Question for the vets

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Quality

11 Jan 2019

I'm new to the board and to reason so this might be a stupid question and I couldn't find the search function. When in reason how do I just get the sequencer to play and to bounce to mixer channels. It seems to play and grab everything, not just the patter I made if that makes any sense. Thanks.
100% Quality

Loque

11 Jan 2019

At first, search is left top in the quick links menu or in the top forum area.

You can bounce in place by right clicking the track and selecting the function from the pop up menu. Another way is to go to file menu and bounce mixer channels.
Reason12, Win10

Quality

11 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
11 Jan 2019
At first, search is left top in the quick links menu or in the top forum area.

You can bounce in place by right clicking the track and selecting the function from the pop up menu. Another way is to go to file menu and bounce mixer channels.
I get that, but the problem is it is bouncing everything, not in the sequence that I arrange the beat. It just takes it from the redrum as is and there is no intro to the beat even though i arranged one.

If that makes sense.
100% Quality

Loque

11 Jan 2019

You have note lanes for your drums? Than disable the patterns in Redrum.
Reason12, Win10

Quality

12 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
11 Jan 2019
I will try this, I do have the note lanes. I will disable the play back I think that's the issue?
100% Quality

EnochLight

12 Jan 2019

Quality wrote:
12 Jan 2019
Loque wrote:
11 Jan 2019
I will try this, I do have the note lanes. I will disable the play back I think that's the issue?
It sounds like this is likely your issue. Let us know how it goes!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Quality

12 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
12 Jan 2019
Quality wrote:
12 Jan 2019

It's odd, you would think it would just bounce mixer channels from what's on the sequencer only.
100% Quality

EnochLight

12 Jan 2019

Quality wrote:
12 Jan 2019
EnochLight wrote:
12 Jan 2019

It's odd, you would think it would just bounce mixer channels from what's on the sequencer only.
It's not odd at all. If you have any pattern devices playing their respective patterns, then they wouldn't bounce if they only bounced a sequencer note lane. Anyway, did you confirm that this was your issue?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Quality

12 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
12 Jan 2019
Quality wrote:
12 Jan 2019

It's not odd at all. If you have any pattern devices playing their respective patterns, then they wouldn't bounce if they only bounced a sequencer note lane. Anyway, did you confirm that this was your issue?
I turned off the pattern devices from running. Maybe I was using it wrong, I made patterns in the Redrum and when I select them in the sequencer I expect the patterns to play. Is that wrong?

Thanks for the help.

I will use the draw tool.
100% Quality

jam-s

12 Jan 2019

Quality wrote:
12 Jan 2019
EnochLight wrote:
12 Jan 2019

I turned off the pattern devices from running. Maybe I was using it wrong, I made patterns in the Redrum and when I select them in the sequencer I expect the patterns to play. Is that wrong?

Thanks for the help.

If you want to use the step sequencer in Redrum you might want to look in to pattern automation:
http://docs.propellerheads.se/reason10/ ... tml#602107
(you can even combine this with manually added notes for fills/intros if you want to.)

Quality

12 Jan 2019

jam-s wrote:
12 Jan 2019
Quality wrote:
12 Jan 2019

Thanks for the help.

If you want to use the step sequencer in Redrum you might want to look in to pattern automation:
http://docs.propellerheads.se/reason10/ ... tml#602107
(you can even combine this with manually added notes for fills/intros if you want to.)
Thanks Ill check this out
100% Quality

EnochLight

13 Jan 2019

Quality wrote:
12 Jan 2019
EnochLight wrote:
12 Jan 2019

Thanks for the help.

Looks like jam-s already pointed you to the manual explaining pattern devices. Basically, there's multiple ways of creating with devices like Redrum, Matrix, and any other pattern-based device. You can use the devices built-in pattern sequencer, and create a note lane for automating pattern changes and tweaking the device. Or you can create all of your patterns using the sequencer and send the patterns to track, in which case you need to shut off the pattern device's built-in sequencer. And of course, you can also play the devices with a MIDI controller and record in realtime, or - as you mentioned above - use the pencil tool and draw your steps into the sequencer (in which case, you should shut the pattern device's sequencer off as well).

There's an approach for everyone's style. :)

Quality

13 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
13 Jan 2019
Quality wrote:
12 Jan 2019

Thanks for the help.

Looks like jam-s already pointed you to the manual explaining pattern devices. Basically, there's multiple ways of creating with devices like Redrum, Matrix, and any other pattern-based device. You can use the devices built-in pattern sequencer, and create a note lane for automating pattern changes and tweaking the device. Or you can create all of your patterns using the sequencer and send the patterns to track, in which case you need to shut off the pattern device's built-in sequencer. And of course, you can also play the devices with a MIDI controller and record in realtime, or - as you mentioned above - use the pencil tool and draw your steps into the sequencer (in which case, you should shut the pattern device's sequencer off as well).

There's an approach for everyone's style. :)
Thanks. I appreciate it. I'm still new to Reason so I'm happy to learn all this.
100% Quality

EnochLight

14 Jan 2019

Quality wrote:
13 Jan 2019
Thanks. I appreciate it. I'm still new to Reason so I'm happy to learn all this.
No worries - glad we could help. If you get a moment, spend some time on Propellerhead's YouTube channel watching the guide videos. They have some of the most comprehensive tutorials in the industry:

Basic Tutorials:

Advanced Tutorials:

Reason 10 in particular:

And pretty much all of these apply to Reason today (Record was just pre-Reason 6.0):

Quality

16 Jan 2019

Thanks for the help.
100% Quality

• Information