update recently that "increased framerate by nearly 400% and reduced onset delay by 80%"

antic604

16 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
15 Jan 2019
Leveler has the 3D look too, leaving the gradient as the deal breaker. So if a gradient keeps you from purchasing or using a product, I don’t know what to say. Again, I hope to add a view that is basically just one big custom display, which would address your deal breaker, no?
Yes, you're right. Yet somehow it doesn't seem to bother me as much on Leveler (and even Gain has a slight gradient, too). It's not so pronounced, maybe because it's not as striking on white as opposed to the "metal plate".

And maybe I'm just chalikng it on the "looks" when in fact it's a combination of the price and me having enough of good EQs already and being too dumb to understand how ColoringEQ is superior ;) :D

• Information