Reason Slow Performance - when is optimisation coming?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
20 Oct 2018
And GPU. I think that’s the main issue.
If a VST makes use of the GPU it will continue to do so in Reason. I'd expect Reason to make use of GPU rendering for REs. Would be a pointless waste of CPU otherwise.

Marco Raaphorst

20 Oct 2018

avasopht wrote:
20 Oct 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
20 Oct 2018
If a VST makes use of the GPU it will continue to do so in Reason. I'd expect Reason to make use of GPU rendering for REs. Would be a pointless waste of CPU otherwise.
No Reason does not, only VST pushes this. My GPU is being used since VST was used in Reason. The Props didn't know about this btw. Kinda weird.

In know Ableton has made the decision for Live 10 to use only the integrated card. A silly idea imo. But thankfully gfxCardStatus is a wonderful control tool for overriding this.

sonicbyte

21 Oct 2018

You should all check out this hidlide video from reason experts

He's leaving reason.... You should listen what he says about performance

Marco Raaphorst

21 Oct 2018

The Props are working on solving these performance issues. So I am waiting on that one.

Hidlide sounds a little depressed, hope I am wrong. The video was very vague imo.

Loque

21 Oct 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
21 Oct 2018
The Props are working on solving these performance issues. So I am waiting on that one.

Hidlide sounds a little depressed, hope I am wrong. The video was very vague imo.
Hm...if he is talking about leaving...thats weird.

Tbh, if PH did not added VST support, i had left Reason maybe 6 months later in the past. There was just too much stuff out there, that was for free or freaking cheap and could be used, that was easily more worth than the price of a new DAW. And i am eying Ableton Live since a while now too and Max aswell - i want the live feature, automation and sample editing and i remember, i worked freaking fast in Live.

My new computer works quite well, but the crackling here and there on my pretty fast new CPU is a bit weird.

I cross my fingers. PH made it just in time with the VST support to hold me on board. We will see what the near future will bring...
Reason12, Win10

4filegate

22 Oct 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
20 Oct 2018
avasopht wrote:
19 Oct 2018

No DAW can "optimise" a plugin's performance.

All DAWs can do is schedule a plugin to process audio. Plugins are executed by your CPU.
There does seem to be an significant increase in performance between the GeForce GTX 970M and the GeForce GTX 980M
970M vs 980M VR-Ready.jpg
970M vs 980M VR-Ready.jpg (602.62 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
... and I need 40 watts more power.

GeForce GTX 980M is the highest performance GPU for MXM graphics module designs available on the market.

There's a lot of uncertainty out there about using liquid metal. Manufacturers sells thermal paste that you can compare to the performance of dental products. We use thermal-grizzly Kryonaut thermal grease.

EnochLight

22 Oct 2018

4filegate wrote:
22 Oct 2018
There's a lot of uncertainty out there about using liquid metal.
Not to digress, but I didn't know there was any uncertainty about using liquid metal for a thermal compound to improve heat transfer to your cooling solution? De-lidding Intel CPU's and replacing the cheap thermal paste with liquid metal has been a thing for some time (Intel was using cheap thermal paste between their lids and the CPU cores up until the new line that just came out). I know it's pretty popular in the mod scene, anyway.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

floozproduction

01 Jan 2019

Hy guys, i had the same problem on my macbook pro 2018 16 gigabytes; i went to preferences system, display, colour and change in "sRGB IEC6119662.1". Now reason run faster than before even with vst. Bye

Wobbleburger

02 Jan 2019

floozproduction wrote:
01 Jan 2019
Hy guys, i had the same problem on my macbook pro 2018 16 gigabytes; i went to preferences system, display, colour and change in "sRGB IEC6119662.1". Now reason run faster than before even with vst. Bye
Thanks! Trying this tonight.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

bolandross

12 Jan 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
02 Jan 2019
Hey, did it improve things for you?

Oquasec

12 Jan 2019

I think that's because pc monitors don't use anything else but RGB.
I'm not sure if the hdmi port changes that but in general I think Pc monitors only use RGB...
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Hauser+Quaid

13 Jan 2019

bolandross wrote:
12 Jan 2019
Wobbleburger wrote:
02 Jan 2019
Hey, did it improve things for you?
Just posted about this in another topic. Definitely worked for me, improved lag, overall stability, and most importantly stopped my fans from running like crazy (used to happen after 30-40 mins usage). Haven't pushed it to any limit yet, but it's stopped the fan noise which was really bothersome to me.

Marco Raaphorst

14 Jan 2019

floozproduction wrote:
01 Jan 2019
I switched from Color LCD to sRGB IEC6119662.1 and noticed no difference in performance using the Activity Monitor.

Reason runs smoother if it uses the GPU, that's all.

ProfessaKaos

14 Jan 2019

I came across this video for PC users to dedicate the GPU to Apps. I tried it and it made the tiniest little bit of an improve, I mean the tiniest little bit. Hope it helps others more so.

Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2019

ProfessaKaos wrote:
14 Jan 2019
I came across this video for PC users to dedicate the GPU to Apps. I tried it and it made the tiniest little bit of an improve, I mean the tiniest little bit. Hope it helps others more so.

Reason uses the CPU to render graphics by default.. is there a way to change that?

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2019

Unfortunately my windows isn't showing the same settings as in that video so I can't follow along :/

ProfessaKaos

14 Jan 2019

aeox wrote:
14 Jan 2019
Unfortunately my windows isn't showing the same settings as in that video so I can't follow along :/
What Version/OS Build of Windows are you running?

I'm on Windows 10
Version 1803
OS Build 17134.523
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

Marco Raaphorst

14 Jan 2019

GPU doesn't do much performance wise but does protect your system from glitching when using low latency.

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2019

ProfessaKaos wrote:
14 Jan 2019
aeox wrote:
14 Jan 2019
What Version/OS Build of Windows are you running?

I'm on Windows 10
Version 1803
OS Build 17134.523
I updated my windows to 1809 and the setting appeared.

Although Reason still uses CPU to render the graphics, so I don't see any improvement.

Funny observation.. The update reinstalled Microsoft Edge :lol: :lol:

Arrant
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2019

In my eternal quest to improve Reason perfomance I found this article which explains realtime audio performance and optimization in the best way I've seen so far.

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... Processing

Using the tweaks mentioned here I was able to get a performance gain of around 5% in my system. Not much, but everything helps.

mon

15 Jan 2019

Graphics performance is my biggest (possibly only) problem I have with Reason. Most rack extensions that have some kind of display (ColoringEQ, Shape, Optic etc.) use more cycles to get displayed than to process the audio and often the difference is drastic. It is not uncommon a RE to eat up to 20+ percent when displayed, which get reduced to 1-5% immediately after minimizing or encapsulating the plugin in a combinator. I never had this problem in other DAWs except with very few VSTs (some of the Waves and ABL Pro comes to my mind). In Reason even displaying the spectrum analyzer or some of the players eats a lot of CPU. I don’t see the VST performance optimization as important as the general GPU optimizations. For me these CPU spikes makes the application barely useable for anything more than creating a collection of cool loops because after dropping few instruments (which are lighter on the CPU) I am barely left with any resources to star working on transitions and mixing. I am forced to render early which closes too many creative doors while arranging. I really do hope to see some progress in this area.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

aquil

22 Jan 2019

mon wrote:
15 Jan 2019
... I don’t see the VST performance optimization as important as the general GPU optimizations. For me these CPU spikes makes the application barely useable ...
This is currently also my main issue with Reason. You should try to excessively use the Block feature (a feature, i really like). It doesn't take much and the whole sequencer starts to get sloppy just for scrolling through... or when you move the dividers. Moving all the rendering stuff to the GPU would save us alot cpu power for actually more important stuff like audio processing. Also, a buttery smooth DAW just makes more fun to work with... I hope this will be addressed, soon.

Oquasec

22 Jan 2019

Take as much time as you need we aren't goin anywhere : /
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

antic604

23 Jan 2019

Jeez, how much misinformation in this thread...

1) No, Reason doesn't use GPU to render the GUI. It's the CPU that calculates location & state of all the graphical elements, draws all the lines, pixels, colours, shading, etc. into the buffer in RAM and then "sends" a pointer to that buffer to GPU for it to display it. Proper GPU-acceleration would take over most of that work from CPU, thus freeing up more of its power to do audio processing. That's why when you use multiple high-res monitors (or just have a weak CPU) and start scrolling busy rack or mixer your DSP goes up.

2) VSTs are run as separate programs. Some use GPU, most don't. Reason - or any other DAW - cannot change it.

3) There's no way a setting in Windows (or any other system) can force a program to "use GPU" if it only has software renderer, i.e. it draws the GUI using CPU, like I described in #1. To do that, the developers has to alter the code, re-writing it to use GPU APIs like Direct-X, Vulkan, Metal, etc. What that Windows setting does it just forces the programs that already use GPU to use *specified* GPU in systems that have 2+ of them, which is most of desktop PCs and many laptops. Nowadays all Intel processors have embedded GPUs and many programs by default will use that. The setting allows you to force Windows to run it one the discrete GPU instead, like your Nvidia or AMD graphics card. However, for DAWs this will not have a lot of impact, because drawing a 2D interface with few moving pieces is a small job even for the embedded GPUs. It's not a complex 3D or VR game.

ProfessaKaos

23 Jan 2019

Oquasec wrote:
22 Jan 2019
Take as much time as you need we aren't goin anywhere : /
Please don't, I am going insane here cause I can't finish song's. I just want to put music out.

• Information